Dr. Selby

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by oscar11, Jan 9, 2012.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried this soap yet? I just received Dr. Selby Lavender Luxury Shaving Cream (it's a soap) in the mail today. I"ll give it a try in the morning. Did a quick palm lather, a lot of soap with a minimal amount of loading. Slick, yogurt type of lather. I'd be interested in your opinions if you've tried it.

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I've been reading great things about this soap on a couple other forums. If I wasn't in the use it to completion mode right now I'd seriously consider picking some of this up. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it and hope you'll put together a review and maybe some pictures if I'm lucky!

3. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Very nice soap. As you said Very easy to load. Nice slick and plenty cushion. Smell is nice but not too exciting. Hope this helps. I am happy I have it.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First I'm hearing about it.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Steve, I heard about this soap before, but I never tried it!

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

What vendor carries this soap, as I've never heard of it?

7. oscar11

Razor Blades and More

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

A soap or cream that cracktar hasn't used... DANG. Jeff you need to step up your collection :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Thanks.

10. oscar11

dr selby 005_640x480.jpg
    I've had 3 shaves with Dr. Selby shaving soap. This is a little premature but I'll fill you in on my impressions. I'm not to sophisticated when it comes to stuff like this so take that into consideration. It my mind I break things into 3 categories, it's good, it's o.k., and it sucks. This soap is very good. It has a bright fresh clean scent, lathers well, has good glide and protection. It's number one attribute, is post shave, my skin feels great. It moisturizes very well. I'll finish out the month with this soap and form a more accurate opinion but all my initial impressions are positive.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Bumping this up since it seems to be the closest thing to a dedicated thread about this product, and I have a tub on the way.

This seems to be one of those rare traditional products that is relatively unknown outside of it's native country of Uruguay, and the Spanish speaking shaving forums. Most of the English speaking forums have about 3-5 threads on it, B&B has about 20, which is still ridiculously low for a traditional product that's been around for a long time.

The bowl is patterned off of the vintage Wrisley Spruce shaving soap container. It is a pearlessent cream color with art deco "sea shell" styling. The shaving cream is described variously as vibrant green, electric green, or zombie green. It has erroneously been called a triple milled soap. It is actually a triple concentration shaving cream, and is about the consistency of Prorazo in the tub. The manufacturer calls it a shave cream. We would call it a croap.

Most people call the scent a mild lavender, though I've read it being described as an iris scent, a floral fougre, grassy, and as smelling like cardamom. Very few people seem to agree on what it smells like.

It's a coconut oil and stearic acid based soap, with an ingredient list almost identical to Martin de Candre. It's sometimes described as "the poor man's MdC." Fans say the performance is near identical, detractors give the edge to MdC.

It was available at the U.S. retailer Razorblades & More, then was unavailable for nearly a decade. It is now carried at Bullgoose Shaving and Maggard's.

Interestingly, it is very nearly the only traditional wet shaving product brand available in Uruguay, and is widely available there.
    Screenshot_2023-06-04-15-39-38-63_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg Screenshot_2023-06-04-15-40-01-58_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg

12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I picked one up Saturday at the Maggard's meet up. Tonight was my first go at it. It was also my first time using a Henson razor. I probably should have held off on that and used something more familiar. Oh well.

The scent? I won't spoil its record of no one agreeing on it. To my nose it leans closer to eucalyptus than lavender. Not what I expected, but I do like it.

The consistency is harder than Proraso. More like Arko. (Stick - I haven't tried the Arko tub.) I can't imagine trying to squeeze this stuff out of a tube, so those must be a different formulation.

Lathering was silly easy. Short load time. Bowl lathered. Enough for 3 passes + touch ups, and at least another pass washed down the drain. Slickness seemed pretty good. But I need to try it with some more razors. When I was done, it rinsed clean. Didn't seem terribly drying, but I didn't wait too long for the aftershave.

And points for presentation, for sure. Love the bowl. I'll be keeping it to put other things in.

brit and jtspartan like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

surely..after decades of years of soap making in dozens of countries..oh this one is a hidden gem..:scared011:

PLANofMAN and Frijolero like this.
  14. Frijolero

It has the magic ingredient: scarcity.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i am so done..soap is soap.;):eatdrink047:

Frijolero and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    3x concentration. I assume the stuff in the tube has 3x the water content of the stuff in the bowl.

Eucalyptus!? I hope that's not what my nose picks up. I'll settle for an artificial lavender, thanks. Not sure I could handle a eucalyptus scent.
    Poor man's MdC. I've never heard it called a great soap, or a bad soap. Sucks to be average. Nice that it's available in North America again for those who want it.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. Frijolero

Okay, forget I said that. I sniffed side by side with a couple of eucalyptus scented things. Definitely aint that. I'm just still not sure what it is. Maybe some really sharp lavender in there, but something else I can't quite put my finger on.

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Do you have any cardamom in your spice cabinet?

My bowl of Dr. Selby is arriving tomorrow. :)

Frijolero likes this.
  19. Frijolero

I'll have to check.

:happy088:

20. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I think you're gonna like it. It's "greatest" is subjective but I find it to be a right fine soap

Frijolero and PLANofMAN like this.