Which creams to try for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Punchy71, May 30, 2024.

1. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

This and WildRoot Cream Oil Charlie.

[​IMG]

chazt, elektrotasil and brit like this.
  2. MacDaDad

I know that most of you guys in here are way too young to remember things like this. Forgive the old man here for reminiscing. :):eatdrink047:

chazt, Ursa and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

it could be good,not tried to be honest.i have tried the canned nivea deep shave cream and it is good,just don't like canned product.
    i still think anything from a can suits cart shavers or"in a hurry"shaving..:)

Ursa, MacDaDad and blondblue like this.
  4. blondblue

blondblue Well-Known Member

Well, I've only tried Rise Regular, Rise Superfoam, Colgate, Gillette Foamy, Barbasol, and Edge....the "old-school" cans...so I can't comment on new wave. Eager to try Proraso, another "old-schooler".
    Nothing wrong with reminiscing in that persuasion.

Ursa, MacDaDad and brit like this.
  5. blondblue

blondblue Well-Known Member

Sorry my reply to you got mixed in with Mac's post.

brit likes this.
  6. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I recall getting KMF patchouli in a pump bottle. When I first started out. I liked it a lot too. After I finished it. I wanted to get another bottle and couldn’t find it anywhere. Heard rumors that it may have been discontinued?

Around a year or so later I found out that it was still available on line anyway. (KMF) but by then I started trying other soaps and creams that were on my to try list.

Ursa, Primotenore, MacDaDad and 2 others like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just nor a fan of creams, but that's me.
    I much prefer soaps.

Ursa likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Mmmmmm....no
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1560777251...b17a815a4d7a676cc9ce4&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0

Not that good.

MacDaDad, brit and Ksblazer like this.
  9. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

A few I can highly recommend:
    1. Proraso White and Green
    2. Nivea shave cream
    3. TOBS Naturals (unscented)
    4. Palmolive

11. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

The local brick-and-mortar stores where I reside in Northern Michigan, USA aren't well-stocked with shaving creams, and none offer shaving brushes. There's Barbasol and Foamy in cans, and Cremo in tubes.

I haven't tried Cremo, which is a brushless cream and doesn't lather (much). This type of cream does not interest me in the least, and I won't comment on products I haven't used.

For the canned stuff, Foamy is more foolproof than Barbasol. Both must be shaken well before each and every application, and both need to applied with a damp brush to get the very best performance out of them. You will need more water in your brush when deploying Barbasol. Both creams are 100% lathered up as soon as they leave the can--brush action won't make the lather bloom any further. You must add water to thin the lather, and add cream to thicken it.

If you elect to go with Foamy, get the Barbershop Fresh version mentioned above. If you can't find that, just get Regular.

For Barbasol, Soothing Aloe is the one I'd suggest trying first. Pacific Rush with Menthol and Caffeine is excellent, but seldom seen on store shelves. The Sensitive Skin version of Barbasol is best avoided.

If you don't have a brush yet, you need one. An inexpensive RazoRock synthetic brush should serve you well, and while you're ordering that online, get a tube of Proraso.

MacDaDad, Ksblazer, BBS and 1 other person like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

My personal knock with canned shave cream is it always dried out too quickly unless you speed shaved and it tended to also dry out the skin. Until I got into soaps and creams the only product I've found that didn't cause this problem was the Gillette gel in a can. With that said a good alternative to all this which is similar if not the same as the gel in a can and the gel on lube strips is ultrasound gel. That is some slick stuff, hypoallergenic and is cheap too if you buy it in a large bag. It also works well in tandem with other creams and soaps. Only thing I'd recommend is stay away from the blue colored gel since it goes on the skin clear and you can't tell if you already shaved an area or not. Get it in like the pink or green colored gel instead.

MacDaDad, Ursa and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool,i remember the gillette gel,it almost smelled like the gillette cool wave aftershave..:)

blondblue and MacDaDad like this.
  14. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

My problem with brushless creams in general is that there's no lather to indicate where you've already shaved, and that's a risky business when shaving with a SE or DE razor.

I still have a tube of brushless cream on hand to use up...and that will be done using a BiC disposable razor.

15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Application of canned creams with a damp brush--or, better yet, dispensing some into a shave bowl, adding water, and hydrating the lather with a damp brush--solves this problem for me.

If I just slathered canned cream across my wet face with my fingertips and shaved with it straightaway, the resultant shave wouldn't be as fast, as good, or as safe as using an electric shaver. I wouldn't bother with it for a quick shave.

MacDaDad likes this.
  16. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Me thinks all the Dead Heads grabbed it up....

brit, MacDaDad and Silvestris like this.
  17. MacDaDad

Those damned Dead Heads, Yo?:p:eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  18. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

I resemble that remark :signs001:
    Now, Burma-Shave is a product that I’d love to try. I have vague memories of driving with the family from NY to Indiana sometime during the mid-60’s (I was maybe 6 or 7 years old). I’d never heard of the brand before and couldn’t help but notice all the roadside placards every few miles. I remember Dad and I had a conversation about the unique advertising campaign. Do you recollect the scent of the original Burma-Shave? From what I gather, there’s only a PAA homage to the splash currently available.

MacDaDad likes this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I know a lot of folks like the Proraso, but I didn't care for it. I found the texture gummy. My favorite. for scent & ease of use is Pacific Shaving Co Natural. Easy to use & has a light citrus scent that does not linger.

20. MacDaDad

Sometimes when you're old and crusty, the Proraso white does wonders for the skin and lingering scents keeps the flys away. I like and use many but currently am using
    Saponificio Varensino Manna de Sicilia which to myself has the best fragrance/smell in the world and it lathers quite nicely. That's my story and you know the rest.