Have Merkur Progress considering different

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ChrisJ, Apr 18, 2022.

1. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted... I'm sorry.
    I've been using a Merkur Progress with Astra SP blades for a few years now and one thing I've noticed is I pretty much need the razor adjusted all the way down or very close to it. With it adjusted all the way down or maybe 1 number up I do very well but my face gets irritated easily.

One of the reasons I went with the Progress is I often go a month or 2 without shaving and then need to remove a lot all at once. I get teased about this (Why don't I just use an electric razor etc), but I believe if you're going to do something, do it right or not at all. ;)

If I wanted to try another handle, which would you recommend and why?

I was thinking about a Merkur 25C......

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

if you shaved more frequently for a while your skin would get more used to it..
    or try it on a higher level so less passes are needed.:)

jimjo1031 and PanChango like this.
  3. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

You might want to take down the heavy growth with hair clippers before hitting the face with a razor blade. However, I find the clippers add unwanted irritation; that is why I turned to regular head shaving. Less to remove made for more comfortable shaving.

@brit is also correct: your skin will accommodate to more frequent shaving. Once per week might be a better shaving schedule to keep it more comfortable.

And by all means, take full advantage of an adjustable razor. Open it up more, but do not apply pressure to the skin. I love the Progress.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  4. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

I think there's been some confusion.
    The Progress works for me, very well in fact.

I just want to add another razor to the collection. I've got the Progress as well as a Parker Shavette, I think an SR1.

I'm more looking for a fixed handle that will perform like the Progress does around setting #1 or #2. I'm not unhappy with the Progress.

I probably should've just said that..... I'm sorry.

ewk and brit like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It has been a decade since I have used a Progress so I do not remember the details of how aggressive it was. If you are only shaving once a month or less, I would look at an open comb razor as it would not get clogged as much as the progress. I have not kept up on things and primarily use vintage Gillette razors when I use a DE.

If you can find a Long Comb Gillette New, that might work for you. It isn't overly aggressive, but it does have a different face feel. It is one of my best shavers.

Regarding once a month and irritation. When I skip shaving for a week or two, I get a pretty rough shave unless I spend some extra time on the prep.

Good luck and enjoy your shaves.

*Edit to add.... I just saw your suggestion of the Merkur 25c. I had the 11c which was a 2 piece OC Merkur, but used the same head. It was overly mild and I had to work harder than I had wanted to get a close shave. Give it a shot and see what you think.

ewk, Tdmsu, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Perhaps a 2nd gen Muhle R41 is worth a try.

ChrisJ and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

vintage non adjustable,mild-gillette blue tip,regular flare tip,tech.schick hydromatic injector
    modern non adjustable-razorock mamba.
    or open comb-gillette new long or short comb..
    i have had or still use most of these with exception to the blue tip.each have a sweet spot that comes into play when used a few times and muscle memory is established..

jimjo1031, ewk and ChrisJ like this.
  8. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Yes, a vintage Schick injector would be perfect. There are no lather channels to clog. They are very efficient, and relatively inexpensive and available. G and J are my personal favorites. If not interested in vintage, a modern Parker adjustable injector is a little less efficient. I have heard good things about the Supply injectors, but I have not used one.

brit likes this.
  9. nav

nav Well-Known Member

- Above the tie - Windsor SSMR2

This is a mild open comb. Gap of 0.4mm but with the comb, it'll take down long growth with the comfort of progress #2.

- Yates Precision 921 with the hybrid plate

This is also a very comfortable razor. Gap of 0.68mm with neutral exposure.
    One side is open comb and other closed. Would work great to take down longer growth with the open side and then the closed side for the remaining shave.

- Blackbird open comb

This has a small gap of 0.58mm But a massive blade exposure.

Lots of blade feel but in a secure way, not a threatening way like it's going to bite.

This suggestion is to prompt research, not a blind buy because the exposure/blade feel is not for everyone.

But I just have a feeling it may work well for your purposes.

brit likes this.
  10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The Progress is one of my favorite razors. I usually keep mine set around 2.5, which sounds about like where you like yours. If I were to pick something that feels similar to that, I'd say the Timeless Ti .68 is pretty close. You could also get a Parker Variant but it's so close to a Progress, it might not scratch the itch you have.

It you're going to stick with only occasional shaving, an open comb may be a good choice as others have said. The Gillette NEW Short Comb is probably my favorite of those. Or you could try an R41. It's much more aggressive than any of the others but shaves great if you keep the pressure off and it will mow down a lot of growth very quickly.

brit likes this.
  11. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

A gem junior is a good choice. My son suffered from severe maskne the last couple of years. A wild found gem junior helped him get.back in the habit of daily shaving. It is mild, efficient, and allows him to avoid teenage whisker shagginess without irritating very sensitive skin.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    brit likes this.