What shavette did you use today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ischiapp, Feb 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

March 27 SOTA

Dovo Shavette

20220327_160649.jpg

Steve56 likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I used the Kai Kamisori with a Feather Proguard blade. I haven’t used a shavette in a while, due to the sparse leg-hair growth caused by my cancer medication. (Much of the time, the electric will do an adequate job.) But today,, I was in a mood for a BBS.

Got it, with a couple of nicks, which I will chalk up to lack of practice.

3. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

A shave today with one of the pre production models of the Essence Tedalus

[​IMG]

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Get well soon Sara-s !

Trigger, jgreenepa and Sara-s like this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

All the best on your recovery, Sara! I’m an eight year bone cancer survivor! Just remember, it’s always darkest before the dawn! Glad to see you posting.

Trigger, Sara-s and brit like this.
  6. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Feather DX shave day 3 went well.
    DSCN6223.JPG

Trigger and jgreenepa like this.
  7. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

My shave with the Feather DX went well today. I had my Gillette Tech for cleanup but, didn't use it. My first complete shave using just the DX. I started out with a Light blade for the first pass. I was not impressed with how it shaved so, I switched to the ProGuard blade for 2 more passes and got SUPER close shave with only one nick on my upper lip. I am amazed at how close I got! Sir Hare was the soap of choice. This was day 4 of shaving with the DX and the first with no cleanup with a DE razor. Very enjoyable 3-pass shave!
    DSCN6292.JPG

Trigger and jgreenepa like this.
  8. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

E55010C0-A3A1-4A74-B638-007DAC474675.png
    SOTD MONDAY MORNING, MAY 16, 2022

Edward Weck emigrated from Solingen, Germany and opened his cutlery company showroom in 1890 in Manhattan, with manufacturing facilities in Brooklyn.

According to “Brownstoner”,
    “Weck invented the precursor of the multi-blade razor, and patented it in 1909.”

[n.b. Incorrect!! In actuality, they’d been around quite awhile. Antoinne LeCoultre invented the first replaceable blade razor in 1830, 79 yrs earlier]

“It was called the Weck Sextoblade. The “sex” in “sextoblade” for all those whose imaginations just woke up, meant “six.” Sorry! Weck’s razor came with six blades all attached at the base, able to be folded back into the handle and secured by a safety guard. Each blade could be extended when needed, and if all were stropped and sharpened at once, this razor could last a long time before the next sharpening. For its day, it was quite revolutionary.”

In 1917 he incorporated under the name ‘Edward Weck & Son’, finally passing away from heart disease in 1922. His son, Albert, moved the company into surgical instruments, made for both the military and medical community. The company continued until 1999 when it was acquired by Squibb. Today’s mug shave featured my Weck Sextoblade. The razor came from the estate of a third party beauty/shaving supplies salesman and former barber, according to his great-granddaughter.

My first shave with it featured a newly purchased Personna hair shaper blade, however, I noticed that the spine appeared to have a fair bit of hone wear. From the deep grooves observed, I would suspect the rather rough use of a Diamond plate. In any case, I removed and soaked the original Sextoblade blade that arrived with the razor in barbicide when it first arrived about 7 months ago, That morning I ran it across my Swaty barber’s hone with some Smith’s Honing oil, after placing it back in the razor, until the edge looked good under my USB microscope.

I believe that the original blade had never been removed, as I was unable to remove it with my fingers when it first arrived, and needed a needle nose pliers to do so. Judging by the amount of shave residue on the original Sextoblade blade coupled with the hone wear on the spine, I believe the former owner treated it just like a regular straight and never removed it from the razor. In fact the original blade looks like it is double beveled. The shave angle on this old antique tool is virtually identical to the angle I use with my regular straight razors. My new Koenig barber’s hone and a little shave cream polished up the blade nicely. The two and a half pass mug shave with it that followed this morning was excellent leaving me smooth as a peach.

