~~~ best modern cartridge razor ~~~

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by idan, May 23, 2018.

?

~~~ best modern cartridge razor ~~~

1. Gillette Mach 3

2. Gillette Mach 3 Turbo

3. Gillette Fusion

4. Gillette Fusion Proglide

5. Gillette Fusion Proshield

6. Schick Quattro

7. Schick Hydro 5 Sense

8. Schick Hydro 3

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

The link before the image, has all info about.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You meant Trac II, good sir?

Pedantically yours...

Kilgore Trout and wristwatchb like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I just picked up another Trac II handle for <$6 including shipping from India. I also buy the Personna blades in bulk. It works great for a quick shave or for travel.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Have you tried the old Schick rose pattern handle? It's nice. Silver plated too.

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks. I haven't, but it is on the radar now.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    No. Atra pivots, Trac II does not, unless I'm thinking of a different twin blade razor?

Edit: I see. The lock switch locks the pivot function, not the blade suspension. So yes, you are correct. Like a Trac II.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Is that the International Silver produced one? I have the plain silver one, aka "the Paul Revere" handle. Always wanted the injector version, but never quite got around to adding one to the collection.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They may have produced it but it's stamped Schick. It's the one with the floral or rose pattern embossed on both sides of the handle. It's pretty nice.

The now vintage Slim Twin handle accepts Atra type carts but has a switch to lock it into Trac II (non-pivot) mode, if that interests anyone.

9. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

Back in the Good Olde Days (like, 6 months ago), I used Dollar Shave Club 6-blade cartridges, which I believe were/are made by Dorco in South Korea, and I thought they were pretty doggone good. In fact, the best cartridge razors I've ever used.

10. ischiapp

Mine is from China.
    Branded Aceshaving, via Aliexpress.

Trac2 / G2 are nice cart.
    I feel like a double single edge.
    And the handle can be nice, and cheap too.
    https://imgur.com/XT7CADd
    https://imgur.com/OZ8PhFU

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same ones were available at Dollar General, without the markup.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Lockback like this.
  12. Lockback

Lockback Well-Known Member

Interesting. And, I believe, on Amazon.

13. ischiapp

Very interesting.
    Still available on eBay and some market in India / Asia.
    [​IMG]

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It was a very good cart but nothing touches the Wilkinson Bonded, imo.

Ijustmissedthe50s and ischiapp like this.
  15. ischiapp

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There is a resemblance. The only injector I still have is the Golden 500.

17. CCS

CCS New Member

While I almost never use carts, when I do use them, it's for catching strays. A full shave? Extremely rare. I used to keep unbranded disposable twin blades for strays but, last year, I found a Mach 3 Turbo gift set in a closet of unused Xmas gifts. I was going to toss it but tried the razor for touch ups and it worked better than the twin blade disposables. At a Costco sale, I bought a case of 20 Mach 3 Turbo carts on sale and it worked out to about $1.85 each. More than a lifetime's worth at my age, especially for nothing more than catching missed whiskers. I found these easy to use and rinse. I tried Track II back in the days they first came on the market but went back DE, I would guess, within the year. For me, no better shave than with a good DE razor using good soap/cream and proper prep/technique.

18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I am curious about Harry’s. The ad says they bought a German razor blade factory.

19. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I saw a knock-off of this on AliExpress, complete with the lever to lock the pivot. I forgot which vendor.
    BTW, the original is a good razor, as far as carts go.

There is no Gillette Guard on the survey. One of the best. I still don't know why they refuse to make it officially available outside of India. Probably afraid it will catch on. They do use the head on that disposable razor made to shave someone else with - Treo.

I started my shaving life with Atra. That will always be a sentimental fav. When I do use Atra or Trac II style, my go-to is the Twin Pivot Plus from Personna. 100 for around $15. Some people do not like them, but they work fine for me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  20. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

BTW, the Edgewell/Personna equivalent (meaning the same number of blades) of the razor on the survey chart is just as good as what's on the chart.