30 Day Rule/Focus; August 2022

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Aug 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Awesome Aust shave Ken! I own 2Austs and they give great shaves. However, they have the plain scales.

JACarbone and brit like this.
  2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I normally stop riding in October. Bike is coming up on 21,000 miles so, I have already put 3000 miles on it this year

brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  3. Trigger

Aug 4 SOTA

1968 Gillette Slim Adjustable (setting 7)
    Rockwell DE Blade (?)
    JR # 386 Silvertip Brush
    Chiseled Face Cryogen SS and AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Beard Growth: 31 hrs

20220804_160635.jpg

It's still hot on Long Island so I am still using Cryogen SS and AS. I never bloom this soap because I have learned that the puck doesn't last as it normally would. Again, I dry load the brush by dotting it 8 to 10 times and face lather on a manually wetted face. I just needed 2.5 passes to get a BBS without errors.

Did get some alum feedback on the neck. I decided to rinse my brush and rewet my face with it to get that menthol kick from the soap remnants. Wow, it was so cool. Witch hazel and the matching aftershave was splashed on my face and neck to get that last menthol wave. I am still feeling the effects of it. Lol! Take care.

kjbarth, brit, palmolive fox and 2 others like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe

brit and Trigger like this.
  5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Refreshing shave Gary.

brit likes this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice looking blade Ken.

kjbarth, brit and Trigger like this.
  7. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

:Animatedfrozensmily:

brit and Trigger like this.
  8. Trigger

Yes, it is an über freezing soap, but the performance is awesome. I have never had a subpar shave with this soap.

JACarbone likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1659665086033.JPEG
    Same shave as yesterday. Pretty good. This is the third outing for this blade since it was honed last.

Something I never see mentioned. The wee little lip on one end of the case, that the tabs on the lid slip into... also does double duty as a stropping handle rest. In fact, when the stropping handle is placed there, it points the blade heavenwards, making it super easy to remove and replace. This works on both the hone side and the strop side. I also absent mindedly unscrewed the bottom off the razor. That piece is usually seized up with rust and is definitely not normally just finger tight. I took the opportunity to coat everything in petroleum jelly for future disassembly ease, and reassembled it. Edit: all four handle types that are found with Rolls Razors are spring loaded, even if you didn't know that. :)
    IMG_1659659451950.JPEG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  10. Trigger

Very nice shave, pic and post Ryan. I want to welcome you to the 30 DC thread. I know you are a well respected member of The Shave Den and having someone like you with years of wetshaving experience on this thread is greatly appreciated and a great asset to this thread.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Thank you, Joe. I'm just grateful I never figured out my grandfather's Rolls. If I had, I might never have become a razor collector. It's ironic that the very first vintage razor design I ever handled would end up being one of my favorite razors some 25 years later.

Then again, I'm drawn to unusual razors, so perhaps it was fated to be anyways.

Edit: Call it my penance for throwing my grandfather's razor away.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Foreshadowing:

Tomorrow's shave is going to suck. I already know why, and no, it can't be fixed.

...and no, it has nothing to do with the razor.

13. Trigger

It usually is the way that a first razor of any kind tends to be one's favorite. It may be for sentimental reasons or it may be the familiarity due to constant use while learning to shave with that first razor. My very first open blade razor is my Dovo Shavette and from day one I enjoyed shaving with it. It taught me how to shave with an open blade so that I had an easy transition to straights. Shaving with my Divo Shavette is just a magical experience for me.

brit and JACarbone like this.
  14. Trigger

I just hope that you won't need a styptic pen.

brit and JACarbone like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    :happy102:
    I haven't needed one of those in decades.

Those solid crystal deodorants work just as well and are cheaper. My wife whimpers and says "it burns" whenever she uses it to close up a weeper on her legs. It doesn't leave as much of a white residue as a styptic pencil, and it burns like hellfire stings a bit, so it's a good teaching aid, too.

Edit: Yes, she knows about stypic pencils. She prefers to deal with the pain over having white residue on her legs. We have stypic powder for our dog's nails. I'm not a monster.
    I belive the stick is made from potassium alum, which a bunch of people already rub on their faces post shave. Theirs tends to be square.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Your wife is going to shave you. :happy097:

brit, Trigger and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hello all.
    If you don't know my shaving habits...
    I use the most aggressive (efficient) razors avaliable.
    I also use Feather blades in everything I can.
    I'm a one and done blade user.
    I'm also a head shaver and shave every day including weekends.

Now that is all done with I want to explain just how I weild one of the hundred plus razors I've accumulated over the years.

I ride the cap, if you're not familiar with this kind of technique Google it.
    I ride the cap so intensity that I have found pressure isn't a real issue anymore.
    Yes really!
    I ride the cap to when the skin curves, like where the cheek is near the jaw line, the razor just stops cutting unless I angle down the razor.
    I know you're thinking so do I.
    But I never let the safety bar touch the skin.
    To me, the safety bar, open or closed, is useless.
    Using heavy cap gives me the most comfortable and close shave imaginable.
    Now it's taken a while to perfect this technique of shaving but it's turning out to be beneficial to me.
    I can load a blade in any razor weather it be a well used one or a fresh brand new one just out of the box and get a wonderful shave.

I just wanted to share my experiences in this forum to maybe help others on their quest for shave nirvana.

Hope this helps.

Sorry no pictures.

Enjoy

tp

kjbarth, JACarbone, brit and 2 others like this.
  18. Trigger

Hey Terry! Great to hear from you and hope you are well. Thank you for giving an informative post on riding the cap. Have a super day.

JACarbone, brit and Terry like this.
  19. Trigger

Today is a no shave day for me. Tomorrow, I will be using my Gillette Fatboy. It will be my last adjustable shave for the week. As I mentioned earlier, I will be alternating weeks of adjustable and open blade razors.

kjbarth, JACarbone and brit like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Joe.

Riding the cap seems so technically correct. But of course it also doesn't come naturally.

A no shave day??
    I think I remember having one of those a few months back.
    :signs002:

Have a great day.

tp

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.