DR Harris Lavender soap review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by feeltheburn, Oct 10, 2022.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've been using DRH Lavender soap for almost a month (28 shaves) so thought that's enough time to make a pretty good review of it. I'll try to add in how long it lasts when I eventually finish it. So far it looks like this is going to be an exceptionally long-lasting soap.

Scent - It's faint but nice. It smells quite a bit like MWF but the scent is barely detectable to me after it's lathered. I don't necessarily mind that since I value performance more but if you want a nice strong scent, this isn't it.

Slickness - Pretty good, certainly acceptable to me but not the slickest soap I've tried.

Protection - Also pretty good, I haven't had any razor burn or even mild discomfort during the month I've been using this. I usually do a 3-pass shave every day so I like a close shave but I also aim for an absolute lack of irritation. I get a bit of alum tingle after the shave once in a while but with the right razor/blade combo I can get a perfectly comfortable shave with no alum feedback using this stuff. That makes it good enough in my book.

Latherability - I've been using a Plissoft synthetic brush for most of my shaves since it works well for me. This is a really easy to lather soap. About 10 seconds of swirling does it. The soap is pretty thirsty so it is possible to overload to the point where you can't get enough water into it. Now that I've got it dialed in pretty well, I get a nice creamy lather with a good wet sheen to it every time.

Value - Can't pass final judgement on this yet but so far it's promising. After almost a month of using it, I can tell the puck has shrunk a bit but just guessing, I'd say I've used between 1/4 and 1/3 of it. Just for reference, I go through soaps faster than most people. A puck of MWF lasted me about 70 shaves and a tub of B&M lasts me about 45-50. So if this soap lasts me 3-4 months, that's a pretty long-lasting 100 gram soap.

Overall, I think this is a soap worth trying. Decent value and very good performance. Hopefully they don't muck around with the forumla like everyone else seems to be doing these days.

Pedigree, Shaver X, Cpfrombv and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

cool review.:cool:i have dhr arlington soap.nice stuff.

feeltheburn likes this.
  3. Pedigree

Pedigree Active Member

Their soaps are elite, I have all six of them in their wooden bowls and the lavender shaving stick. The scent is more medicinal/herbal just like the lavender water, I sometimes superlather it with TOBS lavender cream.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    feeltheburn and brit like this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting and reminding me to update. I'm almost done with this puck. I actually smashed the remains of it into a shave stick container and have been using it that way for a few weeks now. I probably have less than a week left and should finish up with right around 80 shaves. So this is a pretty long-lasting soap that provides a decent value. I should also add post-shave feel to my original review. I have no complaints there. I haven't noticed any dryness after the shaves even when using this soap long-term. It is very good and worth trying. I haven't tried any other DRH scents in their hard soaps yet but having used their Windsor cream before, that'll probably be the scent that goes on my list to buy in the future.

5. Pedigree

Pedigree Active Member

Their Windsor soap is awesome.