Travel razors? What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Jan 16, 2023.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I personally would take a World War 2 Gillette Tech, very efficient.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: And not difficult to replace.

:)

Hembree and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

You can literally find so many when searching for them.

Hembree and Enrico like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Dollar Tree sells DE razors for $1. Perfect for travel and blood letting.

Hembree and Herm2502 like this.
  5. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I don't see those on their website and haven't seen them in store either.

Hembree likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not all stores stock them, also check Dollar General they also have their own line of DE blades and now razors.

Hembree likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Apparently Dollar General now longer sells DG branded blades. The blades and razors are branded as Shavely, DE razor is $7.50.

Hembree likes this.
  8. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

My local rural Texas DG was restocked with Shavely razor products. For the price, I think I will pass on giving them a test run.

Hembree and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Save your money for a pre-war Tech or a nice Super Speed.

Hembree, sidpost and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I'm checking eBay periodically along with the for-sale forum over on Badger and Blade. eBay seems pretty overpriced right now and most of them look pretty rough. Badger and Blade users seem to hang on to theirs pretty hard too so, the search goes on ...

I'm not much of a flea market or antique store guy but, as a work friend used to say, "even the blind squirrel occasionally finds the acorn!" Sort of like playing the lottery, if I don't go I won't find one!

Hembree, jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Do an eBay search for "Gillette razor box." It should kick back all the NOS techs with boxes as a result. You can thank me later. :)

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Lots of times they look worse in the pictures and more times than not clean up nicely. Stainless steel sink cleaner works great for cleaning tarnish off of nickel plated razors.

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yaqi also has some nice lower priced razors if you want to buy direct from their aliexpress store.

14. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I like my Gillette Heritage Travel Razor (still available on Amazon), mostly because of the hard case. Or I carry the Parker 4-pc travel razor (with a Gillette Traveler head) in its little leatherette pouch.

Someone needs to come up with a nice, rugged travel case that'll hold a DE razor (without disassembly) and a tuck of blades. That way it'll accommodate butterfly razors as well as 3-pc razors.

- Bax

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I just wrap mine up in a paper towel or T-Shirt.

16. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

That search brings up a lot of better results than a normal razor search. Thanks!

Hembree, jimjo1031 and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1675441605917.JPEG
    I normally carry a tech in there, but it will accommodate razors up to a Gillette Fatboy, and still close. I've tried to find the case by itself on AliExpress, just unlabeled, as I don't like "the PLOW" on my travel case. It carries a full tuck of blades too.

Hembree, wristwatchb, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  18. jimjo1031

I have a similar case but blue. Haven't seen it in a while, maybe in a box of stuff.

Hembree and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Walmart sells plastic bar soap containers. Perfect size for most DE razors and blades. I wrap the razor in a soft cloth to keep it from rattling inside the container.

1.jpeg

Hembree, Herm2502 and Enrico like this.
  20. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

With the mirror, it looks like a pretty good travel option. I haven't seen anything remotely close to it in my Aliexpress or eBay searches.

For anyone looking for something like this, the Pelican "micro" cases are pretty durable and come in a wide variety of sizes for different razors.