Fatip replacement handles?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Jan 19, 2023.

1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I understand Fatip razors use a different thread pitch than most safety razors; something like 4.75x5mm or something similar with Muhle and others which seem to be 5x8mm.

What aftermarket handles are available for these razor heads or, would I need to have a local machinist turn one for me?

TIA,
    Sid

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Fatip uses M4.5 x 0.75 threading and Schone and Joris razor handles will work on them.

Some early Gillette handles are fairly close to the same threading, and can work, but not perfectly.

You should be able to have a machinist modify any handle you want to work on a Fatip. Most likely they will drill the handle out, insert a filler piece, swage the handle and filler piece together, and then redrill and tap the handle with M4.5 x 0.75 threading. It will be cheaper than having him or her make a completely new handle.

Edit: I suggest you run this post by @twhite our resident forum machinist, and see what he says.

Enrico and sidpost like this.
  3. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You ring?
    the easiest way it to open up to 1/4-28 thread. Then loctite a threaded plug in and drill and tap to the M4.5x.75. That is if the neck of the razor is large enough to accommodate a 1/4 thread. I suggest this size so there is some meat between the threads. you might have to step down to a 6mm thread. It is a simple machining fix for sure.

PLANofMAN, sidpost and Enrico like this.