Gillette I.D. please?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CmdrBond, Apr 29, 2012.

1. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

Just been loaned 2 Gillette's by my dad, and he has 2 more which he has kept.

Of the two he kept, one appeared to be a Gillette Slim Twist, the other looks like a FatBoy but without the adjustable blade. It is definately a TTO, it is also my Grandads, so could be the precurser to the FatBoy.

Anyway, onto the 2 he loaned me.

Both are stamped "Made in England"

One (on the left) appears to be brass and is a travel type where the handle splits into 2 parts and the other (on the right) is a silvery colour - cannot tell if it is steel, nickel or aluminium (no magnet to hand) with a rather nice knurled handle and the Gillette Diamond logo stamped or etched into the face or top of the razor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GDCarrington and KLF like this.
  2. Issac

Issac Member

CmdrBond likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The 4-piece Tech would be from the British Gillette No. 26 set:
    [​IMG]

CmdrBond and GDCarrington like this.
  4. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

Cheers - The one on the right feels light enough for Aluminium.

A quick Google places that head on some of the ball-end alu handles - I don't know if it is original or a FrakenRazor - unfortunately I will never find out either.

5. IAmTheJody

The one on the right is most definitely an aluminum Tech. But it is definitely also a FrankenRazor. The acid-etched logo head caps were from the 1940s and 1950s but the aluminum Techs in this particular style didn't come about until the 1960s. Gillette did make an aluminum Tech in the 1960s that looks similar but the logo is press-stamped into the head-cap instead of acid-etched and the handle is a bit different at the neck and at the end. You can see it below:

[​IMG]

CmdrBond and GDCarrington like this.
  6. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

Cheers

7. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

That tech is not a frankenrazor. The handle in the two pictures do not match. I had one of those and some one told me what it was; mine was also made in England. I wish I could remember or find the thread, but it was 3 years ago on a different BB.

CmdrBond likes this.
  8. dreadpirate

Ok - I think that B&B thread is the one I was thinking of.

9. IAmTheJody

Those acid-etched logos on the head-cap were only made in the 1940s and 1950s. This style of aluminum Tech didn't come until the 1960s. So unless someone can prove otherwise, I'll stand by my ID as a mis-matched head-cap.

CmdrBond likes this.
  10. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

That Tech-Kaloderma is a nice looking razor, like the handle.

11. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

Newsflash

I don't think it is a frankenrazor after all - I found one on eBay

[​IMG]

12. IAmTheJody

That's a mis-match set as well. Again, this style of aluminum handle did not come about until the 1960s. The bakelite cases and acid-etch logo head caps were only available in the 1940s and 1950s.

This is what's supposed to be in that case:
    [​IMG]

CmdrBond likes this.
  13. prsman23

prsman23 New Member

Whatever it is it looks great, frankenrazor or not!

14. dreadpirate

And I am sure it's a descent shaver as well. I have seen Chinese clones that look similar; doubt they are as well made though.

15. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    If you zoom in, it looks like the instructions say No 24... obviously the box says No 26.