Benchmark soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rodd, Jan 8, 2009.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have been noticing that a lot of people seem to have benchmarks that they compare everything else to. (For example, I compare all other blades to 7 o'clock yellows.) I am curious to what your benchmark soap would be.

For me, it is TSD soap, it is the soap I use most often and have a lot of success with, so I find myself comparing new soaps with it.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

MWF!

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Same here, Rodd. TSD is my standard.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm new compared to most of you, but I go with MWF on soaps and KMF on creams. I reserve the right to change in the future.

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

DR Harris. Kind of my benchmark for both soaps and creams.

6. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Hmmm...I'm not sure I have just one. I tend to use an amalgamtion of my soaps to compare new ones. Granted, MWF and Harris are both firmly in that comparison standard! (As are Cade and Tabac...)

7. Leon

Leon Active Member

My benchmark soap is Tabac.:cool:

8. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Depends on the type of soap.
    For glycerin, it would have to be QED - any scent, take your pick (although I think the Lime is a general crowd pleaser).
    For triple milled, it is hard for me to say. I love my Speick, especially for the scent, but in terms of great performance and excellent value, I really like the Palmolive shave stick. Nothing special in the scent category, but the lather is wonderful.

9. JimR

JimR Active Member

Me too! Me too!

10. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Tabac for me.

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Erasmic for me, please! :)

12. Hiya,

When I'm trying a new razor or blade, I'll most often reach for the Institut Karite SS, or some DR Harris if the mood hits me. Those two are just a little more wonderful than the many other fine products I've used. If I can't get an amazing shave with whatever new tool I'm trying, I know at least the soap isn't the problem.
    Martin

13. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Tabac.....it just rocks

14. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

in over 6 months of using a brush I have only used soap maybe twice. so no benchmark for me with soaps. I do have some TSD soaps now so we will see.

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

yes, it does--I must to agree.

16. Heh, I couldn't tell you,

I bought some of that a while ago (peer pressure I'm sure), and man..............that stuff smells funky! I shaved with it three times I believe, hoping to have an olfactory revelation. Whew, I hadda give it up after that.......wasn't worth the grief.........heh. Can't remember how it performed, but that smell..........

Oh, YMMV.....
    Martin

17. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

williams. every new shaver should start with williams.

if you can make a good lather with williams, youre good to go.

18. Truckman

Truckman New Member

heh...MWF :angry019

+1
    +1
    +1
    :bounce017 :happy093

19. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Tabac

+1,000,000

20. soulshine