Wallet suggestions

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Sep 19, 2022.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Went to see my chiropractor today.
    Told me what my last chiropractor said, "Get a thinner wallet on keep it in your front pocket."

Sooooo, any suggestions?
    I have the standard bifold now.
    And, no, not going to use a man-bag, murse, fanny pack, back pack, clutch, or briefcase.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @Darkbulb was a huge fan of Popov wallets, which are a slim design, if I recall correctly. Spendy, but hand-made and hand-stitched stuff generally is.

brit likes this.
  3. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I went through a process of wallet slimming a few years ago. I currently have a nylon wallet from the "Big Skinny" brand from Amazon. There are many variations available. The biggest step in slimming down, naturally, was to stop carrying so many things around with me.
    I did remove the silly "Big Skinny" logo from the front after a while.

91nxlYPng7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Have you also ruled out a pouch tied around your neck? :D

Most of the time I just end up carrying around my normal thick wallet in my front pocket. However, you cannot beat suit wallets/moneyclips if you only need to take a few little things with you. Mine is a suit wallet which is leather and a little bit bigger than a credit card. It has slots for two cards and a driver's license and then a magnetic money clip to hold a few bills.

5. swarden43

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to the switch from back left pocket to front right pocket.
    The biggest hurdle is going to convince myself I don't need to carry all the stuff I'm currently hauling around.

@richgem To your question - Yup. Lots of folks here at work wear their ID badge on a lanyard around their neck. I don't/won't.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and richgem like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm not a big fan on using wallets as I like to travel light. I use a thin card holder to keep a few cards as I usually don't carry cash. If I do have cash and not to make the card holder too bulky for my shirt pocket, I'll keep cash in my pants pocket, sometime with a money clip.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Enrico, PLANofMAN, GoodShave and 2 others like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I carry a small amount of cash with a money clip in my front pocket.
    Loose change gets dumped every night into the shave stuff savings jar.
    Wallet is a small bifold card wallet with essentials. Credit card, bank card, driver’s license, insurance cards.
    Lots of my casual pants are cargo style so I’ve got extra pockets.
    And I’ve got a couple of small bags just because they’re handy when you have need to tote a lot of stuff. I throw it in the car and sometimes I’ll carry it.
    Eyeglasses, hearing aids, two phones, tape measure, multi-tool, medications, breath mints, books, ear plugs, tablet computer, etc. Not everything every day but it’s handy to grab whatever you might need for the day, chuck it in a bag, and put it in the car.
    Also, for those who conceal carry, a small bag can be a good option.

9. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

I stopped keeping a wallet in my back pocket as soon as I made the connection between sitting on a wallet and having back issues.
    I then went for slim wallets that I could carry in a front pocket. I moved all the extra cards to other backup wallets that I already had and when ever I need any of those cards, I pull it out of my backup wallet and put in my slim wallet.

I used a card wallet of sorts from Duluth Trading Company but I don't see anything like it on their website right now. Mine was leather and had two card pockets on one side, one mesh ID pocket on the other and had a slot in the middle where I could carry cash. I found the leather one was difficult to quickly pull out a card if you had several in each pocket. Also the leather one I have would discolor my cards. This is the closest model to mine from their site and it is made of a different material and design, so maybe it is better than mine. If you have one of their stores near you, you could see if they have more options than what is on their website.

I was given a gift card and bought one of the Ridge wallets that holds a few cards and has a strap to hold some cash. This is the model that I am currently using. You can replace the strap if it wears out or swap to a money clip if you like. I am still trying to decide if I like it better than the leather one I have.

I hope that helps.

PLANofMAN, Enrico, brit and 1 other person like this.
  10. richgem

Enrico, PanChango and brit like this.
  11. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    brit and PanChango like this.
  12. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I made the change to a front pocket wallet this summer. Ezra Arthur No. 2 wallet which I like very much. Cards in the pocket and bills in the wrap in front. Seller pic below.

Attached Files:

Enrico, brit and GoodShave like this.
  13. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I carry two wallets that are about the same size. One in each back pocket, to keep my spine aligned. One has gas cards and various store cards for discounts and whatnot. The other one has all of my professional credentials, credit cards, and such things. I keep a little bit of cash in each of them. No back problems!
    :)
    - Bax

DrStrange, Jayaruh, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I've recently scored a leather pouch that slings on to the belt and am running it as a wallet. The thing's been really good so far. It has two separate zippered sections one for the paper money and cards and one for the loonies and such. The pouch seems to take the load off the pockets. There are also nifty tactical pouches that sling on to a belt..unless you have spendies then I don't know..:D

brit likes this.
  15. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I know you've already ruled out fanny packs as an option, but if I couldn't carry a wallet, a fanny pack would be my choice. Besides, with a fanny pack you could easily conceal a full-size 1911, and STILL Have room for your wallet! Old guys can pull off a fanny pack, but young guys probably can't.
    :)
    - Bax

brit and GoodShave like this.
  16. richgem

No one can pull off a fanny pack.

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Call it what you want, but it can be a handy bag.

I have this one for cycling over night trips so I can keep glasses, wallet, tools, and incidentals all in one place not on the bike.

I wouldn't rock one to work, but they do not deserve the stigma they have received.

18. swarden43

Au contraire, mon ami.
    If. If, if someone was ever able to get one on me, you can be dang sure I'd pull it off reeeaaal quick!

Lancre, PLANofMAN, brit and 2 others like this.
  19. richgem

Pull it off, cut it off, whatever floats your boat. LOL

Slipperyjoe and brit like this.
  20. richgem

Okay, I will concede an exception for bicyclists.