30 Day Rule/Focus; June 2023. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Jun 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi everyone!

Once again, I want to thank everyone who participated in this thread last month. We all had wonderful shaves. Some of us acquired new additions to their den and therefore congrats are order. Without you, the thread wouldn't be here. So again, my heartfelt thanks to each and everyone of you.

For most of us, the summer solstice is in a few weeks and it is when we enjoy outdoor activities like going to the beach, picnics, Sunday drives, concerts and maybe a block party. For those south of the equator, skiing, drinking hot beverages, sharing the warmth of the fireplace and shoveling snow. May we all enjoy whatever season that is upon us.
    Also, this is the month for graduation and weddings as well as Father's Day. I hope you dads get a nice new shave items for your den from your wives or children. Anyway, let's get on with this shaving intro.

Monthly Themes
    Going back in the archives, one of my predecessors introduced Just the Basics June as a monthly theme. It's using shave items that got you started during the early years on your wet shaving journey. All of us started on inexpensive razors, soaps
    , etc.
    You get the idea.
    A second possible monthly theme would be Jagger or Gillette June. Again, the theme is self-explanatory.

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this thread!
    I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave.

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

The Focus
    For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great June of awesome shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Herm2502, brit, ChrisB and 2 others like this.
  2. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

A great Introduction to June.:)

brit, ChrisB, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  3. palmolive fox

1st June 2023.

4.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Dove Men+Care Clean Comfort Body + Face Wash.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears Original Transparent Bar Soap.
    Brush: Fine 24mm Synthetic.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: Fine Fresh Vetiver Classic Shaving Soap.
    Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum. (D2)
    Razor: 1940's Thin Handle Gillette Flat Bottom Tech. (ENG)

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. / Blue Stratos ASL./ Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel.

(Gillette Tech & clone focus month)

Greetings,

A relaxing shave to start June which I will be doing a Gillette Tech & clone focus for the full month carrying on pairing them together with an assortment of DE blades.

Another enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

brit, ChrisB, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice shave Barry.

brit, Trigger and palmolive fox like this.
  5. palmolive fox

Thank you Joe...Gillette Techs' are a such wonderful shavers.:happy088:

brit, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful introduction to the month Joe. I will be going with the theme I used last June. Since a good portion of the month is the zodiac sign of Gemini I will be using the exact set up, software and hardware for two consecutive shaves. There will be a modification to this year’s Gemini shave as I will reserve my Sunday shave to a non Gemini themed shave. Also, I am considering using only two soaps during the Gemini shaves, the Calle Ocho and the WK King of Oud. However, I reserve the right to slip in a curve ball or two.

7. Trigger

Thank you Barry.

JACarbone and brit like this.
  8. Trigger

Great start to the month Barry! I like your focus as well. Enjoy your afternoon.

JACarbone, palmolive fox and brit like this.
  9. Trigger

Thanks Joe. Looking forward to your posts this month.

JACarbone and brit like this.
  10. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

1 June 2023

37 hours

Planned Set up for tomorrow,

01 Jun 2023 border.jpg

I was planning to only shave tomorrow, but thought I would try my new lather bowl in the evening as a practice run. Such voluminous and slick lather I had to shave!

Poor prep, less than usual face prep, tepid but not hot water soaks.
    T&H Sandalwood, Plissoft brush. Dipped brush in water, shook dry. Loaded from the upside-down-tub for around 20s and into the bowl.

Razor =Eversharp Hydromagic black handle L-1
    Blade = Personna Injector PTFE blade (5) It’s been two weeks since I last used this.

Rough shave from the get-go. The blade felt very rough, more so than the prior times I used this. Weeper below left jawline despite using very light touch. Had to leave some stubble behind. Thayers and Cerave Facial Cream to the rescue.

Disappointing start start to June: Score 5/10

Minus 1 for poor prep
    Minus 1 for a very uncomfortable shave
    Minus 1 point for weeper
    Minus 2 points for left over stubble

Question: I should be able to get 5 days out of an injector blade, right?
    Maybe my face is not a SE candidate.

