SoS: May 2022

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by ram57, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Wednesday morning:

Stirling Mentholated Pre Shave Soap
    Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Wilkinson Sword/new Shark
    Stirling Frozen Tundra SS
    Prep ASB
    Floid Vigoroso AS Splash

Finally after at least a year I was able to gather up enough courage to use this big, beautiful looking Wilkinson Sword DE that I bought - perhaps I used it twice or three times but I got very disappointed with it because I cut myself each time so I put it away and ignored it but today I decided to get back in the saddle and I was very pleased. The trick is to go slowly and to focus on what you’re doing - my problem is that I’m generally a very fast shaver but this baby tells you to slow down and take your time so that you’ll enjoy the shave and get the job done right. The Frozen Tundra soap has such a beautiful scent which is a blend of peppermint, wintergreen, and earthy notes, the lather is typically Stirling - rich, super slick, and protective, the menthol sensation is very strong - in fact it’s Rod’s second coldest soap after the Glacials, and it’s so skin friendly. The Prep felt so good when I massaged it on, and the Floid Vigoroso aftershave’s delightful old school barbershop scent along with its icy cold menthol punch completed the job perfectly. Two passes were enough for a super duper BBS shave!

Enjoy your day and your shaves - be well and safe!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Thanks, Barry! The R41 is always a joy to use, and the blade did the job well.

Thorsten69, palmolive fox and Ron R like this.
  3. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Blackland Dart / Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless
    Simpson T3
    Stirling Sandalwood 20220522_124958.jpg

8/19/1942

4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, May 25th 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo.72, Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, 316 stainless constructed, excellent design for under the nose area, I get some of the best shaves with this DE razor and mostly carefree shaving + no blade tabs sticking out.
    Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(1) excellent blade, sharp & smoooth + reasonable longevity.
    Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice mild scent + excellent lather qualities. Makes great ubber lather(mixed in remnants of previous soap.
    Brush : Yaqi black marble 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Pinaud clubman with witch hazel.
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
    SOTD May 25 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

3BD4E116-20B6-4F71-A60B-DBCC3337C50D.jpeg
    SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, MAY 25, 2022

This morning’s shave featured the F. Herder 49 15/16 which I greatly prefer over the Wade & Butcher FBU. Granted it’s a more modern, hollow ground blade, but boy does it know it’s business! Three passes and all was right with the world. The Rex Adjustable wide open did what it always does and cleared away the noggin stubble effortlessly. Two ATG passes left me velveteen smooth from neck to noggin!

Tomorrow’s going to be a different kind of shave! I’ll be using a Japanese Pechika 3/8 which arrived unhoned. This morning it went from the Chosera 1k, to the Shapton 1.5k, Shapton 5k, Shapton 8k, Chosera 12k, and was finished on the Gokumyo 20k. It poppin’ hairs and styrofoam. There’s a myth out there that narrow blades are unsuited for heavy beards. I have a heavy beard, and believe that sharp is sharp, and that any well honed blade, regardless of width will cut keratin fiber (i.e. hair follicles). We’ll see!

RAZOR: F. Herder 49 15/16 (Mug), Rex Adjustable (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE LE #007 Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot
    CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent Gel and a very light Alt-Innsbruck AS Splash.

6. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Williams Wednesday

Lather: vintage Williams mug soap
    Brush: restored Mohawk
    Razor: Rockwell 6C with R2 plate
    Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium
    After: witch hazel and aloe
    Cold water shave
    :Animatedfrozensmily:

Very smooth and comfortable.

20220525_093213~2_copy_1200x1201.jpg

7. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

I get along with most subcontinent made blade's. They don't get the credit they deserve, probably through ignorance & fear.

Thorsten69 and MrDaniel's like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Aaaaand, it's time once again to list my Throwback Thursday shave plan. Here it is for tomorrow:

Prep- Nivea 4 Men Bodywash(Fresh Wave)-in shower
    Shave-Stoylin Sheep(Unscented Soap)*
    Bush-Stoylin 26" Pro-Handle
    Razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Osage Rub**

*-

9. Thorsten69

Thorsten69 Well-Known Member

Vintage SotD
    Vintage Rubberset 200-3 - Shaving Brush (1930)
    Vintage Yardley - Shaving Soap (1933-1940)
    Vintage Wilkinson Empire 7 Day - Razor (1930-1940)
    Vintage Elizabeth Arden "Arden For Men" - After Shave (1965)
    Vintage Elizabeth Arden "Arden For Men" - EdC (1965)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

SOTD Thursday May 26, 2022

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
    Pre: None
    Lather: TOBS Coconut
    Razor: Henson AL13 Medium
    Blade: RK Stainless
    Razor: Gillette Styler
    Have a great day!
    IMG_9733.jpg

11. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thursday SOTD
    [​IMG]

Razor: Hiram Commander
    Blade: Feather Pro (D4)
    Brush: Brad Sears w Envy White 26mm
    Bowl: ShaveWorks 4.25"
    Pre-Shave Scrub: SheaMoisture African black soap
    Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Unscented
    Shave Soap: WestMan Geres
    Balm: Moon Soaps Sorrento
    Aftershave: TSM Fougère

12. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Thursday’s Shave

[​IMG]

Blackland Blackbird / Personna
    Custom Beehive 24mm Tuxedo Synth
    Ethos Lavender Shave Soap & Aftershave

13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Razorock Hawk LE stainless DLC
    Brush: Razorock 400
    Suds: Australian Private Reserve Bombora
    3BC6EEEF-0571-4962-8CE6-77F84774FFF6.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

14. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

SOTD : 26th May 2022.

thurs.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Lynx Africa Body Wash.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Chantry Lavender Goat's Milk Bar Soap.
    Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Synthetic.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl : Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream.
    Blade: Schick Japanese Twin.(D4)
    Razor: Schick Injector I1. 1955-58

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Floid Mentolado Vigoroso ASL./Nivea Men Fresh Kick ASB.

