What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why??

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DaltonGang, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

100 Silver Star .
    Why? Sharp, smooth, under $8/100

2. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Recently I placed an order for the following 100 packs of blades.
    Supermax Diamond Edge
    Tatra Platinum
    Personna made in America (I’m not sure if they’re lab blues or med preps. It comes in a blue box)
    I’ve tried the first 2 brands and really enjoyed the shave, but I haven’t tried the American made Personnas.

3. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Did you ever try the Merkur blades? I found they never really degrade - they start out terrible and just stay that way.
    :shaver

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I don't remember ever trying them. But, I've tried so many that it is hard to keep up, at times.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Some blade are like that ..... but at least they're consistent. :happy097:

:)

6. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

I just bought 2 X 15 slide packs of Gillette "Spoilers" in the white hard shell. These blades weren't plastie wrapped or box but just in the slide pack. I was most skeptical as to whether or not they'd be cleaned up old blades but when they got here there was no question they were new and unused. Or course I had to load one into my newly and first acquired Red Tip Flare and I lathered and had one of the best shaves I can remember. So I bought the other 30 Spoilers the guy had for sale.

Weren't the Spoilers supposed to be good for 20 shaves? I don't know but they're as sharp and as smooth as any blades of the 3,000 plus blades I have. :)

I'm not even sure when they were manufactured. Early 7o's I reckon.

7. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:.i have some and love them.i stopped at 10 shaves just,well i did.no reason.i got one rough edge but could have been user error.so far no loss in money spent.:):eatdrink047:

Ijustmissedthe50s and MacDaDad like this.
  8. MacDaDad

Well, like I say, I was quite surprised by the quality of shave the Spoiler gave me. As sharp as a feather but as smooth as a Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge. I have a bunch others that are as smooth but the Yellow serves the purpose of comparison here. I'm getting old and getting slow, and I now shave about every other day instead of everyday. There's golf to play and walks to take in the morning, then coffee to drink. ;) :eatdrink047:

9. brit

brit in a box

we we duped into carts..;):eatdrink047:

MacDaDad likes this.
  10. MacDaDad

The way I figure it the carts were cheaper to manufacture and the steel used was of a lessor grade/quality/annealing process and the companies could continue raising their prices. Truth be told I don't know what the companies plans and objectives were other than making a profit.

I believe the old blades were as sharp as you can hone an edge but I believe the grade/types of steel used and how they were annealed created an edge that maintained an edge longer. You can only get an edge so sharp. ;) And that is all I know. :)

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i agree..:):eatdrink047:

MacDaDad likes this.
  12. MacDaDad

And now if I could find the allusive English Gillette Red Rip Rocket I'd be satisfied. You know, something to go along with those new/old "Spoilers" I've just obtained. :D:eatdrink047:

DaltonGang, Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i had the brit red tip rocket and passed it along.i know have the brit red tip superspeed.it feels like a smoother shaver..same head.:)

Jorvaljr and MacDaDad like this.
  14. MacDaDad

I wonder where a guy could find one of those? :cool:

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

Jorge has one. @Jorvaljr .

Jorvaljr likes this.
  16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Technically 2;) but 2 Uk Redtip superspeeds not rockets

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. MacDaDad

And the quest continues "part II". ;)

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i like the brit ss red tip shave more than the rocket version.:)

MacDaDad and Jorvaljr like this.
  20. MacDaDad

Yes but isn't the US version of the Red Tip the same as the English version? The English Super Speed doesn't have the drop down knob, does it? The descriptions of the English Red Tip and the Red Tip Rocket are confusing. JAT

brit likes this.