J Wilder & Sons "Victor Razor"

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Oct 29, 2022.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

L Wilder & Sons
    "Victor Razor"
    Germany
    13/16th
    Extra Hollow Ground

Very Very rusty. But, we shall see what is hidden beneath. I was curious about the scales. I was hoping they were bone. But it is so crusted and stained, it is hard to tell.

PA190012.JPG

PA190013.JPG

Karl G likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

Step #1
    Stainless Steel wire brush.

I went to town on as much crusty rust as possible. I then scrubbed the scales, with soap, water, and a scouring pad.
    There were bone scales beneath. I will deal with the staining later. The scales turned out to be solid.
    Oh, a side note. After the scrubbing, I noticed the blade is a very thin ground Extra Hollow Belly Grind. The Belly Grind is a welcome plus.

PA290016.JPG

PA290017.JPG

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    brit, Karl G, ischiapp and 2 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Ok, time to work on it again. Been busy around the household. Wife sick, busy with work, spending time with daughter, yadda yadda yadda.

brit likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

I spent part of the morning, wet sanding with 180 and 220 grit sandpaper. There is extensive pitting that will never be able to be sanded out. So, I stopped there, for now. I soaked the scales In Hydrogen Peroxide and bleached the bone scales a much lighter color. Much more sanding to come.

PB130022.JPG

PB130018.JPG

brit and TestDepth like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

I would have started by unpinning the razor. You can get it much cleaner that way. The scales do look nice. A soaking in neatfoot oil would help the bone from being brittle. Watch the edge of that blade for pitting. Be sure to get clean steel along the entire edge before wasting too much time sanding and honing. As if you can't get good steel across the entire edge it will just flake away when honing.
    Still, It's a big project. IMO, I would have saved the scales and tossed the blade. But I have more than enough razors in my life. It is a good learning prosses to see what you can do to it so check that edge before going much further. Set a bevel.

6. DaltonGang

I have done this, a few too many times. The edge looks very clean, so I will not toss it. It will not be NOS looking, but if the steel is good, I'm sure it will take a fine edge, and look decent.