Beauticone Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by urrlord, Feb 27, 2023.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I was browsing the big river last week and ran across this shavette . Beauticone rosewood handle w/100 blades for 9 dollars. Had to take a look. Hmmm. Rosewood handle with some relief / engraved slashes in the handle./scales.Black powder coated razor handle and stainless steel slide lock blade holder and 100 Crown half blades.A brand I have never tried. All for 9 dollars.So the purchase button was hit.
    It arrived early. It was in the evening so I did a quick shave to get a feel for it.Face wash and massage and application of frankenlather mix of Bolero Charcoal/Eucalyptus cream and Indian Old Spice Musk cream. Let that sit a few minutes and reapplied after loading the razor into the shavette.Did 2 passes N-S and diagonal.
    The Crown blades....well when I opened the pack the made in Pakistan print made me a bit trepidatious as my experience with blades of that origin has been below par. Well these are a bit better than the ones used in the past.The blade did an alright job, no tugging but it did feel a bit draggy if that makes any sense.
    The shavette itself s a little on the light side ,which is a criticism of it on line.The razor is supposed to have an adjustment screw ,mine is just pinned. The wooden handle is nice looking .The razor handle is powder coated aluminum in black with company name on the business end .The slide lock is stainless steel .No burrs or defects noted in the manufacture of the unit.The blade exposure is greater than on my current one just by eyeball maybe a .5 mm.Not much but it does call for extra care in use when you are used to less blade exposure.
    Result - a decent shave

2nd day
    different cream mix but the same result ,perhaps a little better due to the new cream mix.

All in all a good shavette ,worth buying.I have paid more for worse.The blades well ...I need to play with them a bit longer to form a firm opinion.

2. urrlord

I have a correction to make. The Crown Blades are made in Egypt not Pakistan.
    After 5 days of use the blade is done for. Days one and two the blade was ok, a bit draggy.Days three and four the blade was smooth with audible scritch of the whiskers being severed almost BBS on the cheeks each day. Day 5 not as smooth and left discernable redness on mycheeks and neck and a splash of Marmara purple a/s burned quite a bit. It was removed after this.

3. urrlord

[​IMG]
    note not my image

4. urrlord

Just a note:I pulled out my old no name shavette and compared it to this one. The beauticone has twice as much blade exposure. Adjust your technique accordingly if you get one.

PLANofMAN likes this.