A question about a couple of cut throats

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Infotech, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I was at an antique store yesterday and came the closest to buying a straight edge I've ever been. There were two nice razors.

The first one had white/cream scales. It was stamped with Edgemark - Pakistan. It was a beautiful razor with a design on the blade. I'm kicking myself for not buying it at $30, but I just don't know anything about straight razors. Does anyone have any information about this one?

The second one had dark scales that looked like some kind of wood, but it was enamel or plastic. It was labeled RD Spencer Bartlet - Germany. Out of the two this one looked like it could have some history to it. It was also marked at $30. Can someone tell me anything about this one?

My wife would've flipped out if I'd come home with a straight razor... I could see the look on her face :rofl
    Thanks!

2. Blade

Blade Member

Personally I wouldn't touch the first one with a bargepole and I don't care how it looks! The Spencer Bartlett I'm sure I have seen before and I think that may well be OK.

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Maybe a Double Arrow would fit the bill? $13.50 shipped is a bargain. I have not tried one yet, but have heard and read some good things....I believe the seller will also provide them shave ready if needed.

4. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Stop kicking yourself and start kissing yourself. That is the best straight razor antipurchase you ever made.

Never heard of the other one.

If you want three names that are easy to remember and comprise a giant proportion of the quality antique straight razor market, look for Solingen, Sheffield, or Eskilstuna

5. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I feel better now.

If I ever think about getting one again I'll check out that Double Arrow.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

James,

read the sellers feedback on e-bay too......sounds like everyone that buys is happy and the blades sound like they may be close to shave ready as well.

I know Isaac bought some of these Double Arrows, not sure if he got around to honing them up and trying them.....

A pretty cheap price to try out a straight razor though.

7. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I have previously bought two double arrow razors to try out and test my honing skill.

the one I sharpened was very easy to sharpen. The blade is really nice and thick compared to most hollow straights of this size, which seems unusual to me for the price. One razor had a bulgy smiling edge, and the other was fairly straight. blade width is ~6/8+, scales are as cheap as they come. Don't expect the scales to be aligned properly or even touching each other at all points.

I sold both razors, the owners reported back that they were pleased - the owner who honed his blade shared my experience that they are very easy to sharpen.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Lee,

Great to know.....I may have to pickup a couple to mess around and experiment with :cool:

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Well I'm off to see a man about a horse.

10. bg42

bg42 New Member

the first one ,don`t touch ,the second are very good razors,however not having set eyes on that particular one I can`t recommend you buy it
    Kind regards Peter

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

When shopping the local antiques places, look for US, Swedish, German or English made blades, and avoid Chinese or Pakistani ones. If you don't see a recognizable maker or country of origin stamp in the tang or on the blade, DON'T GET IT.

For what it's worth, the second was probably HIBBArd, Spencer and Bartlett, with the first few letters worn off. If so, and it was in decent shape, that's a good buy, since it is a good old US branded blade, made in Germany.