MUHLE R41 stainless steel 'anniversary' model? Or ...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Jan 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Did a search and didn't find anything so, here goes ...

Who uses one of the full stainless steel R41 razors from Muhle? How does it compare to the two Zamak versions (Grand and Regular)?

Or, put another way, if you were going to spend ~$150 on a new stainless steel safety razor, what would you get and why? Or, am I being foolish in overlooking Titanium versions?

TIA,
    Sid

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I wouldn't get an aggressive 'niche' razor like an R41 for my first stainless razor. I'd want something a bit more versatile.

I'd probably go with a Blackbird, or one of Yaqi's or Italian Barber's stainless offerings. Maybe the Greencult 2.0. There's a lot of $100-$125 stainless razors out there. You don't have to spend $300 to get a really good stainless razor anymore these days.

Bird Lives, sidpost, Lockback and 2 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree with @PLANofMAN, no need to get $150.00+ stainless razors. The Greencult and Rockwell go for about the same price. One advantage with the Rockwell 6S is that you can fine tune your shave by trying the different plates to see which aggression level suits you.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Lancre likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Honestly, if I was looking for a moderately aggressive razor for a one pass shave, knowing what I know now, I would have to go with a G. E. Jones Shake Sharp. All the efficiency of a GEM single edge, with all the blade choices available to DE shavers. There's a nice chrome one on eBay right now, and the seller is accepting offers.

Edit: the only downside to it, imo, is the handle is on the shorter side.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    Bird Lives and Lancre like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I would consider a pre-owned, in your price range, Feather AS-D2.

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You know he's looking for a razor that's more on the aggressive side, right?

sidpost likes this.
  7. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Yep, thanks to the references here and in other threads, I'm seeing some good alternatives in the same ~$125 range.

8. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Absolutely, a really mild or "plain jane" razor is not what I'm looking for and is not what I generally like. Especially now that my whiskers are getting coarser and tougher.

9. Primotenore

Article Team
    It's simple. Ignore Post #5

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It was in a previous thread that he discussed what he was looking for from a razor. I'm sorry if it looked like I was jumping down your throat. I just didn't want Sid to wind up with a razor that he almost certainly would dislike, given his preferences.

Bird Lives likes this.
  11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

It takes both DE blades and GEM blades? Very unusual.

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    All good. Moving on.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Only DE. The patent covered a razor that could take both, but it was never produced. Only the DE model was. It does shave exactly like a GEM SE razor though.

I actually shaved with mine this morning after I got frustrated with my Thiers Issard Spartacus straight. Stuck a blue blade in it with an unknown number of shaves already on it. Great shave.

Checked the Spartacus and it failed the HHT (hanging hair test). It's going to go on the hones later.

14. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

How does the Italian Barber RazoRock Game Changer .84-P and .68-P compare to each other and a more modern Muhle R41 non-stainless/Titanium version? At $55, they sure look tempting compared to 3x the price for a stainless Muhle R41.

16. Primotenore

Article Team
    Now I can safely speak...
    I own both the GC .84 OC and a 2011 Mühle R41 and there is a BIG difference.
    Love the GC. Excellent Fit 'n Finish. Terrific shave.
    The R41---especially the 2011, is a much more "Blade forward" razor, which'll take some technique upgrades, whereas you can jump right in with the RR.
    I vote Game Changer.

sidpost likes this.