Unlike many of my shave brothers and sisters out there, I’ve never been a fan of Gillette TTO’s. I do own a few, but have been selling all but my father’s and grandfather’s safety razors. My father owned two Gillette adjustables, a Gold Black Beauty long handled adjustable and a Slim. My grandfather shaved with an old beat up single ring from a WWI military khaki kit that I also have. The only Gillettes that really ring my chimes, however, are any of the second generation ‘New’ models. So this morning I grabbed my silver plated Gillette New Standard/Bostonian, loaded a fresh Feather blade and had at my noggin stubble! Two delightful ATG passes later and your happy narrator was smooth as a peach from noggin to neck.

RAZOR: Weck Sextoblade (Mug), Gillette New Standard/Bostonian (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: JR LE #374 Cashmere Synth
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

Trigger, PLANofMAN and Hogie like this.
  9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

VERY interesting! Nice setup! I, too, do not like the Gillette TTO Flares I have for shaving anymore. They are just way too mild for my liking. Now that I have more aggressive razors, the Gillettes will be for the collection only. I will still use the Slim tho set on 7 or 9.:eatdrink047:

PLANofMAN and jgreenepa like this.
  10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Shavette that Jeff gifted me with a fresh ProGuard blade. Nice shave! This weekend I will use the Feather DX with a ProGuard blade.

Nice and smooth with no cuts, nicks, or weepers. 3-pass shave WTG, ATG, XTG with minor pickup.

DSCN8225.JPG

PLANofMAN, mrchick, Sara-s and 3 others like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Were any of those manufactured? I've seen many Weck razors, and the early ones (Weck A & B) came in a seven day set, with slots for 6 blades in the case and one in the razor.

The description above makes it sound like a Swiss army knife, with all the blades fitting into the handle.

brit likes this.
  12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The shave went better than I thought it would with the DX. I did a 2-pass shave that was OK but, not as close as I like. I fully expected my face to scream when I ran the alum bar over it but, no irritation at all! I am getting better with the Feather DX.

Chiseled Face "Ghost Town Barber" whipped with my Simpson Trafalgar T1 brush
    Proraso Blue pre-shave
    Feather DX with a ProGuard blade (1)
    Thayers Aloe & Witch Hazel
    Geo F Trumper balm and Pinaud "Whiskey Woods"

Washed face and warmed beard with HOT washcloth while I bloomed the soap with HOT water. I had plenty of lather for my 2-pass shave. I am more careful with cleanup with this shavette so, I did not get as close as I like. There is always tomorrow. I did not want to try too hard and irritate my face. I was fully expecting irritation but was pleasantly surprised I had none! The Guard blade is a bit rough feeling so, very light touch. Maybe I will use the other shavette tomorrow.

I hope all have a fine day!

DSCN8265.JPG

13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Chiseled Face "Ghost Town Barber" lathers nicely. The shave was not as pleasant today with the DX. I got several cuts. Good feedback from the alum bar. Time to shelve the DX for a while. Back to my DE razors and the SE razors. I guess these shavettes are not for me! At least, not on a regular basis.

DSCN8280.JPG

PLANofMAN and mrchick like this.
  14. Trigger

JULY 20

Parker SRB

20220720_171244.jpg

PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  15. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Today was my 4th shave with my Focus R28. Only cut myself once.
    IMG_20220713_134520716~3.jpg
    2 shaves cut free. 2 shaves with a cut each time. I'm running at 50% efficiency!
    :)
    - Bax

PLANofMAN, GoodShave and Trigger like this.
  16. Trigger

Are you new to shavette shaving?

17. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Nope, I'm not new to shavette shaving at all... I've done it FOUR TIMES!
    - Bax

PLANofMAN and Trigger like this.
  18. Trigger

Lol! You are still a newbie. Convention states that it takes 100 shaves to be competent with a shavette. May I suggest looking at this thread to give you more tips on shavette shaving. The TSD title is:
    Straight Razor and Shavette Guide for Newbies

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll check it out, to make sure they're presenting valid advice. Because, as of a moment ago, I'm a FIVE shave know-it-all!
    - Bax

PLANofMAN and Trigger like this.
  20. Trigger

Lol! Most of the advice was from my experience in my early experience. However, others have commented with very good advice as well. Be blessed.

PLANofMAN likes this.