De Vergulde Hand

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Frijolero, May 9, 2023.

1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Finished my 3017 last week, so now I'm catching up on things I bought over the last 4 months. Among them was a few De Vergulde Hand shaving sticks.

There's an ancient thread here with some real love for this soap. And a couple of poo poos.

I don't quite share the enthusiasm. I'd say good. Pretty good even. Not stellar. In fairness to the cheerleaders, it's also not 2007 anymore...

First off, ingredients:
    Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Laurate, Aqua, Kaolin, Glycerin, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum, Ci 77891, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Limonene, BHT, Tetrasodium Iminodisuccinate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin.

A few changes there since 2007. Potassium & sodium laurate replace cocoate. Added BHT? And tetrasodium edta is replaced with something that manages to sound even less appealing.

Here's my thoughts after 3 shaves.

Nice cologne scent. Not a trace left after the final rinse, so no worries about clashing.

I was able to get a creamy, slick lather easily.

Slickness isn't top tier, but it's pretty good. Probably because of the kaolin. Residual slickness, though, is not there at all. Also because of the kaolin.

The first 2 shaves were with an Injectomatic. Both went great.

The third, tonight, was with a straight. It was acceptable. Just acceptable. Nice to know I can if I have to, but I won't again unless I have to.

Post shave, a little drying I guess. Not terribly so. Losing the coconut oil probably helps there vs the old formula. But it rinses clean, doesn't leave my face gooey or sticky. I prefer to leave the skin care to the aftershave, so that's a plus for me.

I give it a thumbs up overall. It's a keeper, for safety razor shaves only.

PLANofMAN, macaronus, Ron R and 5 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one that thinks it's mediocre. IMO, the B*Pure shave soap from Dollar Tree is a better soap.

Frijolero and Peenemunde like this.
  3. Peenemunde

Peenemunde New Member

First time tonight using B Pure. Wasn't expecting much, but it lathered well, blade glided easily. I got a nice close shave. Was kinda hard to wash off, but that seems to be a good quality as it means it stays on during shaving, and it continues to moisturize. Can't complain for $1.25 at Dollar Tree. I may even have paid a buck. I'm forced to use it tonight because I ran out of the aerosol. I'll use again.

PLANofMAN and Frijolero like this.
  4. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I’ve been using it for a long time and quite recently I received the newer version of it called Extra Fris. This one smells nothing at all like the original VGH - it contains eucalyptus oil but has a very nice aquatic scent. To me both versions are wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frijolero likes this.