A Different DE Blade Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheBurgh, Mar 14, 2022.

1. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Let's do something a little different for a blades thread. More depth, more specific.

Plenty of "favorite blades" threads scattered here and elsewhere. Thousands of "I like..." listings. Interesting and fun but overwhelming in numbers of postings for others seeking particular types of blades. Comparison charts? Dated and incomplete.

All can agree that useable DE blades have a range of cutting strengths (using a variety of descriptors), a better defined, narrower and more useful criteria. So, let's categorize our favorites - one blade brand/type per category - by our opinion of their edginess (to best match up with complimentary razors):

MILD
    MODERATE
    AGGRESSIVE

Please confine your choices to readily available, still-in-production blades, and only one brand/type (your favorite) per category. And, yes, stipulated on all posts that E(EVERONE'S)MMV.

Lastly, bonus points. Match your favorite razor to each of one, two or all three of your blade choices. Price is not a factor here; your actual shaving favorite combinations are the crux.

Example: MILD - Lord Super Stainless
    Paired with Muhle R41 ( My favorite aggressive razor).

With your generous contributions, we can make this a reference quality resource for many shavers. We novices will be especially grateful.

Thank You!

Hembree, Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't buy into blades being "mild" or "aggressive." All blades are sharp, that's why we buy them. There isn't a blade out there that says, "Well, I'm a mild blade so I'll go easy on this guy. " All blades will bite you if you're not paying attention and/or getting sloppy with your technique. I've heard too many folks say, self included, that blade x will work well in razor y but stinks in razor z. That tells me aggressiveness, or even mildness, is a function of the razor, not the blade.

I will say I have found some blades to be sharper than others. Some I just don't like regardless of the razor they're in.

But that's me.

PLANofMAN, gorgo2, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Feathers are aggressive
    Voshkod are moderate
    Generic blades ( ming shi ) are mild

Feathers with super speeds and techs
    Voshkods with anything
    Generic blades with R41

All blades are sharp, but feathers reap havoc on my face where other dont. A mild razor benefits by the sharpness . The voshkods work with anything so yeah. And generic blades just dont feel as sharp to me so when i use them i like to put them in a R41, or a parker / progress.

I use to think blades are blades and thats that, but trying what i thought were bad blades like rockwell or ming shi and putting them in the r41 made mediocre blades into really good blades.

my 2 pennies.

Hogie, TheBurgh, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  4. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Thanks for the excellent comment.

Your 2 cents = $1.

Hembree likes this.
  5. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Well, from your razor perspective, assuming that your only razor is a Mule r41 and that you agree with others that it is an aggressive razor, which blades give you different degrees of shaves?

Hembree likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Mild: Voskhod, smooth & but not the sharpest blade out there but works well in aggressive razors. Longevity can be limited to 3-5 shaves for my beard type.
    Moderate: Gillette silver blue, excellent balanced blade meaning sharp & Smoooth. 4-5 shaves then starts to drop off. Very enjoyable shave. It can cost more than other Gillette blades but worth it IMO. Gillette 7oClock SP(alternative to GSB IMO). If you have a favorite razor you should notice the sharpness and smoothness, first blade to get a BBS with when I first started traditional wet shaving.
    Aggressive: Kai SS, this blade is awesome because it is extra wide by 9/1000 or 4.5/1000 inches per side. Sharp & smooth with excellent longevity 8-12 shaves seems to be what I have witnessed. They are pricier than other DE blades but you get more shaves and they just work excellent in mild razors that need a little more blade feel or blade exposure. This blade is superior to shimming a razor and will give great results from the razors I have used it in.
    YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Feather in a Feather Popular is one of my favorite combos. Feather blades are known for sharpness. The Feather Popular is known for mildness.

ASCO Orange in a Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed is another. Blue tips are known for mildness, ASCO Orange you don’t hear much about, but they are my favorite and I consider them very efficient and precise. Feather's also work nicely with this razor.

I mostly shave with injectors though.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    TheBurgh, Hembree, Ron R and 2 others like this.
  8. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Blade can not be mild or aggressive.
    Can only be sharp or dull.

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Good to see your posts @analog

10. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

[​IMG] This is subjective, non-scientific, simplified and dependant upon razor and user. NONTHELESS, helpful for some as a starting point for further investigation and trial. That's the point of this thread.

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Still no love for Bic blades!

Hogie and TheBurgh like this.
  12. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

For me a blade either works for me or it doesn't regardless of the razor.

Silver Blues
    7 o'clock green super stainless
    Kai SS
    Polsilver

All these blades provide smooth, effortless shaves for me whether it be a tech, 6C, red tip or Karve. The inverse is true for blades that don't work for me.

13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Totally.
    But personally i would have swapped the personna and the astra green .. hmm

Ijustmissedthe50s and TheBurgh like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

love everything sharp but derby extra..no reason why..:eatdrink047:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

I just got 100 of the orange. Hope I like.

16. Kilgore Trout

Bold move. Let me say I have given samples to a dozen or more shavers over the last 12 years and not one was disappointed. I truly hope you like them. I find them quite affordable.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  17. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

not so bold...it was a $6 add on to an order i made.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  18. Kilgore Trout

Excellent. Let us know your thoughts after you try them.

19. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I like Feathers in my most aggressive razors like my open comb SN250, Parker 94R, and my Muhle R41.
    Closest shaves are had with these combos.

I get really close shaves with just about any combo but, the best are with Feathers in an aggressive razor. Cartridge razors always gave me razor burn and I hated shaving. LOVE shaving now!
    I stopped using my Vikings Blade "Chieftain" because I could not even feel a Feather blade in it! VERY mild razor!
    It felt like I was shaving with no blade!