Pearl Flexi Adjustable Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't rattle either. @Tallships has good advice.

cliffb599 likes this.
  2. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

Also, loosening the knob that holds the plates together would probably help, too. With TTOs, I always remove the blade, pat dry, and dry the plates of razor. I rest the blade back in it with everything opened until the next shave.

But...

I currently don't use TTOs nearly as much as 3 pieces. I should have realized this before --- just loosening 2 or 3-piece razors up after shaving would probably help enormously to circulate air. Of course, complete disassembly after every shave would be fool-proof. It is a pain, though, parrticularly with razors where you have to fiddle with the blade for proper alignment.

I'm currently using an Astra SP in a Gillette New LC, and I'm not seeing any additional staining. (Since I had removed it from the Flexi.) I'm not loosening up anything, either, after shaving. It really comes down to the blade clamping, I presume.

Most will have a minor rust/tea spot on the blade and underside of the top cap after a week of shaving -- when it seeps onto the exposed part of the blade is when I get perturbed.

cliffb599 likes this.
  3. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

After drying Flexi and before reasembly I lightly blow down the screw post hole and re-dry the knob area, then reassemble

cliffb599 likes this.
  4. ShaversRUs

Yes, doing that guarantees the blade won't rust. The thing is, do you do it after every shave?

I'm too lazy to do too much work after the shave. It is already a ritual without disassembling it -- rinsing the razor, rinsing the brush, drying the razor with a towel, blowing on it, rinsing the bowl (if you use one), drying off the soap/cream container, shaking out the brush, drying the bowl, wiping down the sink counter from the mess you've made, etc.

I've cut my actual shaving time down a lot with experience -- meaning the time after the lather is on your face, and you are actually shaving -- that I believe I spend more time on the prep and clean-up.

cliffb599 likes this.
  5. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

After Every Shave I rinse Everything with a Soft Children’s Toothbrush.
    Then Dry have been doing it this way for Over 30 years. Has worked For Me.
    YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry likes this.
  6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've been cleaning and drying my razors after EVERY daily shave for over 60 years, this is why just for one, my Gillette Slim works just as well as the day I bought it back in 61 and by running the blade under warm water, snap or pat drying it makes everything ready for the next shave also cleaning my shave area makes my wife happy. (Happy wife, happy life;))

cliffb599 and Terry like this.
  7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I add a little dish soap to the tooth brush here.
    Only takes a drop.

It keeps my tools clean and scum free.

tp

cliffb599 likes this.
  8. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

You want a flawless Shave. Drop a Wilkinson Sword Saloon pack Blade in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ShaversRUs

Interesting fix:

I originally had the problem, but exchanged it for a new one. It was better, but I'm not sure that it's 100% perfect. Didn't really matter to me, though, since on the low settings I use, it looks fine.

The first few version of the Yaqi TFC adjustable had the same issue. Everyone kept talking about replacing the spring with a stronger one, which never made sense to me. Now that I see this fix, it's obvious that it's not the strength of the spring, but the flatness of the ends.

Now, do you really need such expense equipment to fix the spring, as in the video? Wouldn't a simple hand file do the trick?

Isn't it ironic that the cheapest part of the razor is the part that causes the defect? It is "the weak link in the chain." Murphy's Law.

If I were Pearl, I would start selling it as an adjustable slant and charge 2x as much, lol.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    BigMike and cliffb599 like this.
  10. ShaversRUs

I wasn't specifically looking for more info on this issue, but I saw in some youtube videos of guys reviewing new razors something interesting. They disassemble the cap/baseplate to check what's left after rinsing. If they still see shaving cream, then they know that this is a razor that needs to be thoroughly cleaned via disassembly after each shave. If not, normal rinsing without taking apart will suffice.

cliffb599 likes this.
  11. ShaversRUs

I took my Flexi for a ride again the last 2 shaves. This morning, I turned it up to 5. Smooth as silk. What changed for me? I shaved steep. That's the way to go for this razor...for me. Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp (green tuck) from India.

One thing that I've never noticed before -- one side has a bit more exposure than the other unless you fiddle with the top cap before locking it down. Since I'm removing the blade and rinsing all my razors after each shave now, I'm also not bothering to fiddle with blades before shaving unless it really has a lot of play -- like a Fatip.

cliffb599 likes this.