Airing out fragrances

Discussion in 'Scents' started by gorgo2, Jul 26, 2024.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you read many reviews, eventually you come across guys who insist some bottles will need "aired" before the juice inside smells like it's supposed to. That can mean leaving the cap off for awhile, or giving a new sprayer a dozen pumps and letting it rest before using it (I think we all know to air out decants from plastic to glass but that's a little different).

The only time I had to do this with an new glass bottle was Agua Brava. At first all I got was that bomb of kitchen spices and pine. Pino Silvestre and Ragu. It was awful. I've never pitched a new bottle of anything before but I came really close.

But after giving it a dozen pumps and leaving it alone for a over a week....it's still not going to be a favorite but NOW it matches the basenotes pyramid and is weekend wearable.

How often, if ever, have you found airing improved the first whiff?

chazt and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

my new bottle 0f 1995 vintage aqua velva iced sport may benefit,smells like neat alcohol with a bit of fragrance in the background..the aftershave is worse.dumped it already and reused the bottle for current av sport..;)

chazt and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Aftershaves are so relatively weak to begin with, a 30 year old bottle could well have faded a lot, especially if it was ever stored hot. Avons, though, seem indestructible.

chazt and brit like this.