Question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Ben Keller, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

Ok I know I'm going to get raked over the coals for this question,but I'm very new at this and I'm using a King C Gillette and regular Gillette gel. I'm wondering what is wrong with this combo?? I've had a several people tell me I need to switch to a cream or soap and use a brush. When I try to find some of that stuff to buy I get very lost on what to buy or am surprised how expensive it is??? Im kinds in a rough patch in my life right now and money is tight. I'm very lost and in need of advice. Thank you

Herm2502, Lancre, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't let people tell you what you need to use or how you must use it.
    It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.
    Several threads around here that talk about buying on a budget.
    I'm sure someone can hunt those down and provide the links here for ya!

Herm2502, Lancre, Ratpoison and 2 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hi Ben.

Ditto on what @swarden43 said. If Gillette gel works for you, you're golden. Some find that using a brush with soap or cream provides a nicer experience/variety of scents/improved skincare/better shave, etc., but that's up to the individual.

If you decide to try an inexpensive brush and soap or cream, you have some fantastic options. This is an area where paying more for something doesn't necessary get you better performance.

Our friend @Jayaruh always has brushes up for adoption. I have a couple he's made for me and really like them. They are very affordable. He's a brush expert and a good guy, and I'm sure he'll give you some good ideas on a first brush. https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/black-friday-blowout-jayaruh-brushes-adoption.66904/

If you'd like to try a boar brush, this one is a dandy for $10.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CB8Q4Y/?tag=thshde-20

Taylor of Old Bond street creams are available on Amazon in many different scents. They perform great.

The scent is not for some, but Arko is a top performing/inexpensive soap available on Amazon. I have 60 shaves on a stick of Arko (cost me $1.50), and I ain't done with it yet.

Stirling Soaps are another good option.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

5. Ratpoison

Ratpoison Well-Known Member

I think a lot go us here are on a budget. Probably safe to say a lot of us here were lost when we first started out. The main objective is to enjoy the shave.

One of my first soaps was Taylor of Old Bond Street & Stirling Soap the main brands I use today. As for the brush (I’m not a big brush guy) I have three. Two Synthetics from The Body Shop in the mall. And a RazoRock Disruptor. Half the fun is figuring out what works for you.

Try adding a few drops of water mixed in the gel. I used to use Barbasol foam when I did that I could tell a big difference.

May things get better for you soon.

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Best advice. Take what you already own and learn to use it correctly. Post questions; post successes; have fun.

brit, Paul Turner, Terry and 2 others like this.
  7. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

Thank you all for the advice!!! I'm gonna stop worrying about what I don't have and enjoy the ride!! I've bought a blade sampler and going to give some a try new ones!!

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to TSD.

9. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shave Den, Hope your favorite blade is in your sample pack. What brands did you get?.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

10. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

I got some Derby, shark, Voskhod, Astra, Wilkinson, Gillette and a bunch of others that I can't
    remember. So far Im not a fan of Astra stainless, but I did like the Voskhod. I did get a pack of a different Astra blade platinum?? I will try out. I have a ways to go to try them all out.

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

sounds like you've got it covered.enjoy.:):eatdrink047:

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you find you don't care for a blade now (or any product you're using now), set it aside for about six months and come back to it after you've worked on your technique.
    Many folks have been surprised that what didn't work then works now.

Paul Turner, Lancre and wristwatchb like this.
  13. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

Don't let anyone tell you this, that, or the other thing is a necessity. The Gillette Gel is fine. Heck, I started with a Dial bath bar and my fingers. All that counts is what works for YOU. In the future you may want to try out different possibilities, but they're just that - optional. You've already done the one thing I consider important, getting a blade sampler to find out what works for you. Enjoy!

14. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

+1

15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Same here with both Barbasol and Nivea Gel. Add water a few drops at a time until the lather gets really slick.