-Gillette's-Finest-Razors-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Stefano73

Stefano73 Well-Known Member

Yes behind

brit likes this.
  2. Stefano73

[​IMG]

Ron R and brit like this.
  3. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Friday
    Gillette Fatboy / Kai blade [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Ron R, Stefano73 and brit like this.
  4. stuartganis

Gillette Flare Tip (black handle) / Kai blade [​IMG]

Ron R and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Sunday, June 4th 2023

Razor : Gillette Fatboy, E4- Mfg 1959 4th qtr, well built to last for generations, I find this Gillette Fatboy one of their better razors from my shaving experiences, I get nice results and very few issues over the years of use + birthday yr razor.
    Blade : Personna red (3) sharp & smooth with great longevity. Top 5 tier blades.
    Soap : Yaqi Green, nice scented soap + excellent lather qualities. Yaqi commissioned M.S.Creations S.A for their line of soaps and aftershaves and did a nice job of it IMO. Green is one of my favorite scents.
    Brush : Yaqi "Lucky dice" 26mm Tuxedo knot, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice big handle for large hands and a joy to use.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(7) + ATG(7) + pickups(8 setting).
    Post shave : Yaqi Green[​IMG]( similar to Lacoste green cologne) with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : [​IMG] or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gillette Fatboy with a Personna red blade.
    [​IMG] Have some great shaves!

stuartganis and brit like this.
  7. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Another superb razor and pic, Gary.

At some stage when I have time I need to go through the 2 Gillette Threads and catalogue and admire your collection!

By the way, does re-plating these vintage razors make any difference, to their performance I mean? Can this effect blade gap etc or not? Or does this depend on where you get this done?

I guess there are many of the members here who have used their vintage razors before and after plating, any comments?

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

thank you Chris.there are a few folks here who have replated razors and love them.they say there is little difference if it's done correctly.if too much metal is removed when polishing is done before the plating process there can be issues.mine are all original plating.all are slightly flawed finish wise but unmessd with mechanically beyond periodic maintenance.but i paid a bit for nice examples.all are used as well,no shelf queens here.;):eatdrink047:i sold my museum quality pieces.

ChrisB likes this.
  9. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Ok understood, thanks Gary, they are pretty flash to look at anyway, even if you don't class them as museum pieces.

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

thank you so much Chris.:)my original interest in gillettes was partly due to my grandad,a ww2 vet who was a gillette man since the 1930s,hence my big interest in brit techs of the era,he would have had at least one.;):eatdrink047:the mint museum pieces were too nice to use so kind of a waste for me just to sit there.

ChrisB likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

4th gen aristocrat
    pat pending ,all brass/rhodium plate
    #22 case long since gone

20230606_070009_edited.jpg

stuartganis, Stefano73 and ChrisB like this.
  12. Stefano73

Another tech but rare
    Aluminium 29 gr
    Handle is little different and base plate in aluminium
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ChrisB, stuartganis and brit like this.
  13. stuartganis

Gillette Fatboy / Gillette Stainless [​IMG]

brit, ChrisB and Stefano73 like this.
  14. stuartganis

Gillette Flare Tip (black handle) / Kai blade [​IMG]

Stefano73 and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

:):cool::happy088:

16. brit

brit in a box

very cool.late 1950s i believe.cap could be earlier.handle first seen in 1958

[​IMG]

Stefano73 likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

1948 aristocrat jr-later rocket case
    my favorite superspeed..:)

20230610_162601_edited.jpg

stuartganis likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

1939 #15
    original rhodium plating
    430 030 baseplate,no markings/pat #on handle

20230610_164211_edited1.jpg 20230610_164230_edited.jpg 20230610_164236_1_edited.jpg

stuartganis and Stefano73 like this.
  19. Stefano73

Gillette #77 With Rare paper case
    [​IMG]

stuartganis and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

#34 german tech,1953 ish

20230614_182839_edited.jpg

stuartganis likes this.