What's your "go to" DE blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by grampi, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Hiya,

Took me a while to sample lots of various razors, but I finally settled on the perfect one for me. These blades are all used in my fatboy. The thing is, the results are different with different razors. Yeah i know, nothing new in that idea....heh.

My two regular blades are the Gillette 7 0'clock sharpedge, and the Iridium. Months ago,I was lucky enough to order some of the very last Iridiums Paul had, and although splitting em with a member at SRP (pretty funny eh?), I still have enough for a while. What a great blade that is for me. Plenty of room for some 'slop' in technique ( very forgiving), but still extremely effective (pretty darn sharp). Quite a charming little number.

The third's a feather, whenever the mood hits me. They're especially good if I have a couple days of whiskers to whack..........like buttuh..........heh.

It's a relief to have reached this point, and it took a while, as mentioned earlier. A real PITA having to not only find the right blade, but the right razor to use the thing in. Definitely worth the small effort, since this info is something I'll be benefiting from for a hopefully long time to come.
    Martin

Oh.....as a reference point to my experience with blades: I've probably tried 20-25 different types, and by now I know exactly what I want a blade to act and feel like.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. grampi

grampi Member

I only get one shave from ANY blade. For $.10 a blade I can't justify exposing my face to a USED blade, so I put in a new blade for every shave. We've only got one face, why not baby it?

Douglas Carey and Carbide Mike like this.
  3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

4. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Astra Superior Platinums or Feathers, depending on the razor.

stanko and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Before, it was the Sharps, but now I have a few other good choices, such as the 7 AM's, the Nacets, etc.

6. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Thats it! & oclock are my goto blade now but the red IP's are still good. but upgrade!

7. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

+1

At present: Derby or Super Max Super Platinum.

8. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

Red-Pack Personnas for me. I like the Gillette "swedes" better, but they are too $$.

9. grampi

grampi Member

I'll try the 7 oclocks again, but my experience was that the Reds were better.

10. Milton

Milton New Member

Same here. Swedes are great, but Red IPs are much cheaper.

11. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Feathers if the growth is thicker than average and Derby's if not.

12. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

It was wally world personna's, but now it's crystal's.

Aaron

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

and they work very well for me in what ever DE i grab.. which is very very far and in between.

Fuzzy

14. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Mostly Feathers. I'll break out the Derby's once in a while (only when I need to be reminded of why I like Feathers so much).

stanko and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

Gillette, permasharp/sharpedge/swede.

Cheers.

J

16. blaireau

blaireau New Member

Gillette "Original" Swedes

17. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

No specific one blade yet. But its pretty narrow at this point. I use Astra superiors in my 50's SS. Gillette 7 o' clocks in most of my razors. Swedes and Irridium supers (RIP) in my HD.

18. grampi

grampi Member

I was told the Wally World Personnas are not the IP Reds. Don't know how true it is.

19. expatCanuck

expatCanuck New Member

Israeli Personna / Crystal most always.

Feathers in the Fat Boy on 3 or 4 on occasion.

20. Poulin

Poulin New Member

Lately I find myself loading up with a Gillette "Swede". My preference was previously for Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless.