Another cool Antique Store Find This Razor Was Never Used.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Another antique store find in a small town. I picked up this this circa 1949 Gold Gem Ultralight razor with the gold metal handle tip for $10.00 cash (they wanted $20.00 for it). This razor has never been used ever and is in original new condition with case and razors. Probably sat in a drawer for years never touched.

Sweet collection find I will never shave with it.

Happy Shaves To All,
    Bill G

EED481DE-F32E-4945-BB5C-1A5C347523EC.jpeg

CA240488-DC57-4C85-84B5-D648BC4ADCE5.jpeg 46C185C1-6D51-4BA2-BB0F-3CC43A822B04.jpeg 1C05B949-0CB8-4BF4-BC4C-A7841F52A2FB.jpeg

Enrico, Ron R, Jorvaljr and 11 others like this.
  2. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

That's a great find! It's amazing to me that things get tucked away, only to be found again after such a long time.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Bill G like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Fantastic find! The Gem featherweight gives nice shaves.

4. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Nice Score! I vote you shave with it though.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It certainly is a great score, but I found it far too light for my liking. Almost like a cart razor, I felt it needed pressure, and we all know that shaving with pressure is not a good thing.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Excellent find. Great shaver, too.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Featherweights are still a dime a dozen just get another one to use.

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Nice NOS find. It’s not an “Ultralight” it’s actually a Feather Weight (two words) and they were not made in 1949. GEM made them from 1953-1958 when it was replaced by the Push-Button.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Actually from fall (September )1950.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Well, I’ll be, I don’t recall ever seeing an ad for the FW putting it’s production as early as 1950. Thanks for the correction!

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To add to this
    There are 2 styles of Featherweights as seen here. Thin head and fatter head like the Heavy Flat Top aka G-bar razors.
    fw2.jpg

The first iteration of the featherweight with the thin head came out in 1950 and was sold along side the last iteration of the Micromatic Bullet Tip razor aka the ones with the yellow plastic knobs.
    1950ad.jpg

They started calling them V slim flat tops with the introduction of the V heavy flat top razors aka the G-Bar in 1955.
    1955ftad.jpg

1956fwad.jpg

Either later in 56 or 57 they went back to the featherweight name.

2nd iteration of the Featherweight happens sometime 56 or later. 1958 both versions are discontinued for the Push Button Gem razor.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  13. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Great information thank you.

Bill G

14. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

More great information thanks.

Bill G

15. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I originally got the 1949 date from a pic of the exact razor I have from a sales add for one just like mine from a vintage razor site online. They may have also been wrong on there information.

Thanks,
    Bill G

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's possible there was test marketing in 1949 but I've found no reference to it prior to '50.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Bill G likes this.
  17. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

I felt that way about the pushbutton. I have tried all but the bullet tip (have it, need to try it), and the one that hits the sweet spot for me is the Gem Jr.

Bill G likes this.