Yaqi The Final Cut All Brass Razor. Impressive...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

First shave with the TFC All Brass and a real good one. Good weight and feel with a premium edge to it. The adjustment dial was pretty much precise with a starting position just left to the 1. Once the blade was installed a Gillette 7 O’Clock SP (Black Ninja) it was dead on it. Equal blade exposure on each side with a rigid/secure lockdown of the blade all the way around. Full turn all the way around back to one so it doesn’t get as wild as the Zamac version but, there is still plenty of adjustment for nearly everyone’s tastes. 2 good and efficient feeling passes set at 4 & 3 respectively with a buff around Sir Adam and the chin to get me to a real nice BBS finish. I agree with another shave member here @Clouds with his observation on the semi drag like type feel of the razor on skin. Not much but, it has that type of feel to it. I had the same thing with my Rex Ambassador at the start and with a subtle change in technique and use, it’s practically nonexistent. See the same here with the TFC Brass.

Good first shave. I’ll get a few more in to get a real sense of what it can do and see how it stacks up with the class leaders in the adjustable realm. Early 1st take assessment? Looks promising. Oh yes, about being tempted, I failed miserably. C’est la vie dans le monde de loisir raser le rasoir.

Great shaves to all….

B3D09D9D-B4C1-46A1-A8F0-265DB495195A~2.jpeg

tibolaso, jtspartan, gorgo2 and 10 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great review and a good looking razor

Ron R and Str8on2 like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Great looking razor Gus, Yaqi line has been changing things up with razors and Brushes lately. I wonder why they left out the lather channels on the safety bar because other Yaqi TFC adjustable razors had those incorporated in previous Safety bars (which I like). Looks like a great razor regardless and its amazing how these different brands come up with the good Gibbs design of a adjustable and are making them better with better stainless steel and brass + chrome coatings & they take a standard Gillette blade.
    Thanks for sharing!

Str8on2 likes this.
  4. Str8on2

+1 Agreed. As a wet shaver, we're living in good times. And your observation on the serrations on the safety bar or lack thereof on this Brass version is spot on. I think that would have alleviated the semi drag type feeling on this razor. Hopefully they address that in future runs. As is though, it's still a pretty darn good shaver.

Happy shaves amigo....

Ron R likes this.
  5. Str8on2

Got on with shave #2 this morning with the TFC Brass. Same Gillette SP blade and geared up with the Ethos Blood Orange soap. Good Lord this soap is so authentic smelling. It literally bursts out of the jar with a natural Blood Orange scent and nothing more. Absolutely fantastic and the suds well, simply fantastic that leaves a face feel that is second to none. Anyways, how did the TFC do? Very, very well indeed. Just a slight adjustment on angle, just barely touching the safety bar and a light touch. As has been said in the razor universe, “let the weight of the razor and the natural laws of physics, (all gravity here) do the work.” It’s a heavy razor that is actually balanced quite well almost neutral like but, it is geared in weight towards the business end of the razor. And that’s how it should be. Smooth and easy passes (2) WTG & ATG with a buff around the Adam’s Apple. A member here @Ron R stated two posts above this that if Yaqi had left the serrations (lather cut outs as in the chrome version) on the safety bar it could have helped in allowing a bit of flow through of lather and reducing that bit of drag if not outright eliminating it. I agree. Still, the shave was excellent and the drag less noticeable from that of shave #1. The result was as good a shave as from its older sibling, TFC Chrome and rivaled equally results from my Rex Ambasador. Very impressed with this razor and its first two shaves.

