Alerts do not always work

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by ShaversRUs, Feb 28, 2023.

1. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Is there a known problem with alerts? For some reason, I don't always get alerts for threads I'm watching. I know my settings are correct, since I keep checking to make sure. Sometimes I'll get alerts for a given watched thread, then suddenly I won't for that very same thread.

Thanks

2. ShaversRUs

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Is it possible you had too many notifications and just missed it?

I can't see your notifications or do any tech work on the forum software, so I'm just guessing.

4. ShaversRUs

Nope, because you can see all your alerts after the fact. That one is not in the list.

5. ShaversRUs

6. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I look through the New Posts is because
    Alerts Do Not Always Work.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  7. ShaversRUs

Thanks. I least I know it's not just me. They should remove the alerts option then. But what do I know?

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

My alerts work OK. Got this box checked in your Alert Preferences?

1.jpg

Queen of Blades and ShaversRUs like this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

If you are using tapatalk I would lay the blame there. If you are using tapatalk, the last I knew it costs TSD money to pass the threads through.

10. ShaversRUs

Yup, I get alerts for most watched threads.

11. ShaversRUs

Nope, using Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. I get the majority of alerts. Occasionally, there is a thread it does not seem to like. However, I got an alert for the reply a few ones above this one, by DrStrange, but not for the last 2.

Not sure why the browser would make a difference. The alerts don't get sent through any other messaging mechanism; I just click on "alerts" on the menu to see them. Not sure why anyone would be "charged" to display something under a menu item, anyway, based on the browser being used.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Tapatalk is an app, and Windows 10 is an OS (Operating System).

13. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I don't actually know how it is implemented,
    but the feeling I get is that there is a queue of limited size of watched threads
    and that priority is assigned to the watched threads based on some criteria unknown to me
    and that some watched threads just fall off the end of the queue.

14. ShaversRUs

Thanks.
    Well, that makes more sense, and would have nothing to do with the browser (app) used to access TSD. But the updates to threads still makes it to the "watched threads list." And Alerts still shows all the other "stuff", like someone likeing your post.

I will implement the "Henny Youngman" solution*. I will turn off alerts and just look at "watched threads", since the latter works and serves the same purpose (for me) that alerts do. And I have to go to "watched threads" anyway since "alerts" misses stuff.

"Doc, it hurts when I go like that."
    "Don't go like that."

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023