Witch Hazel Question

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by lamontqsanford, Dec 7, 2008.

1. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Sometimes, I just drink Witch Hazel. Cleans out my insides.

Sometimes I use it before A/S splashes as a toner.

2. Iceman

Iceman New Member

+1

WH makes a great skin toner after shaving but has no lingering impact.

Just my $.02

3. erictski

erictski Member

I will use Thayers Lavender at any time during the day...leaves a nice feel on my face...

but during a shave i use the wh after my alum block...before any alcohol or as balm

4. Blades

Blades New Member

I have just been puting witch hazel on my damp face. I guess I need to pat my face dry first.
    Learn something new about shaving every week. Thanks.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

YMMV
    YMMV
    YMMV

If that's been working for you, stick with it. I pat mine dry because I feel like when it's wet I'm "watering down" the effect of the WH. Try it with the pat down, then decide which way you like it.

6. autarkic

autarkic New Member

Except from how stuff works:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/witch-hazel-herbal-remedies.htm

"Witch hazel may have gotten its name from its association with dowsing, which was once thought to be a form of witchcraft. Witch hazel's branches were once the wood of choice for dowsing rods, whose purpose was to locate water, or "witch" a well...

The bark, leaves, and twigs of witch hazel are all high in tannins, giving this plant astringent properties. Astringents are substances that can dry, tighten, and harden tissues. You may use an astringent on your skin to tighten pores and remove excess oil.

A styptic pencil is a type of astringent, too, for astringents also stop discharges. The astringent tannins in witch hazel temporarily tighten and soothe aching varicose veins or reduce inflammation in cases of phlebitis (an inflammation of a vein). Witch hazel also contains procyanadins, resin, and flavonoids, all of which add to its soothing, anti-inflammatory properties..."

I have been reading about it a bit and was keen to try it in my routine in the place of the alum block I use now.

7. Blades

Blades New Member

Sounds like a good idea. I'm still a newbie with wet shaving, so I am still experimenting.

8. bravefish

bravefish Member

It's either one or the other for me, not both. Most Witch Hazels contain a little alcohol, and my AS splash contains Witch Hazel... so what would be the point.

But when I use witch hazel (usually after a rough shave) I put on an aftershave balm afterwards.

9. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Shave, rinse, pat dry, apply Thayers, let dry while cleaning up, and then apply AS if desired. I also use it sometimes during the day, just to clean and tone my face. Try it you might like it!