Finishing Balm vs. Cutting Balm

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 019, Dec 23, 2008.

1. 019

019 New Member

I haven't really been able to dig up much information regarding the Finishing balm. I remember reading in the Hydolast FAQ that the finishing sequence involved using Cutting balm but there since the Finishing balm is now available, has this changed? Is there a difference between the Finishing balm and Cutting balm?

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide!

2. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Two very different things.

The cutting balm is a jojoba based oil blend that can be added to your Hydrolast mix to get a very nice lubricating and skin conditioning effect. From what I've read regarding the use of the cloth Charles is promoting now, it's a core part of the mixing routine.

The Finishing balm, though I'm not sure what all it's made up of, is a much thinner liquid, almost watery. At the end of your shave, a few drops of that stuff mixed with some cube slag and applied by hand to your face will give you an amazing thin and ultra slick layer you can blade buff on until your face is completely BBS.

3. 019

019 New Member

Thanks a lot for the info Mike!

Do you have any personal preference regarding both of these balms? I have read that some people like to put a drop of Finishing balm in their mix while shaving as well as some people using the Cutting balm to finish off their shave much in the manner you described for the Finishing balm.

4. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I very rarely ever use cutting balm. I use a brush and have always made my mixes with a combo of cube, paste, and activator. I then finish my shaves with the Finishing Balm. Should you decide to give the cloth method a try, you'll likely want to use Cutting Balm for that.

5. 019

019 New Member

Very glad to know that Cutting balm isn't really a necessity. I've been getting awesome shaves with just a round and the paste (now doing this daily :D) but wanted to get just that much better on the finishing pass. Looks like Finishing balm is the one I'll have to try out first. Thanks again Mike!

6. wkodgzeke

wkodgzeke New Member

I think finishing balm was specifically designed for a last-pass scenario

7. ContenderhunterPA

ContenderhunterPA New Member

I usually use the cloth, cube, paste, and activator. Final pass is either activator or finishing balm. The cutting balm doesn't cut it for me.

Dave

8. tsmba

tsmba New Member

I only use CB to build my wet mix. I have used it for an in-the-palm-mixed slag ofr touch-ups....but switched to FB for that.