30 Day Rule/Focus; Dec 2022. All are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Nov 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi everyone!

Christmas is a few weeks away and 2023 is not far behind. I would say 2022 has had its ups and downs for most of us. This is the time of year when people are more kinder and generous to each other. Unfortunately, for most of us, it only lasts during this time of year. However, I am optimistic that 2023 will be a year of understanding, and love for all of us here on the thread and extending it beyond our circle of friends and acquaintances.

OK, let's move on to the business of shaving. Again, thanks so much for sharing your shave posts this month. Without you guys, this thread doesn't exist so I appreciate everyone's effort to keep it going.. Once again, everyone had good to exceptional shaves this month. This month's theme is a no-brainer because it's DE December. That's right! It is the month to bring out your DE razors.
    Most of you have them so it should be easy for you guys to adhere to this theme. Now, I have other suggestions that are more specific. How about Declaration Grooming or Dovo December? Yes, I know that most of you don't have these brands. So, you may want to consider a Dual December. What is that you say? Well, you can use 2 different razors during a shave. Yeah, that might be too much effort. Who really wants to clean out 2 razors for 1 shave! How about repeating your shave setup for two consecutive shaves? I believe that would be more viable. Of course, Do Whatever You Want December is always an option.

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this thread!

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave.

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great December of awesome shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Herm2502, Hembree, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

A great intro to December Joe...I'll be carrying with my revisiting Subcontinent blades , and using my usual eclectic suspects for the rest of the month, with the addition of some christmas assortments.

Hembree, brit, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  3. palmolive fox

1st December 2022.

4.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Nivea Men Power Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Palmolive Naturals Olive & Milk Bar Soap.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm Naples Tuxedo Synthetic.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: MWF.
    Blade: V12 Super Platinum. (D2)
    Razor: Baili BD177 Rose Gold TTO.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Alum Rub. /Cold Water Rinse. / Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. / Denim Original ASL. / Cien Aloe Vera Body Lotion.

Greetings,

Early Morning Shave,

Another comfortable smooth shave to finish my shaving week off in grand style. 'The Fat' never fails to provide a superb slick protective lather.

Both the Lancet super SP & V12 super SP have performed wonderfully throughout the week with no problems of tugging or irritation. If i had to choose a winner it would be the V12 SP, reason being, paired together with both the Baili BD177 & Baili BD 191 in my previous shave was a superb comfortable performance.

A surprisingly good blade from the subcontinents that i will use again in my future shaves pairing it up with different razors.

You can't give a true verdict on any blade after just a few shaves, but the V12 super SP i feel as if this blade can uphold and maintain a good smooth cutting edge.

I am of opinion that most DE blades regardless to where they are manufactured on offer today are pretty good. There are exceptions of course, but most are pretty good and give acceptable results.

I categorize blades as super-sharp, sharp and not-so-sharp. Because of my mature rhino skin type and tough beard, I can handle most blades.

The issue I find with blades is that not every blade works for every person.

I repeat myself by saying shaving is all about practising your technique & shaving confidence.

A very comfortable 2 pass + pick-ups shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Cien Aloe Vera Body Lotion.

My face is feeling smooth cool & smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Herm2502, Hembree, brit and 3 others like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Another excellent introduction Joe. I think I may incorporate a couple of themes this month.
    1. DE shaves - at least half o my shaves with be of the DE variety.
    2. 1508.5 Project for the Lakewood Soap Prarie Song (So approximately 15 - 16 shaves)
    3. Barrister & Mann Dickens Revisted - Christmas Eve & Day. (Can have a sprinkling of other days through the month.)

Of course there will be a few DG shaves in there as well.

Hembree, brit, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Superb start to the month Barry.

Hembree, brit, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  6. palmolive fox

Thank you, Joe.

Hembree, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  7. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I finally have my firewood all done. I need to shave today as I have not in 4 days now. I have to run a few errands so, I will shower and then shave.

Razor - 1967 Gillette Slim set on 5
    Blade - Fresh Crown blade
    Brush- -Simpson Trafalgar T-3
    Soap - Taylors Rose Shaving Cream
    Pre-shave - Proraso Blue
    Post shave - Thayers Toner "Rose Petal" & Proraso balm
    AS - Pinaud Clubman - Vanilla

Cold morning so I may use my scuttle mug and pre-heat it with hot water while I shower.

DSCN1777.JPG

Hembree, ewk, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. Trigger

Thanks for the kind words Barry and Joe. I appreciate it.

9. Trigger

Great start to the month Barry. I agree that if you have mastered your shaving technique, then you should be able to shave with any blade that's decent. However, I will admit that is not always the case based on one's skin and beard type. Of course, a blade will outperform another because it's a great match for the shaver. Fortunately, I haven't used a blade that gave me any problems. Enjoy your afternoon.

10. Trigger

Awesome start to the month Hogie. I guess Theo is on vacation. Lol!

11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Theo has been a grouch lately. He has not slept on the bed with me in over a week now! I am not sure why he is in such a state.
    I have to run errands today so, he will prolly be mad at me again!
    DSCN1718.JPG

Hembree, JACarbone, brit and 2 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Is a vet visit in the works soon?

13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Just in time with the firewood. Fantastic looking shave Hogie.

Hembree, Hogie, brit and 1 other person like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well, this was an odd Throwback Thursday choice, as I couldn't come up with exact origins for my lineup. Next Thursday I'll do better with that persuasion-you wil see. Anyway, another decent shave. I'm glad my choice of gel is Edge, as it isn't so strong as to blow away aftershave scents(I think Gillette and Nivea were too strong). North Porcupine Alley(just below the nose)and a section of the right cheek were the only problems. I corrected Porcupine after breakfast, but decided to wait til tomorrow to do the right cheek. Wiil just have to do better than today. A little too much astroturf in both areas. No cuts, Knicks, polka-dots, which was great. One pass(as is custom for sophisticated goo shaves). The Paul Sebastian aftershave is a fantastic scent (he also made colognes). Finished again with Pierre Cardin cologne. Very Excellent.

Hembree, JACarbone, brit and 2 others like this.
  15. Trigger

I have read that when a pet's behavior has changed, then he is either sick or ticked. Hope it's the latter and not the former.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  16. palmolive fox

Ditto Joe. Take care. Yours-Barry.:happy088:

17. palmolive fox

Your welcome.

Hembree, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

awesome start to the month gents.:cool:

19. brit

brit in a box

awesome Gary.:cool:

20. brit

brit in a box

thursday
    brit fb tech/polsilver
    omega
    arko
    c & e lime balm

[​IMG]

good morning gents
    quick arko work shave
    awesome.
    have a fine day everyone.
    :eatdrink047:

ChrisB, Hembree, ewk and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.