Swaty barber hone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Drygulch, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

so I found my great great grandfather's razor, strop, and hone this weekend. The hone is a Frank Swatty barber's hone. It has a few raised areas that spear to be minerals. I have read they you shouldn't really lap these hones, so was wondering what the best way to fix this is, to make it usable.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I believe in Glen's @gssixgun barber hone video he mentions that he just the freshly lapped the one he was using. I dont know if brand or composition makes a difference, just an observation.

Drygulch and gssixgun like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I lapped mine, no problems. Then again, it's not a Swaty. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. *shrug*

Drygulch likes this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You can lap them

BUT

Three issues come up

#1). I have never had the issue with a Swaty but some of the BH's are only a coating around a core.. Once they start to erode there is little left .

#2). Getting the finish back, these hones were actually Finished / Burnished
    Much like an Arkansas Stone the finish on the steel is determined by the finish of the stone.. So after lapping out the bad stuff you need to have a plan to re-burnish the hone..

#3) Once these start to erode you may or may not ever be able to get them back.. You just have to try and see, but don't be disappointed if you start to lap and chunks come out rendering the hone useless

Good Luck

Drygulch likes this.
  5. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Here comes the noob! Is Swaty the brand name? Or is it a nick name for a specific type of hone? My guess is brand name.
    Congratulations on finding this treasure. I think finding things that belonged to an ancestor is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drygulch likes this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Frank Swatty is the brand of snythtic sharpening stone. I'm still learning too!

Pilotcld likes this.
  7. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Oh cool!! Thanks for the info. Some day I'll have the money to buy stuff like that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Keep your eyes open at antique and thrift stores. I passed up one this past weekend, a Swaty for $15. It was roughed up. I have lapped my Cattaraugus BH. It's same as the 3rd image down in this other sites page.
    Burnishing isn't too mysterious.

9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

It cleaned up with no lapping needed. I scraped it down with a single edge blade, and used a brush to scub it. Very happy.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Enrico, 45auto, DaltonGang and 6 others like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That looks really nice Adam

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Drygulch likes this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Well done, curious to hear how you like it.

Karl G and Drygulch like this.
  12. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Is that a honing stone or a barbers hone?

Karl G likes this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

That is a barber's hone. I have been reading on how to use it. Slap enough lather on it to break the surface tension of the water, and do five x strokes with no pressure on the hone. Have a few I will try this on, but my next two shaves are booked with new arrivals.

RezDog likes this.
  14. Dunkin78

Dunkin78 New Member

Hello I know this is a very old post you have here about your swatty stone. I just purchased one and it is in great shape. I used the method of puting shave cream on mine and I started with possibly to many I did 10 light strokes. I will see in the morning.

Karl G, DaltonGang, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    @Dunkin78

This might give you some ideas

Karl G likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, welcome to your first post. It only took you 4 years to post the first one. Do you mind sharing your Straight Razor shaving history? Perhaps a few pics of your blades??
    :eatdrink047:

Karl G likes this.
  17. Dunkin78

Dunkin78 New Member

Hello Arkoholic,
    I started using Strait Razors Strait Razor 2012.
    My very first Strait Boker 5/8
    Dovo 6/8
    Boker 6/8
    Thiers-Issard 7/8
    2 Koraat Customs
    Ralf Aust 7/8

I signed up for this forum 4 years ago but at the time I was using SRP Forum and looking at different areas. While on a ship the internet is never very reliable. So I mostly just look over post and when inport I will watch utube videos and take notes when it comes to honing etc. I am a Merchant Seaman, so I travel a lot and trying to carry around a bunch of stones just doesn’t work very well. So I have been looking at ways to lighten the load and take just the bare minimum. Just what I would need to keep my Straits (That I have with me) touched up until I get back home to give them a thorough honing for the next time at sea provided they need it. I keep a log of how many shave's I perform on razor as well as what I tried etc. I am currently using a Balsa(Chromium Green Oxide) and a diamond felt board which work quite well(I purchased from (Classic Edge). But I really like the idea of just trying a Barber Hone. Its small and if it works for me that would lighten my load quite a bit. This morning was the trial and after utilizing 10 x-strokes with shaving cream over the Swaty Hone and Linen/Leather Strop Shave Cream(CELLA). I have to say it was an outstanding shave this morning. My Thiers-Issard is a little more temperamental and I will have to have a go at it to see how well it likes the hone.

I appreciate all of the feed back I will look at everyone after I am done responding to yours.

As far as pictures go, once I am inport and I have better bandwidth I will post some pics of my current Straits I have with me. The rest are in lay-up at home.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome aboard, Just ask if you have any questions.

Dunkin78 likes this.