Brut Lineage

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jay_gatz, Aug 2, 2022.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So Brut was originally by Faberge. There was a Helen of Troy version. Helen of Troy then sold it to HRB Brands. Then there is Unilever in Europe. I feel like the glass bottle Unilever version A/S does not last as long as the US version. Does anyone have a clear view on what is what in the world of Brut? Seems like it is currently owned by both Unilever, as well as HRB?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah. If you want the original formula Brut aftershave, order the Brut Classic EdT (with the silver chain and medallion) by Faberge. It's the same formula/strength as the original Brut 33 splash.

The current Brut aftershave by Faberge is a very watered down version of the original aftershave.

Edit: I've seen reports that they may have removed oakmoss from the formula, but I think that's only for the European market. As far as I know, the Brut for sale in the U.S. still has oakmoss in it.

3. jay_gatz

Are you referring to this one:

[​IMG]

4. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Following.

5. jay_gatz

Ok, so I found out a bit more. Developed in the 60's, by Faberge.

Unilever acquires the brand in 1989. (entire Faberge line)

Helen of Troy Acquires the Brut business for the US, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico from Unilever in 2003

Helen of Troy sells Brut to HRB Brands in 2021

There is also a company called SDL Group that has some distribution rights in Asia I believe.

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Nope.
    Screenshot_20220804-185746_eBay.jpg

7. jay_gatz

No, I meant are referring to the one I referenced as the watered down version. Sorry.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    In that case, yes. The aftershave is the watered-down version. The Brut EdT is quite strong, so consider the aftershave to be more friendly to modern noses, and the strength of scent is comparable to other aftershaves.

Brut, like most aromatic spicy/chypres, is not one of my preferred scent profiles. It's been years since I smelled either the aftershave or EdT.

9. jay_gatz

So oddly enough, the glass bottle I linked is the unilever version of aftershave in a fancy glass bottle. I also have the current plastic version US made version. The US version A/S is stronger than the Euro Unilever version A/S. At least to my nose. I have eclectic tastes though. I can go from liking Jaipur by Boucheron to Tom Ford and then have a big hankering for A/V Musk, Lime Sec, or the ever classic Clubman. I think one brand that produces some really overrated stuff is L’occitane. Expensive and wears off in no time.

Ijustmissedthe50s and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The reason oakmoss is used in perfumery is because it's less a scent of it's own, and more of a scent projector. It's what gives most vintage scents awesome silliage (scent projection).

That may be the difference you are noticing.

Edit: decanting the fragrance out of plastic and into glass will also make the scent smell better. That's a general rule of thumb with any fragrance, so that advice is not brut specific.

11. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I do silly stuff all the time.
    Silliage is a way of life!
    :)
    - Bax

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.