Anybody shave with only water?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by MR41, May 29, 2022.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Over the years I’ve heard a story every so often of someone that only shaves with water as a regular practice. Does anyone here shave with only water regularly? If so, what is your process-in the shower, re-wet often etc.?

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've done it before, to prove a point. The 'wet' in 'wet shave' is what gives the razor cushion and lubrication. The lather is just there to hold the water on the face.

I used the shower, and shaved in the spray. It's one of those, "oh yeah, I can do that too, you're not special," moments. There's no special tricks. Just a constantly wet face and wet razor.

Edit: It's not a regular habit. I've done it twice, I think. I would have no qualms about doing it again, but it's a boring way to shave.

brit and MR41 like this.
  3. VerbaVolant

VerbaVolant Active Member

DaltonGang and stuartganis like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Not regularly but on occasion when I’ve been in a rush.
    Always with an injector and in the shower close to or under the spray.
    Occasionally lubing up with pre-shave oil prior.
    Lots of rinsing and feeling by hand (no mirror in my shower).
    It’s adequate when necessary but I wouldn’t make it a habit.

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Boring.:)
    I’ve done it once the same way to see if I could(and I could). I’ve heard at least a couple of stories of someone shaving with their r41 and hot water everyday; and I thought I bet that gets rough by day 4.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You do realize that nothing in that paper you linked to proves water cannot be used as a lubricant. The article goes on to say that too much lubricant can be detrimental to the shave experience, due to lack of razor control.

A proctor and gamble study, carried out by proctor and gamble employees, isn't high on my list of 'authoritative documents' either. They have their own agenda.

Sufficient water acts as a good enough lubricant for shaving purposes. That has been demonstrated by myself and others. Is it ideal? No. But that wasn't the question.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    brit and MR41 like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

it was cart razors overall that gave me irritation and ingrown hairs,not lack of lubricant.i have used water only ,but only with a de or injector,usually a quick touch up pass late in the day after a full shave in the morning.worked fine with no issues.a bit of any soap makes it easier..

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    MR41 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

So, at risk of getting the ban hammer here, I will just say that water itself is a horrible lubricant.

Try mating with your significant other in the bath/shower/hot tub, and you should find that water itself is going to have a rather drying effect.

Now, take that same experiment into the ocean, and you will probably experience a more wetter experience, definitely less drying anyway.

From what I understand, soap merely makes water, wetter. I also think that soap has salt in it, in some form or another, ergo, soap is more slippery than plain water, when wet shaving.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've dry shaved multiple times. Not a drop of water anywhere near my face. As long as the blade is sharp, the razor is kept from clogging, and a very light WTG touch is maintained, there's no problem. The result was fine.

Plain water, therefore, should also be fine, probably easier.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Ijustmissedthe50s, Enrico and brit like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And yet...

Oh.

So, you can't actually say with any experiential authority that it doesn't work. You just came here to say that you don't like the idea.

Opinions are nice things to have, aren't they?

11. VerbaVolant

Well, there are things in life that we don't have to try or "experiment" before we find out that they are (let's not use the "S" word so we don't traumatize the younger generation) not wise. Like smoking, for instance. Vaping? Consuming drugs? Abusing alcohol? and the list goes on.
    The invitation to self-study (before someone else tells you as gospel) is with good intentions. At least as an attempt to stop spreading ignorance.
    No, the study conducted by Dr. Kevin Cowley will not tell you that water cannot be used as a lubricant during shaving. Instead, it shows you why you need a good lubricant and explains the value of the elastohydrodynamic film (so called cushioning, that so many ignore). Water can be used as lubricant in certain circumstances, less when the sharp edge of the blade is involved. Generally speaking, water is a poor lubricant due to its low viscosity.
    Can you shave with only water? Sure you can. Can you shave your dry skin? Sure you can. Does it work? No, it doesn't.
    That is my opinion, indeed.
    Now you know.

brit and Ron R like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I only use just water when I notice long after my shave that I need to kill off what I missed. Just hot water and the razor will do for that.

gorgo2, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've watched my cousin dry shave. It works. Not for me, but it works.

Just because it doesn't work for you, that doesn't mean it automatically doesn't work for anyone else. Your skin type and hair type isn't the same as mine.

I know we gloss over the race thing nowadays (everyone is equal), but my recommendations for shaving routine will be different for a person of color than for someone who is on the lighter spectrum of the Crayola box, due to the extreme difference in hair type and growth characteristics.

Shaving is not a one size fits all hobby.

gorgo2, brit and MR41 like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Before wetshaving, I was a shower shaver with a Mach 3. it worked well enough.

15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

[​IMG]

brit and MR41 like this.
  16. VerbaVolant

Got the message. ha

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  17. VerbaVolant

Better yet

[​IMG]

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I might use only water, to touch up a small spot that I missed. But for a full shave, never.

MR41 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Is he smoking an invisible cigarette?

MR41, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Invisible cigs cause invisible cancer.

MR41, brit and Paul Turner like this.