Gibbs Modéle Normal Nº 14/16

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jmudrick, Oct 6, 2017.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Arrived today another №16 variation, this one has a completely different head and handle than my other metal handled № 14.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Very nice, well done, I have the Gibbs adjustable, bought when prices were more reasonable, my best shaver. I ordered a spare handle and a tin travel box for it from Aaron.

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gibbs Normal/BIC (2). I'm very much biased against adjustable razors. My philosophy is that a razor is designed to perform at its best at a particular angle and level of pressure and any skilled shaver should be able to sort that out. An adjustable --- including the Gibbs -- is inherently a compromised beast for the lazy who prefer the razor adjust to their technique rather than vice versa. For that reason I tend to set all my adjustables at a mid setting as best representing the engineer's intent in optimizing a balance between efficiency and comfort. Like the design of an integrated amplifier which will play just dandy at any volume setting but whose distortion is or should be minimized at the setting most likely to be employed (as my studio monitors are designed). If I can't get to BBS that way I'm gonna blame technique or impatience not the tool.

All of which is to say that I vastly prefer the metal handle fixed head Gibbs Normal to its adjustable brother. Handling is a million times better and the +/- settings are sufficient to adapt to my needs. I used the mild side for the WTG pass on my beaed, the + for the second pass and for my head shave.

I know there aren't many who share this opinion of the Gibbs Normal, finding it too mild, but it sure works for me.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

cool looking razor..good and sturdy..

5. RFBNEW

RFBNEW Well-Known Member

Gibbs 14/16 is a great razor. I really like using them.

jmudrick likes this.
  6. IoanPop

IoanPop New Member

Given that the Rockwell 6S is the razor i know the best, how would Gibbs no.16 compare to it, what plates of the 6S would corespond to the +- Gibs system?

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.