Farewell to Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF reformulation)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLANofMAN, May 24, 2023.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

luvin' my 3 Kent combs. :)

2. Paul Turner

Chris, sadly I never becme ONE with MWF;

Hembree and ChrisB like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Someone took away MY pacifier when I received my large Rise order....it was Rise SUPERfoam, not the original. But aaaahhhh, I still loved it.

Hembree likes this.
  4. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Thanks Ryan, duly noted and recorded. As usual you are a wealth of information.:happy088:

Paul Turner, Hembree and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There was a recent discussion on another forum about the difficulties of lathering MWF with silvertip badger. I figured, "how hard could it really be?" and grabbed my floppiest (aka luxurious) badger and went for it.
    IMG_1686073428406.JPEG IMG_1686073428691.JPEG
    I did my usual routine. Damp brush, well hydrated puck. Loaded, loaded some more, added water and waited for the big bubbles that are my cue to start building lather. Nothing. Added some more water. Still nothing. Added a few more drops. Still nothing. Frustrated, I splashed a puddle into the bowl. Finally saw the big bubbly lather start forming. At this point I pulled the brush back from the puck, and started to go into lather building mode, where the tips of the brush just skim the surface of the puck. The result?
    IMG_1686073429218.JPEG IMG_1686073429382.JPEG
    Squeezed the lather out and topped the brush like a sundae.
    IMG_1686073428860.JPEG
    IMG_1686073429051.JPEG
    That is a good lather. It's also about half the amount I normally generate and took four times as long to make.

My conclusion? Using a 'luxurious' silvertip on MWF is like fighting a forest fire with a squirt gun. It can be done, but it's going to take a very long time and it isn't the right tool for the job. If you're working with the tallow MWF/Kent, use a scrubby brush, like two-band badger, boar, or a stiff synthetic.

MWF is twice as dense as the average triple-milled soap. That doesn't always translate into 'harder' than the triple-milled soap, but you get the idea. Save the silvertips for creams and softer soaps... or for the new formula MWF, which is reputedly much easier to load and lather.

BamaT, Keithmax, ChrisB and 5 others like this.
  6. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

jtspartan, Hembree, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If you decide to order shaving soap from Kent (and have any hair left on your dome :rofl:), add a couple of pocket combs to your order. I trashed most of my cheap plastic combs a few years ago after trying a Kent comb.

Keithmax, jtspartan, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

No, there are others that will always be in the rotation. Variety is the spice of life. These should be enough to last me many years. Maybe all of them.

BamaT, jtspartan, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  9. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Maybe more ...
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hembree, Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Were those combs, to quote from the Gordon Lightfoot song, "The kind that drugstores sell"?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Hembree and wristwatchb like this.
  11. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Several reasons most likely, I suppose including beef and mutton shortage due to climate change and diseases wiping out livestock, trends toward vegetable-based soaps as tallow factories shutter due to world events affecting economies hard especially in Europe, and more customers preferring to go with vegan or vegetarian over animal-based products. Tabac and Fine Accoutrements lost their tallow soap base when the factory that produced it shut down, forcing them to find alternative ingredients for their products. Williams altered its formula years ago and it never really recovered from the loss of customers upset at the change. Corporations do respond to consumer pressure, but at the end of the day other factors limit what they can do to maintain product formulas.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I ordered 5 soaps from Kent (first time doing that). Didn't add any pocket combs. I already have a Kent made military hairbrush, and a vintage shaving brush. My wife also exclusively uses Kent hairbrushes as well these days. If you want quality, it's hard to beat Kent products.

This puts me up to 13 1/2 pucks.
    Nope. But I will use it at least half of the time. I figure it's a 25 year supply at that rate. And quite honestly, if I was forced to only use one soap for the rest of my life, I would pick MWF every time, Ralph Lauren Safari for Men being unavailable these last 20 years now, and me being on my last puck of that.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  13. wristwatchb

That sounds good, Ryan. It appears that you are well-stocked and quite familiar with the Kent lineup.

I have two Kent shaving brushes and several pocket combs to cover loss, breakage, gifting, etc. My wife has a couple of their makeup brushes. Years ago, I recall my sister having one of their manicure sets. If you buy in bulk, it's less expensive to order from them direct. They are a first-class company, and they could not have handled this current situation any better.

I ordered 12 pucks of Kent soap for me and a friend. Combined with my stash of Tallow Tabac, I'm set for awhile also.

I appreciate all the updates you've shared on the MWF reformulation. This has been helpful and educational. Thank you.

ChrisB, jtspartan, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

on the way ..
    [​IMG]

chevyguy, ChrisB, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

Congrats, but just one, Gary? ;)

16. brit

brit in a box

yes sir just one.:Dit's a fine soap.i buy another at the inflated price of $60(old spice price) when i am 85 or so..just for nostalgia's sake..;):eatdrink047:.i have way too many others,-just bought a captain fawcett tub also-to worry about mwf.it was and always will be a special occasion soap.:)
    [​IMG]

clint64, ChrisB, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i bought the kent version as to not contribute to mitchell's new reform ingredients..:D

BamaT, jtspartan, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1686180563822.JPEG IMG_1686180564017.JPEG
    My wife needed a hairbrush that she could blowdry through, and this ventilated brush fit the bill. It's also exceptionally lefty friendly, and very light, which was just a bonus. It was one of her Christmas presents this past year, and one she has really appreciated. It's rare to find a really ergonomically designed brush for left handed use. Kudos to Kent for doing so.

Keithmax, jtspartan, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on the Kent and Capt. Fawcett soaps. What scent of the Capt Fawcett did you get?

Hembree, brit and Frijolero like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Questiomn about that Kent soap....is it a twist-off top, like most artisan soaps of which we know? Or is there more to it?

brit and Frijolero like this.