Maximus DE Blade Torture Challenge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jan 1, 2024.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

In the interest of testing DE blades, for their longevity, and my own boredom, I thought it might be fun to test some of our best known, and least known blades. I have done this, many years ago, and went past 40 shaves. The challenge is to get as many comfortable shaves as possible, from one blade, before tugging or irritation starts.
    Start by posting a Pic of the blade, and setup to be used. Then, chime in after every 5-10 shaves with the blade, to let us know how it is going. Let us know if you swap the blade into another razor, to help extend the shaves. Two shaves a day shouldn't be counted, unless your beard grows so fast that it needs it.
    Also, give advice to others, who are trying to extend their one blade shave.

Let The Games Begin!!!!

2. DaltonGang

I am starting with:
    6 Shaves, so far.
    Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless New Platinum "My Way" from Japan. Mouthfull for naming a blade.
    Gillette Fatboy restored by Razor Emporium many years ago
    @oscar11 Special Brush, with synthetic knot
    ARKO

I am keeping track with a notepad, and mark it off every time I shave, with a rating of the shaves, every 5 shaves or so.
    So far, this has been an exemplary blade. My first shave with it wasnt the best, because I was in a hurry, I didn't prep well, and I had a 4 day beard. After that, with the proper prep, the shaves have been great. With 6 shaves down, I see no degradation of the edge.

P1010161.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  3. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Yes. Indeed!!!

Lovely.

IMHE, a well beveled edge with a good coating gives the best after few shaves.
    For me, normally 3-6 is the start of the feeling if I love it or not.

4. brit

brit in a box

i will give it a go when my suneko blades arrive.i still have a tuck and a half of the original yellow package ones,but i'll save those for comparison.i got 19 shaves with a personna 74 before it irritated me,10+ from a spoiler.we'll see.will follow along.:):eatdrink047:

macaronus and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Pics of the a Personna 74 blade, with the razor you used would help some know what you are speaking of. Plus, Personna 74's are like the Holy Grail of razor blades. I don't remember if I did a longevity test on a 74 before.

macaronus, Carbide Mike and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

shave #1 with the personna 74 and tech hybrid.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/personna-74.66972/
    [​IMG]

7. brit

brit in a box

just arrived..:)
    [​IMG]

will load my trusty g-1 slim for tomorrow's shave.:)

20240104_111758_edited.jpg

8. DaltonGang

Since most of my shaves are with a straight edge, it should be interesting to see who squeezes the most out of this blade.

9. brit

brit in a box

very cool.i 'll keep the blade in the slim until dead,but may shave with other razors in between.;):eatdrink047:

10. DaltonGang

Shave #10
    Suneko

Still an excellent shaving blade. No degrading of the edge detected. No feedback with the aftershave.
    I have been using a light touch, and a 2 pass shave. So far, so good.

11. brit

brit in a box

shave #1,suneko,g-4 slim on 4,nice and smoothe,no issues.

DaltonGang and Carbide Mike like this.
  12. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

Will be interesting. Good luck with your progress!

DaltonGang likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

Feel free to join in. Use your favorite and toughest blade you have.
    My goal is to hit 50. From what I remember, several years ago, I was a few shaves over 30 with a Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    macaronus and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

shave #1-1st on this blade,2 blades in rotation.nice combo.
    -The-Weekender-
    brit rocket hd/suneko
    rubberset 400-3
    pdp
    alt innsbruck

[​IMG]

15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

On a tangent with your challenge, I did something similar last year. But this was a Twin Schick blade in a Schick model L. With 3 shaves a week it lasted... close to a year! Colour me impressed!

But I must add these were almost all of them shaves using shaving oil.

When I tried a new soap from a local soap maker last November and December it tugged quite a bit. Had I been shaving with soap every time, the blade(s) wouldn't have lasted this long.

So I guess shaving oil can be a factor in how many shaves a blade may last.

Karl G, SDK, DaltonGang and 1 other person like this.
  16. Charles Hall

Charles Hall Member

Are these suneko better than Ven Der Hagen blades I use with razor? Thank you very much.

SDK, DaltonGang and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

the earlier tucks had great longevity,we are testing this here at present.Better?,not sure what you mean.All blades feel different to other people.:)

18. DaltonGang

I am quite impressed, so far. I just received some more in the mail today.

SDK and brit like this.
  19. Charles Hall

Charles Hall Member

Never tried other blade yet. What means "earlier" tuck? Thank you very much.

brit likes this.
  20. Charles Hall

Charles Hall Member

Thank you very much.

brit likes this.