What are you waiting on to arrive...?

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Darkbulb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

The kriss Kross or any type of those de blade sharpeners caught my eye.. . At some point I need to get a strop..

PLANofMAN, Enrico and cliffb599 like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I got it mostly for the Kris Kross. The strops were just a bonus. I'll dig through the blades and keep any good ones. The GEM blades are probably still good. The clippers I'll sharpen and sell here for the cost of shipping if anyone wants one. Ditto for the shave brushes, unless any are restorable without removing the knots. The strops I'll restore and use. Might cut the worst one up for Rolls replacement strops. They are all probably shell horsehide, as old as they are. Might sell one of them cheap, as a newbie starter strop. We'll see.

The seller is going to roll them up for me, rather than fold them. That's always a nice bonus when the seller will work with you.

Just looked at Kriss Kross prices on eBay. They want stupid money for them. There's other stroppers that work just as well, if not better, for a fraction of the price. Twinplex or Blue Beard stroppers, just to name a few.

Edit: oh, and the full pack of Kroman blades at the bottom of the pile of blades that aren't visible in any of the pictures.

...I wish. Lol

Edit 2: I honestly didn't expect to win it. I put in a fairly low bid at the last second, with the expectation that someone would bid higher than $30.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Frijolero, jaro, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I always accepted the "fact" that those old stroppers didn't work on stainless blades, and my haphazard trials seemed to bear that out years ago.

Recently, I've been told that people are getting good results with stainless by using stropping compound, so that's renewed my interest in these things a bit, plus all things considered, I already have a lifetime supply of carbon super blue blades. Several lifetimes, in fact, since I do use stroppers and shake sharp razors with them, which extends the life of the blades considerably further than all but the very best stainless blades can hope to match.

Frijolero and cliffb599 like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That cool, glad you got what you were hoping for.

:)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    What were you interested in, other than the Kriss Kross?

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I see a brush that I like............

Frijolero and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Pay for shipping and I'll send you all the brushes. I have zero interest in any of them.

Frijolero, cliffb599, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

sounds good

cliffb599 and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. jaro

I have some carbon blades too, I saw the twinplex and will probably go that route....

10. jaro

were there blade banks? and what is the top strop??

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I see one blade bank in the picture. I have no idea what the top strop is, other than it seems to have a linen component, and I assume this was all stuff that came from a barber shop that closed down, and was likely display pieces or decorations. The strops all look like early 1900's barber strops.

I just won the auction a few hours ago. Teleportation isn't a technology we have yet. Lol.

Frijolero likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If you go that route, the leather straps on the inside will need to be cleaned with saddle soap, and be redressed with strop dressing. Be fairly gentle, the leather when wet is fragile. I wore through mine when cleaning it, but luckily in a spot where it doesn't affect the blade. I may replace the leather in it anyway. I haven't decided yet.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. jaro

Oh why not??? :) ;)

Frijolero and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The oil companies suppressed it, of course. ;) :p

Frijolero likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've never really looked at the Kriss Kross in any sort of depth, and now I'm playing catch-up. (I did say this was more or less an impulse buy, right?)

Apparently the Kriss Kross works on 'most' blades. This includes DE, GEM type, and injector blades. Plus whatever other blades will fit. This separates it from the vast majority of stroppers, most of which only work on DE blades.

Very interesting...

I guess that explains the high prices. I have no explanation for the prices otherwise. It's impractical for a DE blade, as it only does one side at a time, but it also automatically decreases pressure over time as it nears the end of the stropping cycle. The pressure is also manually adjusted before stropping to account for whether the blade is new or well used. There's a couple unique concepts at play here, and they draw heavily (I know, I'm punny) from vintage straight razor stropping techniques.

Edit: took a closer look at the strops in the photos. The top one looks savable, as does the bottom one. Both appear to have a linen component on the back, though the bottom one might have a leather one instead. The center strop is not salvageable, but looks to have a second leather strop component, also not salvageable. It will become donor leather segments for my twinplex and strop material for Rolls Razors. All the strops are covered in black stropping compound, so who knows what they look like under all that.
    Screenshot_2023-01-26-22-12-59-55_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    jimjo1031, brit, jaro and 3 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

2 pucks of erasmic soap.awesome stuff..:)

Enrico, Frijolero, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A Merkur Progress that was miss marked ....... offer was accepted.

s-l1600-25.jpg

Never tried one and price was right.

:)

jtspartan, jaro, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  18. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Awesome

Sent from my K118 using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  19. jaro

I keep looking for one of those too.. Congrats....

jimjo1031, Enrico and cliffb599 like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It was purely by accident ..... I wasn't even looking. Looks to be a woman selling returns.

jimjo1031, jaro and cliffb599 like this.