Let’s see what the weekend brings. Onwards and upwards. I need to set my Focus for June...

Hoping your Thursday and Friday shaves are way better!

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

To me, this month opened with a nice shave for a Throwback Thursday. Goose eggs on the cuts, Knicks, Polka-dots.The Lime Burst soap looked very dry, thirsty. I added some water to it, which helped. Didn't overdo the water-good. The Stoylin bodywash proved to be a great setup for the shave. I think this is my 3rd Stoylin Bodywash...Doc Ezlovan did good with this. As this month begins, I have two focuses(foci?)...the area around the Ingrown Swamp at North Csctus Nation, and NW Porcupine Alley seems to be growing some hair too. Two areas to work with on each shave.. The "Drops Of Lime" A.S. is the coolest of my 3 Gabels. I will rotate that coolness with my Stoylin Glacial Lime as it gets warmer. Mutamayez from the House of Swiss Arabia to close. Most Outstanding.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  12. Trigger

It's rare that we get a subpar shave, but it does happen to everyone. The number of shaves on any blade depends on the beard, skin and technique of the shaver. Of course, the brand and type of blade plays into it as well. Personally, I can get 10 shaves with an Injector Blade, but that's pushing it for me. I agree that you should get at least 5 shaves from an Injector. It's possible that you may have a "bad" blade from your tuck. In any event, I would replace the blade.

ChrisB, JACarbone and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

fine start to the month gents.:cool::bounce017:

14. brit

brit in a box

thursday
    schick "66"/schick
    phantom aerolite
    proraso blue
    nautica

[​IMG]

good day gents,
    happy june.
    i'll be here doing the usual.
    mostly gillette june of course,will keep attempting to 3017 stuff.
    well,we do daily anyhow right..;)
    fine "66" shave today.
    awesome
    have a fine thursday everyone.
    :eatdrink047:

15. Paul Turner

King of Oud sounds good, but...too$$$ for me.

JACarbone, Trigger and brit like this.
  16. Paul Turner

I hope your "leftover stubble" doesn't become Ingrown Hairs.

17. Trigger

Mr Consistency keeps rolling along with a great start to the month!

ChrisB, brit and JACarbone like this.
  18. Trigger

June 1 SOTA

Good afternoon.

Assured for Men DE Razor
    Assured for Men DE Blade (4th use)
    Omega Pro 49 Boar Brush
    Stirling Intrepid Man SS
    Proraso Green AS ( not pictured)
    Stirling Alum Block
    Beard Growth: 25hrs

20230601_131140.jpg

In keeping with a beginner's setup theme, I picked out my Dollar Tree razor with the accompanying blade that came with it. Stirling was one my first artisan soap in my early days and I have never been disappointed with its soap. Here's the evidence:

20230601_132020.jpg

Did a 2 pass shave for an error-free BBS result. I had a slight mishap with the razor. Apparently, it got loose and thought I cut myself so I hit the area with the alum and it seemed to be fine. There wasn't any alum feedback and no stinging from the Proraso Green aftershave. Take care.

ChrisB, brit, JACarbone and 1 other person like this.
  19. Trigger

Hi guys. I was telling a gym buddy that I am into the old-fashioned way of shaving. He said that he had bought a razor, but decided not to use it because he felt the blades were too sharp for him. I am thinking that he didn't know how to shave with it because it's a mild razor and didn't have the heart to tell him.He asked if I wanted it because it was a sin not being used and he wanted someone who would appreciate it. I said sure. I am thinking it would be a nice pickup. I got it today and it's a MicroTouch One Blade TTO Razor. Tbh, I was a little disappointed because it's a rebranded Van der Hagen Razor and I already have one. Of course, I graciously accepted it. It included a stand and a bunch of blade tucks. Although I wasn't planning on expanding my den, I guess things just fall into one's lap. Here's the pic of my new items:

20230601_131001.jpg

ChrisB, brit, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  20. palmolive fox

Thank you Joe.

brit, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.