Greetings,

Early Morning Shave,

Final outing of the Schick I1 injector razor to finish my shaving week off on a high.

Both the Schick I1 & Japanese twin blade has provided me with consistently smooth acceptable close shaves with each shave ..The star of my shaving week has been the Schick Japanese Twin blades, they are amazingly good. In the future when i need more injector blades i'll be placing an order for both the Personna PTFE SS and Schick Japanese Twin blades too.. Very impressive blades the best Injector blades i've tried to date.

A comfortable enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report.

Finishing to the shave off with a few small dollops of Nivea Men Fresh Kick ASB....The Floid Mentally Vigorous & Nivea Men Fresh Kick ASB was a superb fresh cooling duo...I have a 400ml unopened bottle of Floid Mentolado Vigoroso ASL to keep me going for a good while yet.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  15. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Green Cult
    Astra SP
    Chiseled Face Bay Rum Soap
    Yaqi Boar
    Aloe Vera
    Stirling Soap Duke Aftershave
    Green Cult Flatboy handle.JPG

16. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thursday morning - my birthday shave:

L’Oréal Men Expert Facial Wash
    Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Wilkinson Sword/Shark day 2
    Bundubeard Sandalwood SS
    CutiBase Moisturizer
    Proraso Red AS Splash

Wow, this Wilkinson Sword razor really treated me nicely this morning - it’s not going to replace my cherished 1950s Super Speed but I must say that I’m starting to enjoy it. Jaco’s Sandalwood soap has such a gorgeous scent - in fact I think it has the nicest sandalwood scent I’ve ever experienced. This soap is glycerine based, the lather is so easy to whip up - it gets so thick, rich and super slick, as well as protective, and it leaves a very comfortable postshave feeling. The CutiBase moisturizer is so soothing, and the Proraso Red aftershave is also gorgeously scented. What a delightful BBS shave this was!

Have a great day - love you all!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sos220526.JPG
    Thursday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #1
    Eversharp H “Hussy”
    Personna Injector
    CWR
    Aqua Velva 5 in 1 ASB

The Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap lathered well with the Jayaruh #1 Badger Brush. Two passes and touch ups with the Eversharp H “Hussy” Razor with a Personna Injector Blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Aqua Velva 5 in 1 ASB. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

18. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

648EDAF1-2136-4137-AAB1-C71A4EC2776A.jpeg
    SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, MAY 26, 2022

Sharp is sharp! There is a myth out there that may be partly responsible for the trend towards wider and wider blades being turned out by a number of contemporary razorsmiths. Honestly, the attraction of wielding straight razors - which look like meat cleavers to me - with widths up to 12/8, eludes me. The myth I’m referring to is that heavy, dense whiskers require a heavier wider blade. I may be a contrarian, but there’s nothing like a shave with great, hard, Swedish steel. For whatever reason, a preponderance of Swedish razors were made in the 4/8 width. I own several, and all can be counted on to deliver a great shave. I also have a healthy collection of Japanese razors, and recently acquired my first 3/8 sized blade, a Japanese Pechika 55 made of Yasuki steel.

Yasuki steel is the industrialized version of the famous hand forged tamahagane iron sand steel that Japanese samurai swords were crafted from. Before the ready availability of Yasuki steel, many Japanese razors were made and still are made from imported Swedish silver steel which rivaled tamahagane in hardness, but was more readily available. Honing this little Pechika Yasuki blade felt similar to honing my Klas Tornblom. Because of the very narrow width, I used Kapton instead of my usual 3M 88 vinyl tape on the spine. Yasuki steel is hard requiring almost 40 minutes on the Chosera 1k before I was satisfied with the bevel. From there I went to my Shapton Kuromaku 1.5k, 5k, and 8k. My finishers were my Chosera 12k with a final polish on the Gokumyo 20k.

I’m of Austria-Hungarian/Italian ancestry, and suffer from the notorious 4 o’clock shadow which during my working life sometimes required a mid afternoon shave to prepare for a late afternoon or evening meeting. So yes, I have a heavy, dense beard, although at my age it’s white and not as visible as it used to be. This little Japanese straight razor’s edge was “stupid sharp” as a honemeister friend (@gssixgun) has been known to say. The three pass mug shave was every bit as good as any of my wider razors and left me beautifully smooth. The two pass dome shave featured my first generation, DLC coated SS Lupo from Italian Barber. Modeled after the original Wolfman, it delivered a very close dome shave leaving me velveteen smooth from neck to noggin.

RAZOR: Pechika 55 3/8 (Mug), DLC Coated SS V1 Lupo (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: BG LE #1 Two Band Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

19. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday!! Have a great day!!

Paul

20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette Fatboy (G3) Razor
    Gillette Nacet Stainless Blade
    Rubberset #3 Boar (restored) Brush
    Bravura Regiment Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Old Spice Shulton After Shave