30 Day Rule/Focus; July 2024. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Trigger, Jun 30, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Awesome shave, pic and post Chris.

2. Trigger

Lol! Thanks Joe. Fellas, he is telling the truth, because he personally saw my fresh-shaved mug.

JACarbone and brit like this.
  3. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Thx Joe. I don't mind leaving a bit for the next shave

Thanks Joe. I love the Tabac, but also like mixing things up a bit

brit and Trigger like this.
  4. Trigger

Fabulous Fatboy Friday shave Gary.

palmolive fox and brit like this.
  5. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Another terrific cella shave.
    Man, that traffic sounds crazy. That would drive me nuts

Thank you kindly Joe

brit and Trigger like this.
  6. Trigger

Hi Ursa. You are always welcome to share your shaves and knowledge here.

ChrisB and brit like this.
  7. Trigger

Great shave Joe. Yes, the Belt Pkwy sucks big time.

brit likes this.
  8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Friday July 26 (noon) - Just One July and JM Fraser's July

Prep: Hot shower with Aleppo olive oil soap w/ 20% bay laurel oil

Razor: Supply 2.0 matte black stainless steel injector w/ SE "nickproof" comb plate / vintage American-made Schick Plus Platinum(?) (7)

Soap: J.M. Fraser's Shave Cream

Brush: APShaveCo 24mm SynBad fan

Lather Bowl: None

Last shave: Monday morning - 4 days

The usual Just One July setup - plus the ProRaso styptic gel:

IMG_20240703_175856_6_kindlephoto-9896163.jpg

I enjoyed a decent shave with this setup today. As usual, the JM Fraser's shave cream easily whipped up into a creamy slick face lather with sufficient in the brush for my two passes. One pass WTG and the second XTG everywhere and once again, I am a cleanshaven gent.

Unfortunately, after the first pass, I noticed a slight blood smudge on my chin. I either pressed too hard or else I nicked a small pimple. At the end of the shave, the smudge was no longer visible after my rinse and alum rub. The alum gave no feedback, so if I had pressed too hard, it was only momentarily and did not result in any razorburn.

However, I was heading out to run a few errands and had no wish to do so with a bloody chin. I therefore rubbed some of the ProRaso styptic gel on the area to make sure. It wasn't easy to do either - the gel is now quite gummy.

Incidentally, I just discovered a NIB styptic pencil in my bathroom storage cupboard. The gummy ProRaso styptic gel is going into the garbage bin. I will not be replacing it as it has a rotten shelf life.

Hope the week went well for everyone and you have a great weekend.

9. Trigger

Excellent shave John. Truthfully, I an more of an alum and styptic pen guy.. never tried the gel and based on your words, it seems the shelf life is not too long.

ChrisB, brit and Screwtape like this.
  10. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

How do you like the green Aqua Velva? I have tried only blue.

palmolive fox, Trigger and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.:):eatdrink047:

palmolive fox and Trigger like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

thanks again Joe.:):eatdrink047:

13. brit

brit in a box

love it,nice fougere scent..:):eatdrink047:

14. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.little scent left but glass bottles..;):eatdrink047:

Trigger likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.:):eatdrink047:

Trigger likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

fine friday affairs gents,:cool::bounce017::happy096:

Trigger and Screwtape like this.
  17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thanks, Joe.

The first time I tried that ProRaso Repairing Gel, I thought it was a great find. It was a runny liquid. I put a dab on my fingertip, touched it to the nick, and it soaked right in and stopped the bleeding instantly. Worked better than a styptic pencil. Then I didn't need it for a month, and when I pulled it out again, it had dried out to a gummy consistency and was barely usable. It seems to be like Krazy Glue - right after you open the tube, it works beautifully. And the next time you need it, it has dried out and is useless. Basically a "single use once opened" product...

ChrisB, Trigger and brit like this.
  18. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

I know I am really probably not supposed to tweak things in a 30 day, but I am past my major beginner issues, and the Hensen + must be idiot proof because I am an idiot, and it works great for me. I mean you should have seen some of my first DE shaves in like 2016 or 2018. Let’s just say it’s a good thing I bought a styptic pencil back then because my first DE shave 7+ years ago felt like I was pealing an onion and I had about 30 weepers.. I think the scars finally healed last year!

I couldn’t even beat up a good lather, lol!

The styptic pencil hasn’t been out of the drawer in probably 40+ shaves now!

Really though, I actually have gotten to where I love shaving now, and I get good to great results. I dread shaving with a cartridge and using my fingers to apply cream from a can makes me miss the brush and a bowl. Or is so satisfying one blade effortless gliding and scooping off a couple days growth.

Anyway, I love this razor. It really could probably not be better.

I am still trying to find the perfect blade. In that every DE on every face is different depending on the blade, the razor, the person, and the technique. Derby Extra is what I was using for this focus because I wanted the plastic container to dispose of blades, but I decided to try Derby Premium today see if I could feel the difference.

Wow I have a course beard and it is night and day. The Derby Premium is so much sharper.

I also changed from Paraso to Taylor of Olde Bond St. This is by far the slickest, richest, best smelling, easiest or later soap brand I have ever used. Their peppermint was great last year. I probably won’t buy a different brand much now unless given a strong recommendation.

This bowl and brush I really like though I wish it was slightly bigger and had deeper ridges. I really like this fine bristled soft 28mm synthetic, and it was cheap too.

I never tried a natural hair brush but might want to some day.

Here is where it is at thus far.

Here is my best shave in my life of shaving for 27 years now!

IMG_5913.jpeg

What’s crazy is I can still tweak this to improve. I am sure there is a better bowl, a better blade,etc. Maybe a better brush.. I could add an aftershave.

What I know for sure is I am NOT looking for a different razor for the next 30 years nor a different brand of soap unless this Taylor of Olde Bond St. Changes. Still in search of rhe best brush, bowl, and blade. I might buy a titanium Hensen, too I love this thing so much!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
  19. Trigger

Thanks Gary.

brit and palmolive fox like this.
  20. Trigger

Great post and shave. Warning: As you continue your journey, you may find yourself getting bored with the same soap, etc. Resistance is futile and you will eventually fall down the rabbit hole. Lol!

ChrisB, NETWizz, brit and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.