Modern SE (Single Edge) razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Jun 6, 2023.

1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Other than the Razorock Hawk and Bullgoose Shaving Asylum razors, are there any new razors in the moderate price class that are good options? How do the Hawk and Asylum compare?

TIA,
    Sid

Hembree likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think Yaqi makes some.

Hembree likes this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The General is nice.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.
  4. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I have the one I believe is called an Excalibur and it is ok for a ~$15 razor but, nothing to get excited about.

Hembree likes this.
  5. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Where is a good place to find one?

Herm2502 and Hembree like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

What blade format(s) are you interested in? AC (Artist Club) blades, injector blades, Gem style SE blades or razors like One Blade that use exclusively Feather Fas-10 blades that were designed originally for Japanese Autostrop razor clones.

7. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I'm covered with Injectors and I am looking for a better AC format blade that isn't >$200. I tried a ~$14 Yaqi "AC" Excalibur and like the format but not the razor so much. I have a gently used Razorock Hawk V2 coming but, it isn't here yet.

Ran into a post about a Polish Stando razor but, there is very little written about it so it is an open question. At ~$160 though, it is pushing the price point pretty hard.

The Asylum gets reviews suggesting it is a blood letter.

Hembree likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I get why people like the AC blades but the razors are poorly designed for them. These are not DE blades and not because they don't have edges on both sides but because they are too thick to flex unlike DE blades. You have any extremely narrow workable angle, gap, exposure that is in the blades most efficient cutting range and I've yet to use a single AC injector that is acceptable to shave with. With that said the only AC razor I've ever used that wasn't a total dud was the razorock Hawk V3 open comb. Frankly you are better off buying a $5 plastic shavette and using guarded AC blades like Feather Pro Guard AC blades.

Hembree likes this.
  9. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Just a point of clarification: AC blades are not Injectors. AC blades are ~50mm wide and Injector blades are ~38mm wide.

10. delislave

delislave New Member

Don’t forget the Supply razor!

FWIW the Asylum injector has become my absolute favorite razor. It’s nimble and efficient enough to get me BBS easily and every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Not sure. I bought this from another member.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

12. WhyAreYouMe

WhyAreYouMe Active Member

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That razor has been around for years, usually out of stock for months on end before you can get them. There should be some threads here and elsewhere on the razor. My recollection is it was considered mild.

WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  14. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

This one ain’t to bad at all. Alpha Shaving’s Claymore Evolution. Equally as smooth as an RR Hawk V3 with slightly better cutting ability and still easy on the skin. Just a notch or two under the Blackland Vector on pure cutting performance but, it exceeds the Vector on ease of skin feel & comfort, at least in my experience with the Claymore Evo.

509F6747-D43C-4493-BB22-E5735AE228B2.jpeg

brit, Tdmsu and WhyAreYouMe like this.
  15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

brit, PanChango and WhyAreYouMe like this.
  16. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

Shield razors on Ali Express make great SE razors gem,1/2 de and ac options available

WhyAreYouMe likes this.
  17. The only injectors that seem to have gotten good reviews were teh ones that were exact clones of schick injectors post 1970

18. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Update:

I got a Yaqi all Stainless Steel Romulus! It is an awesome AC format razor for the price. I didn't get mine on sale but, in the upcoming 11.11 "single day sale" expect to see them again for ~$55.

This razor is nimble on my face and shaves well with the Feather AC blades. DFS to BBS with little effort and the blades last 10 shaves or more on average. Weepers are rare for me with this razor as well but, if I really screw up I can get it to bite gently and draw some blood which is totally on me and bad technique or a general lack of attention.

Herm2502 likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You have 2 versions. the first which are now discontinued are the ones that are exact copies of the Type O Shick injectors. They are now a collectors item. Then you have the ones that are visual copies of the Type L injectors, they are not exact copies, the guards have teeth on them which the original Type L injectors never did except for the easy rider variants and shave differently from both. I personally was never keen on them but for the price they are worth rolling the dice on if the interest is there.

20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just went to the community mailbox to pickup my new Yaqi Romulus 316SSP SE Razor. Almost like a child at Christmas time wanting to unwrap a present it felt like(I have done this a # of times over the years and still enjoyable experience).
    First impressions the head is smaller than the my Yaqi Excalibur head and working on a wash cloth is a must to assemble IMO. It has a nice feel in the hand + weight and nimbleness is right on the mark for myself (one of the reasons I bought it).
    I have not used it but it is a nice razor and very hard to machine such small parts accurately + finish and machining QC looks impressive in my quick visual evaluation so far. My Schick proline P30 blades fit in place Ok and they are my go to most of the time with my Yaqi Excalibur, I have used my Feather pro blades also and shave similar also to the Schick proline blades.
    Pretty much what you fellows have already mentioned, tomorrow will be my first shave and hopefully it works well with the blade they supplied, I believe it is a Feather).
    (Bottom right hand corner photo is the new Romulus head and my Yaqi Excalibur head comparing sizes.)
    Romulus 316 SSP SE razor with handle just arrived..jpg
    Have some great shaves!

glassmtn and Herm2502 like this.