Dubl Duck Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by basil, May 21, 2010.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Very nice and I love it, but white clear was the one I saw.

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

That sounds like you should consider picking it up. Maybe making an offer....

Edison Carter likes this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Anyone in the US interested in the DD, please send a PM for seller contract information. I am in no way connected or have anything to gain.

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

74AE1917-069E-4FD3-84BB-5740C93ADCEA.jpeg How’s it look in comparison to to this one?

Frijolero, M14Shooter, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Yes, and has the original wrapper, non original case.

6. thesuperiorshave

thesuperiorshave Well-Known Member

yes, have visited six separate production facilities of Solingen razors in 2010/2011 and 2017 including Wacker, Revisor when I saw it was more of an electrical shop with small sideline business of grinding. The Schloss Burg was pretty cool, and that low ravine where the high train trestle was, and in the city center in the walking-only zone I'd some unpasteurized beer that was simply tremendous. And what passes for May weather in Solingen was for me unbearably cold!

7. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

I’m glad that someone could confirm this first hand. I personally noticed the similarities of the Fritz Brach era DOVOs and lot of US barber supply house razors. Up to and including the blank numbers.

I always shook my head when people would pay 4 times the price for DD and pass on a NOS Dovo of the same era for 1/3 of what they were paying. I always believed they made a lot of the post war Pumas and other famous Solingen brands too. Any chance you can confirm any info on that?

In the US straight production basically died in 41-42 and was pronounced dead in 46. I imagine the same thing occurred in Europe with just a handful of makers making all the famous brands some covet, with Dovo-Merkur being the largest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Chuck Naill

I suspect one reason for straight razors falling out of favor were the old men were dying and the new shavers born circa 1930 were beginning to shave.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The quick, on the go, industrial revolution, probably contributed a lot. Factory workers needed the quick to use safety razors.

10. Chuck Naill

Old Sheffield grinders were a part of the industrial revolution. Go to around 6-8 minutes.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Good stuff, thanks,

12. thesuperiorshave

thesuperiorshave Well-Known Member

yes, there were some Pumas in the Dovo historical showcase - so at least some were made by Dovo, though probably not all bearing the marque

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is My Gold Edge Solingen 6/8th D/D...Mint Condition & Kindly Sent Over to me from the USA to Scotland by My Good Friend @Karl G ....Its a Beautiful Razor & I Like it...Its a Very Thin Grind Mind..:)

But I Like Em Like Dat..:love055:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  14. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

My special No.1 is amazing it’s a 11/16 half hollow I believe and it hones so easy with an incredible face feel

Karl G likes this.