A bay rum thread

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by chazt, Jul 13, 2024.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Favorite CSNY 1(Helplessy Hoping, 2)Wasted On Te Way. Oh, right, this is a SHAVE den. :)

chazt likes this.
  2. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Good first effort, Paul. Let me get you going on the right track.. not songs, but artists. There are 5 musical acts/artists that sit atop my faves list. CSNY and The Bloody ‘oo are interchangeable in the 3 spot for me depending on my musical mood, so 3A and 3B. Flip them around and they’re still 3A, 3B. So that said, spots 1, 2 and 5 need to be filled in. Only one name in each place. Those three names will round out my top 5.

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. Paul Turner

My focus is more on songs than the artists themselves who sing them. I like to think I have a good ear for music, having been in my H.S. Band(an experience I didn't care for, by the way), and other factors. I may like those CSNY songs, but it doesn't mean I'd go out and buy many CSNY albums. If a song "sounds good to me", I don't care much who sings it.

chazt likes this.
  4. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

I don’t pick up any clove, Paul. Just a really pleasing bay rum scent. Puts me on the beach with Gayle by my side. We’re holding hands, the waves are lapping the shore, a fine mist covers my sunglasses, the seagulls are squawking and doing lazy circles overhead, all while the sun casts our long shadows on the sand before us.
    :love055::happy069:

5. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

A member over at ATG posted about a special sale. Thought I’d pass along the 411. IMG_9149.jpg

wristwatchb, Paul Turner and TheBurgh like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Bill Shakespeare would be proud of your writing style in that post. So would Ernie Hemingway.

chazt likes this.
  7. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

IMG_9174.jpeg
    Hank ya. Hank ya furry mush.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  8. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I have a love/hate thing with Bay Rum. I really don’t care for the traditional West Indies style at all. Ogallala Bay Rum is a favorite of mine. It smells nothing like the traditional kind.

And then there is a third kind. When I first started wet-shaving, there was a soap maker called Ray’s of Colorado. The first hard soap I ever bought was a puck of their bay rum soap. God, I loved the scent of that soap. My all-time favorite shaving scent. Then they started dicking around with the formulation and ruined it. Both the scent and the lathering quality. The company eventually disappeared.

I eventually acquired some soaps that were similar in scent to Ray’s, although not quite as good. My wife bought them from vendors at various craft fairs. One vendor was called Soap Dudes, and other was called Natural Specialties. Both are very good soaps.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
    brit, Paul Turner and chazt like this.
  9. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Incoming…
    IMG_9182.jpeg IMG_9183.jpeg

wristwatchb, Primotenore and brit like this.
  10. Paul Turner

chazt likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

My next Bay Rum soap(when the time comes)willl be that from Sir Hare Co. I like Sir Hare a lot. All types have that old-school scent. This will be my first purchase of their Bay Rum, but I'm sure I'll like it.

gadabout likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Doc Presley's fans should have all said "YOU'RE WELCOME" when he "thanked" them.

chazt likes this.
  13. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Yep ;)

Paul Turner and wristwatchb like this.
  14. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

This is interesting to me. Can you describe how you went about the process? How did you determine the quantities of each ingredient? What tools did you use, etc.?

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I go about it sloppily. All I do is add them, roughly in reverse propotion to strength, to a new glass bottle. So by volume, approximately:

Stephans 40%
    Suavecito 30%
    Avon 15%
    Superior 70 15%

And about a tbsp of Lucky Tiger a/s face tonic (not the BR)

Those BR fragrances get sharper (to my nose) towards the bottom. I didn't want the more potent to overwhelm the more subtle so diminishing amounts were added.

Since they're closely related scents to start with, I had an idea beforehand what the result should be, and it ended up close enough.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
    chazt likes this.
  16. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Gotcha, thanks. And transferring the liquids was done by pouring or with a pipette? Like you said, it seems that it could be a messy and sloppy process.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Normally a tiny funnel, but this mix went in a glass bottle with a neck big enough to pour straight into. Yeah, that label...

Compress_20240726_093355_5770.jpg

Stephans provides a mellow (and inexpensive) base and background. Suavecito gives a good mix of very lovely scents. Avon is slightly sharp and punchy--combined with S-70 (a very basic BR) they lend just the right touch of pungency that doesn't overwhelm everything else. The Lucky Tiger is buried but it's only there to soothe, not to be noticed.

Stephans and Suavecito mixed 50/50 would be pleasant on its own, with no chance of offending anymore.

chazt likes this.
  18. Paul Turner

With me, it's just one at a time-no science involved.

chazt likes this.
  19. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

I have a bunch of empty AS bottles, so I’m thinking about blending in one receptacle and transferring to bottles. Will need to buy a small funnel should I decide to go ahead with it. I don’t know why it got into my head, it just seems like a fun experiment…

…and it seems that clearly other gents have had the same idea!

Paul Turner and gorgo2 like this.
  20. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

@gorgo2 , the label’s cool. It matches the vibe :happy088: