Last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by fram773, May 7, 2014.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I liked Rob Zombie's way of showing how the Munsters started. I mean it wasn't a great movie, but enjoyable. I guess you need to know how Zombie's mind works.

Sara-s likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Patriot. Still a good film.

Lockback, jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just watched a documentary called "The Automat". Mel Brooks and some descendants of the original Horn & Hardart were among the narrators.

Frijolero likes this.
  6. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Shaun the Sheep Movie

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Ooh…I love Shaun the Sheep!

MoAllen likes this.
  8. MoAllen

Thor Love and Thunder

It was kind of silly, not the best of the Thor movies.

p_thorloveandthunder_639_593cb642.jpeg

Lockback and Frijolero like this.
  9. MoAllen

We totally enjoyed it. Once you have the "Shaun The Sheep" song in your mind, you can't get rid of it!

Michael_W and Sara-s like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Very true. I saw that movie a while back & kept humming the song.

MoAllen and Michael_W like this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

We just watched Wakanda Forever. I think it is a fitting tribute to Chadwick Boseman, and a good movie. I liked that they made Namor into K’uk’ulkan. He is a great antihero, imho.

Frijolero and Michael_W like this.
  12. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Wakanda Forever, but if it's anything like its predecessor it'll approach greatness but fall short because of over-reliance on extended action/chase sequences and cruddy CGI at the expense of story and character development, with an antagonist whose motivations are in competition with one another and therefore come across as forced and insincere. Don't get me wrong; I liked Black Panther, but MCU insists too much on making the movies conform to a shallow and often hypocritical message, which hinders real creativity and limits whatever moral the storytellers are trying to convey to the audience.

Sorry. I don't mean to dump all over the movies or rain on your proverbial parade; if you liked the movie, great. I do plan on seeing it specifically to see how it does the memory of Chadwick Boseman justice. I think he was a good actor whose life and career were cut short by cancer and obviously he was loved enough by cast mates and crew enough that recasting the role of T'Challa was considered disrespectful even years after his passing. It's just that as a screenwriter and film critic, More often than not when I watch a movie I have to pick it apart and really examine it in order to judge it on its merits. And when it comes to MCU and DCEU, more often than not I find the movies extremely wanting because of the dictates of the studios to make sure they're not too deep. That's why I love when an exception to the rule comes along like Shazam! or Joker, because in spite of the limitations placed on them by the genre, they manage to shine and give something truly enjoyable.

Now, having said all that, the last movie I watched all the way through was, unfortunately, Halloween Ends, and having seen it and its immediate predecessor I am confident saying David Gordon Green really ought to have stopped at the 2018 revival. I'm currently watching Wes Craven's Deadly Blessing and so far its decent, albeit a bit slow to take off compared to movies of today. But when it does take off, that's when everything is paid off.

Tdmsu, Shaver X and Frijolero like this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Here is one movie that does not substitute razzle dazzle CGI for story or character development. A dark, brooding movie, but a very good one IMHO.

Brimstone

Michael_W and Frijolero like this.
  14. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Shaver X likes this.
  15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I just got done watching this one. Very good, and free online with just a few commercials courtesy of YouTube Movies & TV.

The Illusionist

Michael_W and Frijolero like this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

CODA- very enjoyable. For those that are not familiar with the usage, CODA, in this case means “Child of Deaf Adults.”
    The signing is subtitled. But even if you really don’t sign, watch the signing as well as the subtitles, or you will miss a good bit of humor.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

Sadly, I rarely go to movies anymore even though there's an AMC Theater literally a stone's throw away ...
    I guess the last movie I saw was the last Avengers flick. I grew up with those comic books (I had the first issues of Spider-Man, Daredevil and X-Men and threw them away :prrr: ) but I'm tired of the whole Marvel Universe thing now.
    I love understated movies that made you think like the original "Day Of The Jackal" with Edward Fox but nowadays that doesn't cut it. It has to have 34 car chase scenes and 12,000 rounds of ammunition expended .... (Sigh)
    I'm not a fan of Hollywood in general: their whole world view, etc. So I don't give them my money anymore.

Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  18. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That's why I enjoy vintage movies.

:)

Lockback likes this.
  20. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

Bingo!