Adding Glycerin to Aftershaves

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaltonGang, Jul 11, 2022.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For about 8 yrs now, I've been adding glycerin to aftershaves that do not contain a moisturizing agent. I don't know why some contain only alcohol and fragrances. Without moisturizer, my face feels dried out.
    I use food grade glycerin, and only add a small amount, per bottle. I add 4-8 drops per bottle, depending on the size of the bottle.
    Lately I added some to Florida Water.

Frijolero, jtspartan, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Im sure I've probably used aftershave with glycerin in them, though I don't remember which ones lol. Does it make for a greasy feel? Esp in warm weather? I'm thinking I'd like to try adding some to some of mine. Seems like a great idea.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I haven't added glycerin to aftershaves, but I've been putting a few drops into my shave bowl for quite a long time as a little additive.

I will often follow an aftershave that is drying with a bit of unscented lotion.

4. DaltonGang

Don't add too much. A little goes a long way.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  5. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

I put the smallest dab of 444 in the palm of my hand, add the a/s splash, and apply in that manner. Adds just enough moisture to an alcohol only splash.

6. brit

brit in a box

my latest aftershave for work days is a drop of good balm with a splash of Fine italian citrus in the hand then apply.i add glyceryn and menthol crystals to my thayer's astringent.lovely stuff.

7. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Never tried Glycerine in Aftershaves, but heared good things adding it to the builded lather.

Will this help keep the lather more stable or what´s that good for?

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have done this to several splashes, including Florida Water, as well. Also the SV 'thick' splashes. Funnily enough, I haven't seen the need to do it to Fine splashes, even though they are just alcohol, water and fragrance.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Florida Water can definitely be improved with glycerin, now that you mention it. I will do it now. Thank You!

10. DaltonGang

I tried it with soaps, and it wasn't worth the added effort. Adding it to some after shaves adds a moisturizer to the skin. Very good results. A little goes a long way.

11. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

I can't say I don't like glycerin in my aftershaves, but I have noticed that my five favorite aftershaves (Speick, La Toja, Pinaud, HetV and CFG) are all without glycerin entirely.

This makes me curious and want to try adding some to see if I notice a difference and whether or not I'd prefer said difference.

I have oily skin

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

I have very sensitive skin, and just a little moisturiser stops all irritation.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.