Some guy blind tests store brand coffee

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Nov 27, 2022.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

He's slightly annoying but pretty good with his descriptions. I knew the finals would include Tim Horton and Major Dickinson.

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

In the last few years, we've drank more Tim Hortons Original and Peet's Major Dickason's than anything else. It is interesting to see how they compared to other store brands. We settled on Peet's.

Paul Turner and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm more on the darker roast, but non-acidic coffee. I can accept/enjoy medium roast, but light roast make me feel as though as I'm drinking dishwater. I'll have to try some Peet's Major Dickinson's coffee as long as it comes in whole bean (I like to coarse grind my coffee).

:eatdrink013:

gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's 4:06 and I am enjoying a delicious cup of Peet's Major Dickason's. The first "dark" roast, I actually enjoy. I am "light roast" kinda guy. :eatdrink013:

Gasman, Paul Turner, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    More than slightly annoying. ;)

Paul Turner, Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

James Hoffman is fairly well known for his coffee reviews. Thanks for sharing. I roast my own, but I am curious what he considers the best grocery store brand and will have to watch the video.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Another Peet's aficionado here. I prefer the Sumatran, and we occasionally buy decaf Major Dickason's for an evening brew.

Unfortunately, we drink too much coffee to be able to afford Peet's Sumatran all the time... So we get the Kirkland brand (Costco) Sumatran, which is made by the Rodgers Family (aka San Francisco Bay Coffee Co.) Jon Roger originally learned to roast coffee from the head roaster at Peets, so we come full circle here.

Edit: we go through about 3-4 lbs. of coffee a month. Quite a bit for a married couple with no kids.

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Now I feel like an oink ............ between home and what I brew myself at work we do ~6-8 lbs. I purchase whole bean Wegman's Espresso coffee.

:eatdrink013:

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I may have tried Peet coffee years ago.

I like lighter roasts, they seem to give me a harder caffeine jolt than the darker roasts.

gorgo2, Bird Lives and Paul Turner like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I included one of Doc Ezlovan's coffees in my 2022 Stoylin Tony Awards event. Ground, of course.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Well, that's interesting. Starbux ain't for you, eh?(Course they have lighter ones).

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

I think what's annoying is the sound of his sniffs. But I agree, he speaks well on this.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Slurps.

Paul Turner likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Oh, I didn't know the coffees were alread in the cups.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Well, there goes my idea of doing videos for future Stoylin Tony Awards Best-In-Shows :cool:

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Oh-oh......RIGGED.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Starbucks has an amazing ability to make even their lighter roasts taste burnt, imo.

mrchick, gorgo2, PanChango and 6 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

+1:)

gorgo2, lightcs1776 and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I can burn my own coffee at home for way cheaper.

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I thought we bought 1 1/2 lb bags, but they are 3 lb bags.

So uh, yeah. We go through about 12 lbs of coffee a month during the fall and winter months. And my wife drinks energy drinks on top of the two 12 cup pots of coffee she starts the day off with. My intake is a bit more modest, at only 1 to 1 1/2 pots a day, and no energy drinks.

gorgo2, Bird Lives and Enrico like this.