Great shaves to all…

DCE778EE-3ED7-4319-A0B0-7E00384EE2D4.jpeg

6. Str8on2

My third shave with the Brass TFC and nothing different to report other than an excellent shave again. 3rd use of the Gillette 7 O’clock SP and this razor/blade combo hit its stride. Two great passes and a final touch up on the chin and the Pampers baby buttocks couldn’t be smoother than my middle aged mug. One tiny weeper on the corner of the stache and that was it. I have to admit that the protection & slickness from Declaration Grooming soap Sellout was top tier in performance and aided in giving the TFC an easy foundation to glide on. Spectacular stuff really. Anyhow, started on 4 and left it there for the duration of the shave. Irritation free & incident free minus that tiny weeper. Not much to complain about so far. Ride out the rest of the week with it and give a light summation by the weekend. Looks like a great week of shaves ahead.

Great shaves to all….

8DCB4553-C038-49A9-8700-3CF84F5533E5.jpeg.jpg

7. Blairaudio

Blairaudio New Member

I just received mine 5 days ago and enjoyed
    20220726_184055.jpg 20220726_184055.jpg 20220726_184055.jpg 20220726_184224.jpg

gorgo2, brit, Str8on2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Str8on2

Opened it up to 6 this evening on 2 days growth. Not that it was needed but, more to see how it would feel opened up near its max setting. Still had the Gillette 7 O’Clock SP installed as it still felt great from the last shave. Pulled out the XXX Fresco set up from Razorock and it was a heck of a shave. 2 passes, a brief touch up on the chin and it was over. Astoundingly I found that the TFC felt smoother at the 6 setting. Of course there was noticeably more blade feel but, I felt no drag of any kind nor the feel that it would bite as long as I maintained some focus. No irritation, nics, cuts nor a single weeper. BBS finish from face to neck with that smooth almost rubbery face feel. Best shave by far of the 4 to date. This razor brings it gents and I haven’t much to complain about yet.

Great shaves to all….

03E11290-50F4-4F41-928A-2A9C6844FC7F.jpeg

tibolaso, Blairaudio and brit like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Are there any vendors that sell this or the cheaper chrome version besides at the yaqi store on aliexpress?

10. Str8on2

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

12. Str8on2

Agreed. Good luck wading through that website marshland. It’s a doozy…. :eatdrink047:

13. Str8on2

First shave this year with the Yaqi Brass TFC. Installed a fresh Bic Chrome Platinum and just a smooth yet efficient shave in 2.5 passes (WTG, ATG passes & buff work on the chin and Sir Adam area). Very good weight and feel though not as balanced as I would like it to be but, it gets it done. I haven’t checked recently on what these razors are going for nowadays (if available which they were not too far back) but, when I purchased this one for $120 US it was and is completely worth it. I know, there are many who complain that it’s a Chinese made razor and the detractors will find anything negative to say and spew rhetoric over it. It’s just an opinion (though quite a few that complain over the Yaqi Brass have never had or shaved with one) and all are entitled to an extent.

Personally, it’s a good razor that has for me, exceeded the quality and performance expectations of most razor products that come from China. I give credit where credit is due, they did their homework on this one.

Great day and shaves to all….

783D31D8-8FB3-4372-A79A-DA0D5959382D.jpeg.jpg

ChrisB likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They should have named this one Nomad.

Screenshot_20230108-123444-728.png

Herm2502 likes this.
  15. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

@Str8on2
    Great write up. Lovely pictures. Lovely looking razor. I'm almost tempted!

I do want another adjustable to keep my Progress company.

The Yaqis seem to be at a better price point than others I am looking at. What would you say their build quality is like compared to say the Rex?

Brass build, what is the coating to stop it tarnishing?

16. Str8on2

My apologies for the delay in replying to your inquiry.

To date, I could arguably state that as a Chinese/Asian made product, it is the first razor product I've experienced that has quality on par with US & European made razor products. Very tight tolerances with precise dial adjustment intervals on par with a Rex Ambassador, Homelikeshaving Taiga and the like. The Brass is not coated so it will patina over time. Overall it's a quality product that performs equally as good.

-Gus

17. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

@Str8on2 thanks Gus, that's reassuring, and a bit cheaper than the Rex by the looks of it.