Woohoo! Vintage GEM G-bar headed my way!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Mar 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I scored a really clean GEM G-bar razor on Etsy! For whatever reason, I can't seem to access my account on Etsy for a picture or any details but, it should be here in 7~14 days!

Looking forward to giving it a spin! I probably paid a few dollars more than an estate sale but, I also don't have any gas money in this purchase so, sort of all comes out in the wash to be a good deal for <$20 IMHO. Photos are all rust-free and fairly shiny and bright so, I should be set with a good razor.

Hembree, gorgo2, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Under $20? Great score!!

Hembree, Herm2502 and Ron R like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Most of the gem razors except for the early lather catchers and Gem Jewel razors are not considered collectible and can be had for $30 or less. The G-bar is as good as any to start with.

Hembree, Herm2502 and Ron R like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Enjoy the shave Sid, looks like your enjoying traditional wet shaving!

Hembree likes this.
  5. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I looked at a lot of sub-$30 options and when I saw this one on ETSY, I jumped on it! Many of them had little rust spots or scratches, or lots of freckles, and some even had rust pits. For less than $20 shipped, I jumped with a little thought about an impulse buy and pulled the trigger on this purchase.

Hembree likes this.
  6. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Cool! I picked up a G-Bar a couple of years ago but still haven't tried it yet. I picked up most of the Gem and Ever-ready models since they are relatively inexpensive. I still have a nearly full pack of 100 Gem blades, too -- so I probably need to give these a little more love soon.

As an aside: In today's world, buying online is your best bet if you want to build up a collection of anything, not just razors. I've never seen any razors for sale at antique shops or Goodwills in my area. It's been awhile since I visted an antique shop, since the one 2 minutes from my house closed a couple of years ago. It was huge -- several floors.

One of my other hobbies is collecting vinyl. I prefer online to stores, although there are a few less than 10 miles from home. The last time I went to one, the selection was large, but no prices were marked. When you asked the price, what did the store-owner do? You guessed it - he looked on eBay. I bought a few items but if you are just going to look up prices on eBay, then I'll just stick to eBay. I assume it is the same way with some stores and razors, too, but I usually hear of the great deals people get at brick-and-mortars on razors. My guess is the great deals are few and far between. I tend to focus on a particular model then go on a hunt. Online, you can quench your thirst relatively quickly. Finding exactly what you want out in the wild is a long-shot, I presume.

7. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I sure am! Unlike collecting knives or axes that don't get used, I can shave twice a day if I want to enjoy my razors or a new soap. I'm even playing with some skin balms too! Great way to destress and unwind for me too!

ShaversRUs and Ron R like this.
  8. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Yes, estate sales, Goodwill, antique stores, and similar places have been a waste of time and gas money for me personally where I live in East Texas. Not as bad as Northern Alabama and Tennessee but, where I live now in East Texas isn't any good for items like this.

A valid question is: When I pass away, what will happen to my old razors that someone like myself would really love and enjoy and how would they be found by those settling my estate?

ShaversRUs and Ron R like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Tell some one you would like them sold at antique store or sell them cheap on the forums to make sure they are dispersed.

ShaversRUs and sidpost like this.
  10. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Specifically mention it in your Will.

As my wife has told me regarding some of my other hobbies: catalog everything. (Not that I've done that yet myself, lol. I still need to get a Will made, up too.)

Yes, gas is a factor well worth considering. Especially with the price of gas -- in general I've made it a habit to try to kill many birds with one stone when I need to drive somewhere -- what other stores are on the way, etc. - that's the time to buy stuff at that particular store. Plus, at least for me, the temptation to buy a collectible is much greater in person when you have the item in hand -- I always feel "well, I've already driven here, etc." As much as I like to support brick-and-mortars (for everything, not just collectibles), often it is just more convenient and inexpensive to buy on-line.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. Ratpoison

Ratpoison Well-Known Member

:signs011:

PLANofMAN and ShaversRUs like this.
  12. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I have a full set of documents for my death or incapacitation (living wills, durable powers of attorney, etc.) but, nothing specific for the smaller things like my razors and Japanese kitchen knives.

And yes, I think a razor for more than $100USD is super expensive but, I have kitchen knives that make that look like loose pocket change!

Why would anyone buy a $250 razor! :happy108:

A $350 knife to cut lettuce! Why not? :eek:

On a more serious note though, some written direction on what to do with things like my razors that don't seem to have much value but, are valuable to people like a new wet shaver with modest means and, those kitchen knives really should go to the right forum and not some estate sale. If it was a chromed-out Harley Road King, pretty easy but, I probably have more than that in my knife cabinet.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Just a note on using single edge razors that take GEM style blades if you never used one before. Do not shave them like a DE razor. They are meant to used at a similar angle as a straight razor which is blade almost parallel to the face. You put it close to perpendicular you are going to wind up with some serious razor burn. The angle for the most part is built into the razor head on a G-bar which is cap flat on the face then make any adjustment from there if needed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    ShaversRUs and sidpost like this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

$20? Nice score!

sidpost likes this.
  15. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Thanks! Yes, new to Single Edge razors and I plan to ride the cap initially.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You'll be riding the cap a lot longer than initially. I have most of the Micromatic line-up. They are all good shavers, and yes, it's worth waiting for good ones. Most (all?) replaters won't touch them.

I've found one in the wild. One (replated!) came from a BST listing here. All the rest came from the bay of E's.

sidpost likes this.