Learning to shave @69

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Thashavecave, May 15, 2022.

1. Thashavecave

Thashavecave Member

New to wet shaving and enjoying this new learning event. Always just kept a disposable blade setup in the shower and never really thought about it. Just zip, zip, done. I was using a subscription service for the last few years and then they got woke. Pissed me off with their nutty bs. Read an article by Mike Rowe in which he was exclaiming his fondness for his DE razor with Wilkinson sword blades. Hmmm, so I bought a cheap Vikings Blade chieftain only to learn I really LIKE shaving slow & careful...alot. Then I found an old Gilette X1 from my birth year (52) and I swear it shaves even better! So now I'm hooked and setting out to learn as many of the nuances as I can. BTW, I've already noticed there are some really interesting characters here. Thanks for the welcome!

Frank Shaves, Hogie, MR41 and 8 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

3. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD, have some great shaves!

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome aboard!

Hmmmm... so I see you chose to use the word "interesting". :think002:

Ooooooo-kay. Not necessarily the word I would use for many of these folk ;), but I can work with that. :p

6. Thashavecave

Thashavecave Member

Don't forget I'm a Newby! Give me some time...lol

7. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Welcome @Thashavecave to the Den! We actually have a learner’s thread here for either safety razors or straights! Check out the Shave School thread and select May! Enjoy your time here!

8. Thashavecave

Thashavecave Member

Certainly enjoying thus far. Thanx

Frank Shaves and jgreenepa like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Glad to have you with us Jack. Yes we've been called all sorts of things ..... interesting is one of the nicest. I mainly use vintage ....... Gillette. Schick, Wilkinson and Gem. Most of the time I'm lazy and use Barbasol. I enjoy restoring shaving brushes and probably have somewhere between 50 to 100 brushes (honestly haven't counted); butterscotch brushes are my latest interest.

:)

Keith

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Barbasol now comes in a 10 oz. can for the price of the smaller one(7).

Frank Shaves, jgreenepa and Enrico like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome, @Thashavecave , to The Shave Den from the North Cackalacky Division.
    [​IMG]

Frank Shaves likes this.
  12. Thashavecave

Thashavecave Member

Many thanks! Enjoying several of the threads in this forum.

Frank Shaves, brit and Hogie like this.
  13. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

Welcome!

I was 64 when I started wet shaving so you got me beat by a few. Also found a birthday razor but technically it is one calendar quarter older than myself. Take your time and enjoy!

Frank Shaves and Hogie like this.
  14. Thashavecave

Thashavecave Member

15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I re-discovered wet shaving at 65. I used a Gillette TTO back in the mid-70's but had a full beard for many years. I got tired of the hassles of the beard but, fell into the Dollar Shave Club expensive junk cartridges. Hated shaving until I started looking and discovered using a brush and pre-shave and the soaps & balms. I am hooked! Vintage Gillettes and even the 1912 Star single edge. I really like the new single edge razors too! (Razorock Hawk v3) with a Feather Professional blade.

Welcome to The Den! Lots of good info and folks here.

Frank Shaves likes this.
  16. Thashavecave

Thashavecave Member

Thanks for the reply. I've been getting into the old gillettes as well. Really enjoying the ritual of finding those small missed patches...lol About to send in my 62 slim adjustable to razor emporium for a revamp. Should also be receiving a 59 fatboy from ebay today and bought it cheap with razor emporium rhodium treatment in mind. Now it's time to start checking out different blades. When I started this I really didn't expect shaving to turn into a hobby! All the best!

Frank Shaves, Ron R, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome aboard! Never too old to learn something !

Frank Shaves, Ron R and Hogie like this.
  18. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

"BTW, I've already noticed there are some really interesting characters here. "

What? Who? Where?

Welcome aboard!

Hogie likes this.