SoS: September 2022

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by James Kleinkauf, Aug 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sos220929.JPG
    Thursday's Cold Water Shave

Cold Water Rinse
    Vintage Life Morning TOST
    Jayaruh #424
    Cobra Classic
    Feather Professional
    CWR
    Pinaud Clubman AS

I went to the dermatologist and now my face is partially covered with bandages, so for the next week or so I will be doing modified shaves. I'll be shaving my upper lip, cheeks, and neck.

The Vintage Life Morning TOST Shaving Soap lathered well with the Jayaruh #424 brush. Two passes and touch ups with the Cobra Classic Razor and the Feather Professional Blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Razor - 1907 Ever-Ready "Lather Catcher"
    Blade - GEM Personna SS (6)
    Pre-shave - Proraso White
    Soap - Sir Hare "Classic Barber"
    Brush - Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Post-shave - Thayers Toner "Lavender" & Proraso balm
    AS - Pinaud Clubman

I washed face while I pre-heated the bowl & brush. Filled the scupper with HOT water. SO nice to have warm lather on a cool morning. I did a 2-pass shave WTG & ATG with minor cleanup along jawline and neck. I chanced getting irritation but, was rewarded with zero feedback from the alum bar. No cuts, nicks, or weepers. Smelling nice and feeling clean!

One more single edge razor day....what to use? Maybe a MMOC to finish the blade and bin.

DSCN0274.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

NICE red-tip!

MoAllen and Ron R like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sir Hare.....good soap. I have the ALPHA.

Ron R and Hogie like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SLANTemper Version 5 SEptember 29th 2022

Razor : Razorock Wunderbar slant with a modified Gem Micromatic handle, excellent upper mid range, this razor likes a light touch with a Steep angle(riding the bar) with a short handle and I get stellar results. Well made of 316 stainless steel with very high QC machining, also a nice polish finish overall. Very happy with my shave this morning.
    Blade : Gillette Nacet (2) Sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. Good pairing with the Wunderbar with a light touch, whiskers did not stand a chance.
    Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier , nice unique scent(Aramis classic?) + excellent lather qualities, Yaqi commissioned Master Soap Creations S.A to make a line of soap and aftershaves. I enjoy using it, good protection and post feel.
    Brush : Yaqi Robin 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, excellent splay scrubber + great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Witch hazel soap residual cleanse + Yaqi Musketeer Rapier AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar with a Nacet blade.
    SOTD Septemper 29 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

6. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Razorock Game Changer / Personna Reds
    Yaqi Synthetic
    Fine Accoutrements / L'orange Noir [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

brit, Ron R, Primotenore and 14 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Sept 29th
    SS Supply (2 dot plate) with Proline
    APShave Silvertip Fan/ MrEE LE #007
    SV Cubebe Combo
    Thayers
    adirir.jpg
    I have neglected the Supply lately, for whatever reason...It really is a fantastic shaver. Buttery smooth with a sharp Proline.
    Have a great day all!

brit, Ron R, stuartganis and 14 others like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

>Gillette Super 84/Super 109 (both set on 5)
    >REX (Rexall) carbon blade, jeans stropped
    >Aramis bar soap, brush lathered

2 pass comfy BBS, no issues at all. Hadn't used either black beauty in years and forgot how much fun they are. Great razors.

a/s: Avon Oland. Complements the Aramis because it's supposed to be a clone.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you for sharing your blade test results. If you have the Astra blades that high on your list, I would humbly suggest that you check out some of the other Russian Gillettes as well. Nacets, PermaSharps, Gillette Silver Blues, some of the 7 O'clocks, amongst others, are all readily available, inexpensive and excellent. Some others that used to be made there are almost legendary now- Polsilvers, Wizamets, 7 O'clock Russian Blues. Available (ish) but very expensive due to not being in current production.

brit, jimjo1031, Tdmsu and 4 others like this.
  10. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind words! I have the Gillette Rubie on hand and in the queue, and plan to obtain some Nacets.

The BiC Chrome Platinum just edged out the Astra Super Stainless by being good for 1 or 2 more shaves.

brit, jtspartan, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  11. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Thanks!

