Have you ever PIFed shave items/kits to family?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Angelo85, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I just had a visit from my uncle John today; at one point in his visit we got to talking about wet shaving. He looked like he would benefit from traditional wet shaving; so I, on the fly made him a makeshift starter kit from my own collection. I gave him the following items.
    Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO
    PAA Solar Flare brush
    Proraso Red soap and aftershave
    A variety of blades
    A styptic pencil

He was very happy to receive my gift, thanked me and said he’ll keep in touch when he needs advice. I felt good helping a family member get started in wet shaving, but this brought to mind a question for The Shave Den. Have you ever PIFed items or made a kit from your collection for a family member? If so how did it go?

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have to a grandnephew, Super Speed, and a couple to friends, a Flair Tip and a Post War Tech. All enjoy using them.

3. brit

brit in a box

i have built starter sets for some friends and work colleages who now enjoy them,my wife is currently test driving a brit ball end tech also.:).so far so good.:eatdrink047:

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I forgot about my GF, ooops. A Lady Starburst and a Lady Eversharp K1.

5. Angelo85

Very nice.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. Angelo85

That’s wonderful.

brit likes this.
  7. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I got my brother interested in wet shaving and have given him several items, including a birth year Gillette Superspeed on his birthday (he was especially excited about that), a couple of vintage brushes that I restored, and a variety of soaps. He told me recently that when his family asks him for gift ideas, he points them to Stirling Soap and tells them which fragrances he likes.

I have given my son-in-law several items, and he is enthusiastic about wet shaving. He also likes Stirling Soap. I gave him a starter set from my collection with an EJ DE89, and later when he was interested in adjustable razors, I gave him a Merkur Progress.

8. Angelo85

That’s awesome.

MoAllen and brit like this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I built sets for my 3 sons. Oldest received a Fatboy, blades, brush and soap. Second received a Weber, brush, blades and soap. Youngest received a Feather, Brush, blades and soap.

10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Wish I could say that I’ve been able to but my family isn’t really tight. But I got my wife involved by letting me straight razor her legs if that counts.

Troy M, Enrico, brit and 1 other person like this.
  11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Yes, I have given vintage razors and have made brushes for both family and friends. A few soap sticks too. It has gone quite well, I think. Razors have included Flare Tips and Techs.

12. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I set up 2 sons and a son-in-law with wet shaving kits. All got SuperSpeed razors, Semogue boar brushes, cream, and aftershave balm. A year later, 2 out of 3 are still wet shaving. The military one just doesn't have time for it right now. So I guess it was pretty successful.
    :)
    - Bax

13. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

One of my sons expressed interest, and that got me started. Two college age sons have given me a great excuse to go overboard in hoarding collecting traditional shaving gear.

I got my brother interested and provided him with a few razors, soaps, and brushes. After a few months, he loves the brushes and soaps but just does not get along with the DE razors. He returned the razors, and I supplied him with more soaps.

An uncle across the country was visiting last year. He was hooked and I was able to supply him with a nice startup.

Finally (so far), I introduced a young coworker to the fine art of gentlemanly shaving and I have overwhelmed him with so many supplies, he has gotten two of his friends set up for the journey!

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Yes.
    I have turned my cousin, son and son-in-law on to traditional wet shaving and they have received many items from me.

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Joseph, you've really turned yourself around since the early days of fatherhood.

1.jpeg

Ron R, brit, Angelo85 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Charlie,
    I NEVER made my kids vacuum with a Dyson. They were chained to a Kirby. Just needed to set the record straight.

17. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

All the time. 2 of the three of my boys use a DE and the third knows he can have one any time he wants. They can also stop by and get blades too. Same for my wife and daughter. I have also sent razors to their girlfriends and my nephews. I believe in sharing the joy.

18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Gave my brother a DE razor from Amazon, I believe it was called Silver Tone razor, very mild and a decent shave for less than $10. I also, unfortunately, let him “borrow” my Gillette NDC, and it seems to have found a new permanent home. :) I also gave him a blade assortment, and since he has fairly sensitive skin, gave him a couple bottles of Nivea after shave balm that has made a huge difference for him.

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We sent a shaving brush to one of my husband’s cousins. I have given a shaving set (Brush, my soap & Gillette Star razor) to a good friend.