Hogie likes this.
  12. MoAllen

I hope all is well.

Hogie, Ursa and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Thursday's shave: Menthol Thursday

Warm shower - face brush-washed with Yardley Shea Buttermilk soap
    Gillette Pre-War Tech razor with Dishi 3-Tier Stainless handle
    Derby Premium blade - 1st shave
    C. O. Bigelow (Proraso) cream
    RazoRock Snowman brush
    daylogic (Vi-Jon) Arctic Blue after shave lotion

Methodology: Face-lathered. Full-face WTG; neck/chin XTG; full-face ATG.
    Shave Quality: BBS!
    Nicks/cuts/weepers/irritation: None.
    Razor Burn: A few tingles here and there from the daylogic "Velva".
    Shave Comfort: A study in contrasts: Annoying dragging noted during my first few WTG swipes, but my ATG pass was uncommonly smooth. Go figure.

What's new: My new Tech handle arrived today, and I'm absolutely delighted with it! The Tech is now my heaviest DE with the longest, thickest handle and I was thrilled at the new precision and handling ease that the Dishi handle adds to an already-excellent razor.

Also new: This was my first-ever shave with a Derby Premium blade. As with the Derby Extra, the first few swipes were marred by significant dragging, but this smoothed right out and I got a superb shave. Will the second shave be smooth throughout? We'll find out tomrrow.

[​IMG]

brit, Ron R, stuartganis and 13 others like this.
  14. MoAllen

Thursday Shave

Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth soap
    Brush: PAA Green Ray
    Razor: Rockwell 6C
    Blade: RK

I haven't shaved with the Rockwell for a while and I thought I would try it with an RK blade. It was not a great combination. I haven't liked the RK blades in any razor I tried, including the Hanson AL13, for which the blades are supposedly designed. Today was not a bad shave, just not the smooth bliss I hoped for. I tried the alum block and had some stinging.

20220929_134652~2_copy_1024x685.jpg

15. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    RAZOR: Stirling Stainless DE Razor ST
    BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
    BRUSH: Ever-Ready 200 24mm Manchurian gel tip
    LATHER: ‌Ethos Greenfresh Premium Shave Soap

brit, Ron R, stuartganis and 13 others like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here it is for Friday(30th):

same as today, BUT

brush-Stoylin "no-name" synthetic

brit, Jayaruh, stuartganis and 8 others like this.
  17. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

IMG-PHOTO-ART--1955164254-01.jpeg
    ThursB³ay
    Excellent llent shave. The Ted Pella blades are much sharper than the others I've used, making this a very close and comfortable experience.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Supply SE Fin
    Blade: Ted Pella
    Brush: Lutin Chubby Lightning
    Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
    Lather: Declaration Grooming B³
    Aftershave: Declaration Grooming B³

brit, Ron R, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

That handle looks good with the tech head.

Ursa and ilts like this.
  19. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Hi Friends,

Here is my Wednesday Shave (28.09.2022)

AA9FF966-A07B-4774-B2B4-5999FB8C8A3D.jpeg
    Razor: Feather AS D2 // Blade: Gillette Wilkinson India // Soap: Tabac // Brush: Jannik W Synthetic // Aftershave: Jovan Musk

Great shave. Colder weather, warmer scents. The Tabac (old Formular) did a great job. Haven ´t tried the new one, but i have a little stock left, so i might not need to use the new formulation.

The Feather, gentle as ever. BBS in 3 passes with a few touch ups.

Jovan Musk…saw it in our Supermarket nearby and thought: Why not try it? It was the right decision. A warm, comfy scent with spices.The first which came to mind as i opened the bottle for the first time was „creamy“. After applying the Aftershave, i immediately thought the same. A really „creamy“, musky scent. Cannot describe it better but i think you know what i mean. Great scent that last´s quite a while. Very nice.

Have a good shave, take your time and stay safe and healthy.

Greetings
    Thorsten

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thursday, September 29
    [​IMG]
    LPL Oud-Santal~~TSN X LE~~Gillette NEW LC/Voskhod~~Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Have a great day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.